About the Site
The SciGirls website is a science-centric social networking site for tween girls. Part science fun zone, part girl clubhouse, and entirely engaging, the site is designed to be more than a just companion to the TV series. It offers girls everywhere the opportunity to participate in—and become—SciGirls.
Guide to Site Activities
From the homepage, girls are invited to "Be a SciGirl," logging in to create their own profile pages. These customizable pages let users personalize their online space to reflect their hobbies and interests. And SciGirls profiles are expressly designed to be fully compliant with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) so parents and teachers know that their girls can be online in a safe learning environment.
Girls are also encouraged to upload information on their STEM related activities as part of SciGirls project pages. These pages are the heart of the SciGirls community, where girls share their work and see what other girls, clubs, and mentors are doing. Other SciGirls can comment on projects and select their favorites to display on their profile pages.
Kids can also watch full episodes from the series, as well as user-submitted video sent in by SciGirls across the nation. Ultimately, the goal of the site is to create a fun experience that lets girls express themselves and receive feedback from other girls.
And the fun doesn’t stop! SciGirls collection of unique educational games includes:
- Pick ’m Stick ’m: SciGirls is throwing a search party, with a unique online game that starts during the show! Each episode features onscreen clues that lead girls to a corresponding "mash-up" game on the website. So while kids are enjoying the new episodes, they’re already playing the game! With the clues, girls go to the SciGirls website to solve an “iSpy”-style puzzle (Pick’m !), unlocking pictures they can use to create a their own collage about the show (Stick’m!). Pick’m, Stick’m and Share’m, SciGirls!
- Aqua Bot: In this game, girls can engineer an underwater ROV – remote operated vehicle – that doesn’t sink to the bottom or float to the top. Once the ROV is ready to roll (or, um, swim?), deep sea-divas can navigate a multi-level game, helping Izzie and Jake find lost treasure.
- Coming Soon: Busy as a Bee: Got honey? That’s the golden currency of this simulation game, which extends the adventures of beekeeping SciGirls on the TV show across the website’s social network. Part Farmville, part Tamagotchi, kids nationwide will grow their gardens and help their hives by depending on each other. Sweet!
- Diorama-O-Rama: Got an Elf Owl? Go Fish! In this game, kids play Izzie in a virtual take on the venerable card game. Winners collect plants and animals for their dioramas, set in National Parks. Along the way, they learn more about the unique features of four distinct ecosystems.
Site Usage Tips
SciGirls is nothing without real kids who are out there doing real projects! We’re proud to share this important work online, and encourage you to help your students create a project pages to share their work.
To maximize your experience on the site, you may need to download the free applications used for viewing the site and its features. These include:
- BROWSERS: Ensure that you using the latest Internet browsers. You may need to download the latest versions from one of the following sites: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Chrome
- FLASH: Site not playing? You may not have Flash installed, which is required to play the site. Click here to get a safe and free plugin: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
- ADOBE ACROBAT: Download Adobe Acrobat for easy printing. http://get.adobe.com/reader/
For the SciGirls project pages, images must be in .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, or .png only and no larger than 1MB.