Summaries of To the Contrary's shows from 1996 to present are listed. You can also watch full episodes from 2010 to the present online here.
Click on a year below to see a list of that year's shows.
Women & The Millennium
Program Number: 841
• Women & the Millennium: "Millennium madness" is prompting a lot of people-- particularly women--to think about what the closing of this historical chapter means. Some of our panelists and guests share who they think is the Woman of the Millennium and discuss the challenges women have faced and have yet to overcome.
Re-Entering the Workforce
Program Number: 840
Panelists: Kellyanne Fitzpatrick Irene Natividad Amy Holmes Michelle Singletary
• On-Line Shopping
• The Changing American Family
• Interview w/Jill Miller, Executive Director of Women Work.
National Council of Negro Women: Agenda
Program Number: 839
Panelists: Toni Ford Irene Natividad Amy Holmes Michelle Singletary
• Political Daughters
• Surgeon General's Mental Health Report
• Interview w/Dr. Jane E. Smith, President & CEO of the National Council of Negro Women
FMLA: Family Leave Income
Program Number: 836
Panelists: Rep. Lynn Woolsey, Michelle Singletary, Linda Chavez, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Adoption Discrimination Against the Disabled
• GI Joe and Boys' Body Image
• Interview w/Judith Lichtman, president of the National Partnership for Women and Families
The Working Woman's Vote
Program Number: 835
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Linda Chavez, Holly Page, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Corporate Ladder Levels Off: New Census data says there are less women in line for CEO positions
• Discrimination Against Obese Women in the Workplace
• Interview w/Adele Stan, contributing writer to Working Woman Magazine
Employers' Role In Pay Equity
Program Number: 834
Panelists: Michelle Singletary, Heather Nauert, Ruth Conniff, Amy Holmes
• Cost of Raising a Child
• More Women Ph.D.s
• Interview w/Susan Bianchi-Sand, Executive Director of the National Committee on Pay Equity
Women & Campaign Fundraising
Program Number: 833
Panelists: Rep. Ellen Tauscher, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Susan Molinari, Amy Holmes
• Carol Moseley-Braun Nomination for Ambassdor to New Zealand
• Controversial composition lands Texas schoolboy in jail
• Interviews w/Pat Harrison, Co-Chairman of the Republican National Committee and Ellen Malcolm, President and Founder of EMILY's List
Sex, Media & Women's Health: Who Cares About Girls?
Program Number: 832
Panelists: Kellyanne Fitzpatrick, Amy Holmes, Irene Natividad, Laura Flanders
• Viagra for Women
• Harry Potter-mania: promoting the occult?
• A Boston conference explores the influence of the media on girls' sexual health
E-Commerce & Women's Businesses
Program Number: 831
Panelists: Ann Stone, Irene Natividad, Amy Holmes, Laura Flanders
• Elizabeth Dole drops out of Presidential campaign
• Abstinence & Girls' Sex-Ed programs
• E-commerce and women-owned businesses
From Zzz's to A's: School Start Times
Program Number: 830
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick, Elaine Chao, Judsen Culbreth
• Some Women's Business Groups petition Small Business Administration for "socially disadvantaged" status
• Supreme Court to decide constitutionality of law giving grandparents and "third parties" the right to petition court for visitation
• Later school start times make the grade. Interview w/Rep. Zoe Lofgren
See Jane Win
Program Number: 829
Panelists: Kellyanne Fitzpatrick, Elaine Chao, Julianne Malveaux, Holly Page
• Gore Re-starts campaign again in Tennessee
• Women Boxes Man in Seattle
• How competitive girls grow into successful women. Interview w/Dr. Sylvia Rimm, author of See Jane Win
Women Business Owners & Congress
Program Number: 828
Panelists: Lt. Governor Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Lynn Martin, Eliane Chao, Julianne Malveaux
• Population Boom: 6 Billion & Growing
• New Perspective on Teen Pregnancy
• Interview w/Terry Neese of the National Association of Women Business Owners
Children Speak on Working Parents
Program Number: 827
Panelists: Lt. Governor Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Lynn Martin, Amy Holmes, Julianne Malveaux
• Bob Dole 'Disses' Elizabeth Dole's Presidential Campaign?
• Divorce Rate Falling?
