- Stress and Anxiety
Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry
Dr. Barlow is a Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry, and Founder and Director Emeritus of the Center for Anxiety and Related Disorders. He received his Ph.D. from the University of Vermont in 1969 and has published over 500 articles and chapters as well as over 60 books and clinical manuals, mostly in the area of emotional disorders and clinical research methodology. The books and manuals have been translated in over 20 languages, including Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, and Russian.
Dr. Barlow was a member of the DSM-IV Task Force of the American Psychiatric Association, and was a cochair of the work group for revising the anxiety disorder categories. He is also a Diplomate in Clinical Psychology of the American Board of Professional Psychology, ABPP and maintains a private practice.
Awards and Credentials
- American Psychological Association Distinguished Scientific Award for the Applications of Psychology, 2000
- Career/Lifetime Achievement Award, Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, 2008
- Award in appreciation of outstanding achievements from the General Hospital of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army, Beijing, China, with an appointment as Honorary Visiting Professor of Clinical Psychology
- Fritz Redlich Fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in Behavioral Sciences, 1997-1998
Recommended Reading List
- Anxiety and Its Disorders: The Nature and Treatment of Anxiety and Panic (2nd Ed). Barlow, D.H. (2002). Guilford.
- Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders: A Step-by-Step Treatment Manual (4th Ed). Barlow, D.H. (Ed.). (2008) Guilford.
- Mastery of Your Anxiety and Worry. Craske, M.G., et al. (2006). Oxford.