- "Arthur's Spelling Trubble"
Arthur is chosen to compete in the annual all-school spellathon, and after a hard week of studying he finds himself on stage - facing Prunella and The Brain!
- "Doggy Detectives"
Jetta has just won the spelling bee at school with Emily Elizabeth close behind in second place. Everything is fine with the friends until Jetta mistakenly thinks Emily has taken her prize medal. Clifford and his friends set out to be detectives and soon discover the real culprit was not Emily Elizabeth, but someone else "nesting" nearby.
Do in Class
- Arthur: My Name Starts With... - Develop letter recognition and alphabetization skills and learn about graphing as students participate in this name matching activity.
- Arthur: A Name Graph - Build familiarity with letters by creating a name graph.
- Between the Lions: Alphabet Cut-Outs - Practice spelling or play letter games with these alphabet cutouts.
- Between the Lions: Between the Lions: Jousting Knights - Stage a make-believe joust and blend letters to spell words.
- ZOOM: Baseball Words - Try this fun new way to put on a spelling bee.
- Between the Lions: Alphabet Soup - Practice spelling and context clues in this comical game.
- Between the Lions: Blending Bowl - Practice the most common English spelling patterns by blending words in a football game.
- Between the Lions: Fuzzy Lion Ears - Learn to spell by completing partially written words using accompanying pictures. As Leona presents each one, she'll say the word. Choose from three different letters to make the word you heard.
- Caillou: Spelling with Caillou - Use letter blocks to spell names with Caillou.
- Clifford: Doggy Detectives - Read and play with an online interactive story about a spelling bee medal.
- Clifford: Puppy Letters - Read sentences and match letters to words to spell them out in this online activity.
- Noddy: Pop and Spell - Learn to spell by popping balloons with letters on them to complete a word.
- Teaching Kids to Spell
By J.Richard Gentry & Jean Wallace Gillet Heinemann
Published December 1992 by Heinemann
Teachers will find many different spelling rules, generalizations, exceptions and more. Use this resource to provide organized spelling instruction in an integrated curriculum.
- Words Their Way
By Donald R. Bear, Marcia Invernizzi
Published May 2003 by Prentice Hall
Written by teachers who are recognized experts in the field of spelling and word study, this text explores word recognition and spelling.
*As most PBS children's programs offer one year extended taping rights for teachers, please feel free to tape them now and save them for use in your classroom during the school year.