• Interview w/Ellen Galinsky, author of Ask the Children
Student-on-Student Sexual Harassment
Program Number: 826
Panelists: Linda Chavez, Patricia Ireland, Karen Miller, Julianne Malveaux
• Divorced Dads Claim Discrimination in Courts
• Casual Days at Work
• Interview w/Verna L. Williams of the National Women's Law Center
Diane Rehm:Finding My Voice
Program Number: 825
Panelists: Linda Chavez, Laura Flanders, Amy Holmes, Holly Page
• Bradley and the Women's Vote
• Grandparents raising grandchildren
• Interview w/Diane Rehm
Minority Women & Retirement
Program Number: 824
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Rep. Connie Morella, Linda Chavez, Ruth Conniff/Jeanette Takamura
• Freshman 15 & Body Image
• Women & Retirement II:Minority Women & Retirement
Women's Consumer Network
Program Number: 823
Panelists: Julianne Malveaux, Linda Chavez, Susan Molinari, Ruth Coniff
• At-Home Drug Tests
• Women and Welfare
• Interview w/Melissa Moss
Time Off for Schools Bill
Program Number: 822
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Amy Holmes, Heather Nauert
• Cash for Contraception
• Evolution in Schools
• Interview w/Senator Patty Murray (D-WA)
Kids & Commercialism
Program Number: 821
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Irene Natividad, Amy Holmes, Heather Nauert
• Gun Violence:Aiming for Safety
• Bush Lite:George Bush Jr. Denies Using Cocaine
• Interview w/Betsy Taylor
Program Number: 820
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Holly Page, Amy Holmes, Arianna Huffington
• Stay-At-Home Husbands for Women CEOs
• Internet Adultery
• Interview w/Dr. Joycelyn Elders
Women & Retirement
Program Number: 819
Panelists: Rep. Jennifer Dunn, Rep. Louise Slaughter, Amy Holmes, Rep. Nancy Johnson
• Tax Cut Bill
• Women & Retirement I
CA Child Support Collections
Program Number: 818
Panelists: Rep. Nancy Johnson, Rep. Lynn Woolsey, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Amy Holmes.
• Adult Child Support
• California Child Support Collections
Women's Salary Survey
Program Number: 817
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ruth Conniff, Elaine Chao, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Patients' Rights Bill
• The Babe Factor: Women's Championship Soccer
• Working Woman's Salary Survey
Program Number: 816
Panelists: Julianne Malveaux, Pat Schroeder, Amy Holmes, Arianna Huffington
• Hillary Clinton Explores
• High School Wage Gap
• Interview w/Brian Menzies
State of Day Care
Program Number: 815
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Julianne Malveaux, Heather Nauert, Arianne Huffington
• Marriage & Pessimism
• Immigrants & Domestic Jobs
• Interview w/Working Mother's Nicola Godfrey
Children & Environmental Hazards
Program Number: 814
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Holly Page, Linda Chavez, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Working Through Retirement
• Pausing Menopause
• Interview w/Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
Program Number: 813
Panelists: Rep. Cynthia McKinney, Rep. Ellen Tauscher, Heather Nauert, Susan Au Allen
• Juvenile Justice/Gun Control Bill
• At-Risk Youth
Germaine Greer:The Whole Woman
Program Number: 812
Panelists: Julianne, Malveaux, Amy Holmes, Lynn Martin, Ruth Conniff
• Gore & Women Voters
• Post-Columbine Student Backlash
• Interview w/Germaine Greer
Tipper Gore & the Mental Health Conference
Program Number: 811
Panelists: Julianne Malveaux, Lynn Martin, Ruth Conniff, Amy Holmes
• Hillary Running?
• Interview w/Tipper Gore
Arizona's Fab Five
Program Number: 810
Panelists: Pat Schroeder, Linda Chavez, Irene Natividad, Elaine Chao
• Senator Hillary?
• New Bankruptcy Legislation
• Interview with Governor Jane Hull (R-AZ)
Program Number: 809
Panelists: Pat Schroeder, Irene Natividad, Linda Chavez, Amy Holmes
• More School Violence - Atlanta, GA
• Murder or Suicide?: Family shooting in Orlando
• Interview with Sheila Wellington, President of Catalyst
Program Number: 808
Panelists: Patricia Ireland, Ruth Conniff, Heather Nauert, Deborah Simmons
• Pre-Marital Counseling Legislation
• Fur Coat Warning Labels
• Interview with Politcal Columnist Molly Ivins, on the state of the "liberal" media
Women and Philanthropy
Program Number: 807
Panelists: Rep. Ellen Tauscher, Patricia Ireland, