- "Knowing I'm Growing"
Caillou's feet are growing, so Mommy takes him to the shoe store where the salesman measures his feet, and Caillou gets a new pair of shoes.
- Reading Rainbow
- "Hotel Animal"
This book explores math from a different perspective as two tiny lizards check into an oversized Hotel Animal. LeVar discovers some of the many ways math is used as the MATCHBOX car production team demonstrates its process for "shrinking" cars, and a submarine sandwich shop owner fills an order for a 6' long sandwich.
Do in Class
- Boohbah: Alternative Measuring - Take a piece of rope and determine which things are longer and which things are shorter than your rope.
- Caillou: Cooking with Caillou - Practice measuring skills and make a delicious snack using some of Caillou's favorite recipes.
- Cyberchase: Bianca's Body Math - Use your body to measure distance and everyday objects. (PDF)
- George Shrinks: Just the Size of George - Go on a search for items that are 3 inches tall. (Section 4)
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: Cookies - Practice measuring skills while making this cookie treat.
- Clifford: Measuring Up - Help Clifford measure lengths and sizes of objects in this online game.
- Clifford: Which Clifford? - Practice approximate visual measuring as you determine which size Clifford can complete each task.
- Curious George: How Tall? - Estimate measurements using non-standard units in this self-leveling online interactive game
- Cyberchase: Can You Fill It? - Use 3 different size pots to measure the perfect amount of water needed to fill a large container.
- Cyberchase: Poddle Weigh-In - Use a scale to determine each Poddle's number.
- Cyberchase: Wacky Ruler - Measure a family of cyber worms.
- PBS Parents Guide to Early Math: Time to Move - Measure each fish to determine if it should be in the large or small fish tank.
- Inchworm & A Half
By Elinor J. Pinczes and Randall Enos
Published May 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Co.
An inchworm likes to measure vegetables in a garden but is dismayed when she finds her measurement is just a bit off. A half inchworm comes to her aid as do a third inchworm and quarter inchworm. This would make a good introduction to measurement and fractions for children 4-8.
- Millions to Measure
By David M. Schwartz and Steven Kellogg
Published March 2003 by HarperCollins
There are millions of things and many ways to measure. In this picture book, Marvelosissimo the Mathematical Magician takes the kids on an exploration of measurement: length, weight, and volume. After a discussion of standard measure, Schwartz and Kellogg present the metric system. The book concludes with an appendix on measuring and the metric system.
*As most PBS children's programs offer one year extended taping rights for teachers, please feel free to tape them now and save them for use in your classroom during the school year.