America’s teachers innovate every day.
2012 Teacher Innovator Awards: Official Rules
No Purchase Necessary
The “2012 Teacher Innovator Awards” (the “Contest”) is sponsored by the Public Broadcasting Service, with its principal place of business located at 2100 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA 22202 (“Sponsor” or “PBS”) and The Henry Ford, a Michigan non-profit corporation with offices located at 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn, Michigan 48124. (“Sponsor” or “THF”) The contest will begin on or before 11:59:59 PM Eastern Time (“ET”) on September 26, 2012 and will close for entries at 2:59:59 AM ET on December 13, 2012 (11:59:59 PM PT on December 12, 2012) (the “Promotion Period”). Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law. By entering the 2012 Teacher Innovator Awards, each entrant accepts and agrees to be bound by these official Contest rules (the “Official Rules”).
To be eligible, an entrant must be at least eighteen (18) years old at time of entry and a legal resident of the fifty (50) United States or the District of Columbia. Contest entry is limited to one (1) video per person. You may only enter the contest one time. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified. Contest is also limited to one (1) person per entry. Entries from teams of people will be disqualified. Top 10/first place winners from the 2010 and 2011 PBS Teachers Innovation Awards are not eligible to enter this Contest, but may serve as judges. Employees and immediate family members of THF, PBS or PBS’ public television member stations are not eligible to participate in this Contest. No purchase is necessary. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify ineligible entries; such entries will not be returned.
Entrant must be one of the following:
- PreK-12 Classroom Educator (Public, Private, or Charter School)
- PreK-12 Library Media Specialist or Technology Specialist/Coordinator
- PreK-12 Homeschool Educator
- PreK-12 Head Start or Licensed Daycare Teacher
- How To Enter:
Each contest entrant (each an “Entrant”) must complete the following to enter the Contest:
- Register to be a member of PBS LearningMedia by entering your general information – first name, last name, zip code, username, and type of educator (ece, tech, k-12, etc.)
- Enter information about your entry – as requested on the entry form.
- Submit a video clip or PDF file with text and images that depicts or describes the ways in which you are an innovative educator within one of the Grade and Subject Groupings described below. The entry must consist of either a demonstration of innovation with students (inside or outside of a classroom) or an innovative project that was the result of an instructional activity you conducted. Video clips are limited to 3 minutes in length. PDFs are limited to 3 pages in length. Any fees incurred by the entrant in creating the video clip or PDF will be the sole responsibility of the entrant. Please see section 7 below titled “Additional Submission Rules” for complete Entry requirements and prohibited content.
- Completing the foregoing will earn Entrant an entry (“Entry”) into the Contest.
Grade and Subject groupings: Entries must consist of material that was/is used while teaching one of the below categories. One (1) First Place Winner, one Second Place Winner, and one Third Place Winner, as defined in section 5 below, will each be selected from within all of the following categories for a total of thirty (30) Winners:
- PreK-5th Grade Arts
- 6th-12th Grade Arts
- PreK-5th Grade Math
- 6th-12th Grade Math
- PreK-5th Grade Reading & Language Arts
- 6th-12th Grade Reading & Language Arts
- PreK-5th Grade Science
- 6th-12th Grade Science
- PreK-5th Grade Social Studies
- 6th-12th Grade Social Studies
- Limit one Entry per Entrant throughout the Promotion Period.
- All Entries must be submitted by 2:59:59 AM ET on December 13, 2012/11:59:59 PM PT on December 12, 2012.
- Once Entry has been submitted, Entrant will receive an e-mail confirming submission. Sponsors shall not be responsible for garbled, corrupted, or otherwise lost or deleted Entries, whether as a result of human, technical or other error.
- Make sure to check the e-mail account used in connection with the Entry, as any winning notification and subsequent communication will be sent via e-mails. Entrants who do not win will not receive notification.
- Read the Official Rules in full before submitting an Entry.
- Entries will not be returned. Upon submission, Entrants grant Sponsors a non-exclusive, irrevocable license to use and modify the Entry, in whole or in part, for commercial purposes, without any payment or other consideration, for use on any media now known or hereafter discovered, in perpetuity, to the extent legally permissible.
- Winner Selection:
Winners will be selected by a panel of judges using judging criteria, as defined below.
Entries will be judged by a panel of educators selected from among the 2010 and 2011 PBS Teachers Innovation Award winners, PBS TeacherLine facilitators, educational advisors to The Henry Ford, and/or representatives from education related professional content organizations. Judges will not be permitted to enter the contest.
Each entry will be reviewed by two judges, who will score each Entry individually. The entries will be judged on the following criteria, each of which will be worth a total of 20 points (10 points per judge), for a maximum score of one hundred (100) (or one hundred one (101) in the event a “bonus point” is obtained, as described below): (a) innovation/ originality/creativity; (b) application or reinforcement of 21st century learning skills; (c) effective integration of digital media; (d) student engagement, and (e) student learning. Judges will be assigned Entries based on subject area and grade level in order to ensure judging expertise in selected areas. Judges will be required to abstain from judging if a conflict of interest is or becomes present. The final entry score (the “Score”) will consist of the addition of the two judges’ individual scores, and such Score will be used to determine the winners (“Winners” as more fully defined in Section 5 below). After the Score has been calculated, one bonus point will be given to each entry that clearly demonstrates how a resource from The Henry Ford’s On Innovation website (http://www.oninnovation.com/) or a resource from a PBS station, a PBS website or a PBS on-air program was used or modified to enhance the lesson or project. For purposes of this Contest, a PBS resource shall mean a resource from PBS LearningMedia, PBS Teachers, PBS Television, PBS.org, PBSKIDS.org, PBS TeacherLine, or a local PBS television station resource.
