- Between the Lions - "Treats!"
An advertising Dream Team - creators of the Lions' favorite "Wheaty Meat Treats" spot - is hired to create a commercial for the library. But it seems the team needs a little help.
- "Food For Thought"
Clifford and his friends are influenced by advertisements for a new dog food.
Do in Class
- Arthur: Arthur's Guide to Media Literacy - Study media literacy with these 9 lesson plans.
- The Berenstain Bears: Video Lesson Plan #12 - I Want It vs. I Need It - Brainstorm wants vs. needs, and how advertising persuades us. Then have students create their own commercials. (Section 5)
- Between the Lions: Ads Everywhere - Learn about ads you see everyday and what they are trying to say to you.
- Between the Lions: Watch This Ad - Talk about TV ads and help your child create a "TV set" and his own commercial about a favorite toy or stuffed animal.
- Don't Buy It: Art - Design Your Own Cereal Box - Design a cereal box that will entice buyers.
- Reading Rainbow: The Sign Painter's Dream Family Activity - Create an eye-catching miniature billboard to help students understand a billboard is an advertisement that is meant to catch the public's attention.
- Don't Buy It, Get Media Smart: Be the Ad Detective - Learn how we are exposed to advertising in our day to day lives. Try to find the advertisement in this online game.
- Don't Buy It, Get Media Smart: Create Your Own Ad - Find out more about the advertisement industry by creating your own ads.
- Don't Buy It, Get Media Smart: The Cost of Cool - Play a game to find out how expensive and affordable clothes compare, are they really that different?
- Get your Web License - Learn the do's and don'ts of the Internet in order to stay safe.
- Arthur's Computer Disaster
By Marc Brown
Published September 1999 by Little Brown & Company
Uh oh! Trouble results when Arthur plays his favorite game on his Mom's computer...even after she's said NO.
- The Furry News: How to Make a Newspaper
By Loreen Leedy
Published April 1993 by Holiday House
Learn the scoop on newspaper writing, editing and printing from Bear, Rabbit and friends as they create "The Furry News."
*As most PBS children's programs offer one year extended taping rights for teachers, please feel free to tape them now and save them for use in your classroom during the school year.