- "Clifford and the Beanstalk"
Emily Elizabeth works hard to prepare for her audition for the lead in the school pay, but loses the role to Jetta, who worries more about what she'll wear than about learning her lines. Emily Elizabeth steps in and plays the lead role at the last minute, and Jetta learns that hard work and preparation are what make you successful.
Do in Class
- Arthur: A Folktale Play - Read folk tales from around the world and invite children to reenact the stories.
- Barney: House Plays - Perform nursery rhymes that feature homes.
- The Berenstain Bears: Section 4: Socio-Emotional Development: Put Ups and Put Downs - Put on a puppet show that presents the difference between name calling and friendly support.
- Dragon Tales: Four Little Pigs - Create a list of favorite stories and choose one to turn into a play.
- Dragon Tales: Quetzal's Magic Pop-Up Book - Create puppets of characters from a favorite book using common household items. Collaborate with a friend to put on a puppet show that tells a story.
- Maya & Miguel: Theater Mask - Make fun masks for your next performance.
- ZOOM: Playhouse - Put on your own presentations of the plays shown on ZOOM.
- Arthur: Play-Maker - Find expert advice and resources to help you put on a play of your own.
- Getting to Know You!: Rodgers and Hammerstein Favorites
By Richard Rodgers, Oscar II Hammerstein, and Rosemary Wells
Published October 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers
With her usual humor, Wells illustrates sixteen of the best known songs from Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals: Oklahoma, The King and I, South Pacific, and Carousel. The songs are grouped in three sections, roughly corresponding to morning, day, and night. An enclosed songbook contains the music and complete lyrics.
- Shrinking Violet
By Cari Best and Giselle Potter
Published August 2001 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Violet is shy. Whenever her classmates, especially Irwin, stare, she itches and scratches and twirls her hair. When her teacher announces that the class will put on a play about the solar system, Violet is nervous, but her ingenious and sensitive teacher has the perfect part for her. Violet triumphs and even helps Irwin.
*As most PBS children's programs offer one year extended taping rights for teachers, please feel free to tape them now and save them for use in your classroom during the school year.