- Between the Lions
- "Humph! Humph! Humph!"
Lionel's new friend Gus is a super hopper and a real funny bunny. When Leona asks him to read to her he gets all "humphy" but that is only because he doesn't know to to read yet. The sound of the day is the short u sound found in words like "rug," "jump," and "cut." Learn all about the different sounds u can make in Vowel Boot Camp.
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood - "Episode #1400"
Mister Rogers reads a new book, Speedy Delivery, about Mr. McFeely. Mister Rogers explains that even when children learn to read, they sometimes like to have grownups read to them. Then he sings the song, "Please Don't Think It's Funny."
Do in Class
- Arthur: Arthur's Reading Tips - Brainstorm reading strategies to help with reading comprehension.
- Between the Lions: Destination Library - Investigate words and letters when you create your own game. Develop phonics skills as you name words with different beginning sounds.
- Between the Lions: Stories - Practice reading with video stories from Between the Lions.
- Between the Lions: Teacher's Toolkit - Learn how to use the series to enhance your reading curriculum in preschool or primary grades.
- Between the Lions: Word Worms - Create your own "word worm" game to strengthen literacy skills and letter awareness. Make up a story using all the words in the game.
- Caillou: Picture Storybook - Make your own book with printable templates from Caillou.
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: Looking for Letters - Identify different letters of the alphabet. Understand that letters, words and reading are useful in everyday life.
- Africa for Kids: Swahili Folktale - Read a story and choose the outcome for an African prince and his brothers.
- The Berenstain Bears: Story Time - Fill in the blanks to create a story of your own.
- Between the Lions: Blending Bowl - Practice blending words with this interactive football game.
- Between the Lions: Chicken Stacker - Identify short vowel sounds in this interactive game.
- Between the Lions: Fuzzy Lion Ears - Develop listening skills and practice letter sounds with this interactive game. Choose the correct missing letter to make the word you hear.
- Clifford the Big Red Dog: Puppy Letters - Develop early reading skills and spelling as you fill in a word to complete a sentence with this interactive game. Match letters in a one-to-one correspondence in the easy level, or spell a spoken word in the advanced level.
- Clifford: Stories - Read online stories with Emily Elizabeth.
- Dragon Tales: Search for Mami Storybook - Enjoy an interactive storybook with English and Spanish words.
- George Shrinks: Adventure - Help George plan his day with this interactive reading activity.
- Jay Jay the Jet Plane: Read with Big Jake - Create a story to read with Big Jake.
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood: Story Corner - Help Trolley deliver flowers to the neighbors.
- Sesame Street: Letter of the Day - Feed Cookie Monster cookies that start with certain letters.
- Carlo Likes Reading
By Jessica Spanyol
Published September 2001 by Candlewick Press
Carlo is a giraffe that likes to read. On each two-page spread, Carlo appears in familiar locations: the bedroom, bathroom, market, and more. Items commonly found there are labeled.
- The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury
By Janet Schulman and Simon Boughton, editors
Published September 1998 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
This anthology contains 44 of the best-loved stories of the century, including "Amelia Bedelia", "Make Way for Ducklings", "Where the Wild Things Are", and "Guess How Much I Love You". Schulman and Boughton group the stories for readers of different ages and include brief biographies of 62 authors and illustrators.
*As most PBS children's programs offer one year extended taping rights for teachers, please feel free to tape them now and save them for use in your classroom during the school year.