In the event of a tie in the Score (including the bonus point, if applicable), a PBS Education employee or an employee from The Henry Ford will serve as a third judge, using the same judging criteria and process described herein. Tie breaking scores will be used individually to determine order within tied scores, but cannot elevate a submission from Third Place to Second Place, or from Third or Second Place to First Place (as more fully described in Section 5 below).
Entries will be scored with a uniform rubric; the Winners will be determined after the Contest concludes at the end of the Promotion Period, and will be announced approximately during the month of March 2013. The top scoring Entry within each of the 10 subject/grade groupings described below will be considered a first prize winner. The second highest scoring entry within each of the 10 subject/grade groupings will be considered as second prize winners. The third highest scoring entry within each of the 10 subject/grade groupings will be considered as third prize winners. In total, once judging is completed there will be 30 Entries considered Potential Contest Winners. Potential Winners will be considered official Winners once Sponsors have ascertained a potential Winner’s eligibility and full compliance with these Official Rules.
The Contest has three prize levels:
First Prize. There will be a total of ten (10) First Place Winners, each of whom will receive a first prize (each a “First Prize”). The top score within each of the ten (10) subject/grade groupings will receive the first prize for a total of ten (10) first prize winners: a week long "Innovation Immersion Experience" at The Henry Ford (http://www.thehenryford.org/) in Dearborn, Michigan in August 2013. The trip includes roundtrip airfare, lodging at The Dearborn Inn, select meals, and special events. Some meals and incidental expenses must be covered by the entrant. Approximate retail value of the First Prize is $2,000 USD. Actual retail values may vary, depending on factors such as airfares. Any difference between the actual retail value and approximate retail value of the prize will not be awarded. In addition, the ten First Prize winners will receive a free PBS TeacherLine professional development course (http://www.pbs.org/teacherline).
Total Approximate Retail Value of First Place Prizes: $20,000 USD.
PBS will notify the First Place Winners via e-mail by March 31, 2013. Winners must respond via e-mail and/or as otherwise instructed to do so in the notification, within five (5) days of the date of notification, in order to confirm their acceptance of the First Prize. Winners must respond by sending a response e-mail to the PBS or THF staff member who notified Winner of the award by and completing and returning a signed affidavit of eligibility and a liability release form without modification. Should a First Place Winner be unable to accept a First Prize, he or she may, at the sole discretion of Sponsors, have the option of receiving a Second Prize or a Third Prize instead, provided that he or she must satisfy the requirements for receiving a Second Prize and a Third Prize, respectively. The top scoring Second Place Winner from the same Grade and Subject grouping may then be invited to accept the remaining First Prize if he or she satisfies the requirements for receiving the First Prize, and at the sole discretion of Sponsors.
Second Prize. There will be a total of ten (10) Second Place Winners, each of whom will receive a second prize (each a “Second Prize”). The second highest scoring Entries within each of the 10 subject/grade groupings after the first prize will receive the Second Prize: a gift bag from PBS and The Henry Ford containing various premium items and a Promethean ActiView document camera. Approximate retail value of the Second Prize is $600. Actual retail values may vary. Any difference between the actual retail value and approximate retail value of the prize will not be awarded. Second Place Winners will be contacted to confirm mailing address and the prize will be shipped directly to the Winner at his or her requested address after completion and return to PBS of a signed affidavit of eligibility and a liability release form without modification. Entrants should allow a minimum of four to six weeks for delivery of the gift bag and camera.
Total Approximate Retail Value of Second Place Prizes: $6,000 USD.
Third Prize. There will be a total of ten (10) third place winners, each of whom will receive a third prize (each a “Third Prize”). The third highest scoring Entries within each of the 10 subject/grade groupings after the first and second prizes will receive The Third Prize: a gift bag from PBS and The Henry Ford containing various premium items. Approximate retail value of the Third Prize is $50. Third Place Winners will be contacted to confirm mailing address and the prize will be shipped directly to the Winner at his or her requested address after completion and return to PBS of a signed affidavit of eligibility and a liability release form without modification. Entrants should allow a minimum of four to six weeks for delivery of the gift bag.
Total Approximate Retail Value of the Third Place Prizes: $500 USD.
Tax Consequences. Winners will be solely responsible for any and all local, state, and federal taxes incurred by their participation in the contest. Prizes may not be exchanged for cash or any other consideration. Sponsor will report any individual winnings over $600 (in cash or fair market value of goods or services) in a one (1) year period to the Internal Revenue Service. Winners will receive a Form 1099 from Sponsor if Sponsor reports any such winnings to the Internal Revenue Service.
