- Berenstain Bears
- "Out for the Team"
Brother and Sister are good baseball players and both sign up to try out for the Bear Country Cardinals. The problem is, there's only one position left on the team. Worried about the humiliating possibility of losing to his talented kid sister, Brother backs out of the competition. Sister has some encouraging words for Brother which inspire him to stick with it. The two cubs practice for the big tryout together.
- Arthur - "D.W. Rides Again"
In the heart of four-year-old lurks one big, gnawing desire... to get rid of those training wheels. With Arthur's help, D.W. embarks on a crash course to learn the rules of the road (like how to use your brakes). Based on a book of the same title by Marc Brown.
Do in Class
- Arthur: Play Ball! - Play some fun ball games for inside the classroom.
- Between the Lions: Sporting Creature Feature - Name sports teams with animal mascots; how many can you name?
- Dragonfly TV: Matter and Motion - Work up a sweat! Check out cool sports science. (grades 2+)
- It's My Life: Team Sports - Find out what it is like to be a member of a sports team. (grade 1+)
- Maya and Miguel: Sports Placemat - Make a placemat with your favorite team's colors.
- Postcards from Buster: Play Ball - Play a traditional Southeast Asian game that is similar to volleyball. Describe family feasts and gatherings, and examine books about the Hmong culture.
- Postcards from Buster: Surveys and Graphs - Make a graph that shows what sports you and your friends like to play.
- Reading Rainbow: Sports Pages - Make an indoor tennis racket.
- Teletubbies: Ball Fun - Try bowling with two liter bottles and other simple ball games.
- ZOOM: Leap Frog Race - Play leap frog or form teams and race each other.
- ZOOM: Mixed-Up Sports Relay! - Enjoy relay races while acting out some of your favorite sports.
- Boohbah: Jumping Boohbahs - Make a Boohbah jump and catch a Boohball of the same color in this online game.
- Maya & Miguel: World of Sports - Try simple, online versions of five sports from around the world, and learn their rich histories and basic rules.
- My Football Book and My Basketball Book
By Gail Gibbons
Published August 2000 and September 2000 by HarperCollins Children's Books
Gibbons explains the object, rules, and play of two of our most popular team sports in two books for children 4-8. Diagrams and illustrations help clarify the rules while a play-by-play description of an imaginary game supplies the excitement. This book is perfect for introducing the games to students. Each book has a glossary.
- Z is for Zamboni: A Hockey Alphabet
By Matt M. Napier and Melanie Rose
Published September 2002 by Sleeping Bear Press
Set in verse, this hockey ABC sports paintings of rink action, hockey heroes, and equipment. The margins provide additional information on the subject of each letter, such as Gretzky, puck, and Vezina-a special trophy for goalies. A few extra terms are explained on the last page.
*As most PBS children's programs offer one year extended taping rights for teachers, please feel free to tape them now and save them for use in your classroom during the school year.