- Conditions and Limitations Apply:
- Sponsor reserves the right to edit Entry content, including, but not limited to, any photographical or video material comprising, in whole or in part, the Entry.
- Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries, including due to network failure.
- Sponsor reserves the right to use any information submitted by Entrants for any purpose whatsoever.
- All Winners agree to the use of their names and likenesses in publicity without notice or any additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. By entering this Contest, the Winners acknowledge that Sponsor has the right to publicize and broadcast their name, voice, and likeness, the fact that they won, and all matters incidental thereto. Sponsor is not obligated to attribute Entry to the Entrant who submitted it.
- By entering this Contest, each Entrant forever discharges and releases Sponsor and its respective directors, officers, employees, agents, and subsidiaries (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability, claims, causes of action, suits, and demands of any kind (collectively, “claims”) arising from or in connection with the Contest.
- The Contest and these Official Rules are subject to modification by Sponsor in its sole discretion.
- An Entrant is not a Winner unless and until Entrant’s eligibility has been verified and Entrant has been notified that verification is complete. In the event that a Winner is determined to be ineligible, his or her prize will be forfeited and Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternate winner from among remaining eligible Entries.
- Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the Contest without awarding prizes if no eligible winner or alternate winners claim the prizes within the required time.
- Sponsor reserves the right to add to the First, Second, and Third Place Prize Packages should additional prizes become available.
- Additional Submission Rules:
By participating in the Contest and submitting materials (the “Materials”) to 2012 Teacher Innovator Awards you agree to and represent the following:
- You grant to PBS, its affiliates, subsidiaries, and licensees a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display the Materials in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, to identify you in conjunction with such uses of the Materials, and to incorporate them in other works, in any form, in any and all media now known or ever devised, in any and all versions, worldwide in perpetuity for any purpose, including, but not limited to, broadcast, streaming, broadband, outreach, promotion, publicity, marketing, and advertisement of PBS and any of its properties or programming services.
- You are authorized to submit the Materials, and you grant the rights in the Materials, as stated herein, whether or not PBS chooses to use the Materials for any particular purpose or at any particular time. You represent that you own all rights, title, and interest in the Materials or that you otherwise have authority to submit the Materials and to grant the license described herein. You represent that you have obtained all permissions, clearance, and releases from any third parties necessary to allow your submission and PBS’s use of the Materials, as set forth herein.
- You represent that the Materials do not contain material that is (a) unlawful, obscene, offensive, defamatory, libelous, threatening, fraudulent, abusive, pornographic, harassing, or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, or does or could give rise to civil liability or violate any law, rule, or regulation, or is otherwise objectionable; (b) non-public information about any company that you are not authorized to disclose; and (c) an advertisement, solicitation, chain letter, pyramid scheme, investment opportunity, or other unsolicited commercial communication; (d) otherwise in poor taste or not appropriate for use in a classroom, at the sole discretion of Sponsors. Any Materials containing any of the above will be automatically disqualified at the sole discretion of Sponsors.
- You guarantee that any persons whose name, image, likeness, or personal information is used or depicted in the Materials have validly consented to such use or depiction. Valid consent shall mean the knowing, written acquiescence of such use or depiction as part of the Materials signed by the person whose name, image, likeness, or personal information is used or depicted. In addition to the foregoing, valid consent with respect to the use or depiction of any minor’s name, image, likeness or other type of personal information, shall also include the knowing, written acquiescence of such use or depiction as part of the Materials signed by the minor’s parent or legal guardian. Such use or depiction must also be done according to the terms, if any, of the school, institution, and/or School Board to which the student belonged at the time such image, likeness, or other information was obtained. Materials that are submitted in violation of any school, institution, or School Board’s terms, will invalidate the Entry in connection with those Materials. At discretion of Sponsors, Entrant may be required to provide proof of compliance with all terms herein, failure to provide proof of valid consent or adherence to any applicable terms, as described above, to the satisfaction of Sponsors, will result in the invalidation of that particular Entry. In the event of Entry invalidation, Entrant will no longer be eligible to participate in the Contest, and will have no recourse or other opportunity to submit an Entry.
- You agree not to make any claim against The Henry Ford, PBS, its affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees, and assigns as a result of your participation in this promotion, any use of or decision not to use the Materials or part of them, including, but not limited to, any claim that such use invades any right of privacy, publicity, or both.
- You understand that, other than the opportunity to enter this Contest, you will not be paid any money or receive any other consideration or form of compensation for giving PBS these rights. You further understand you will not be reimbursed for any costs you may have incurred in connection with submitting the Materials.
- You represent that you are at least 18 years old at the time you submit your Entry and otherwise satisfy the Entry and Eligibility Requirements described in these Official Rules.
- Request for Winners List and Official Rules: Requests for Winners List and/or Official Rules can be made to email@example.com
- Disputes: This Contest and these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of the state of VIRGINA. Any and all claims or disputes arising out of or in connection with this Contest shall be made individually and in no event in the form of a class action, and shall be made in the applicable state or federal court in the city of ARLINGTON, VA without regard to any conflicts of law principles.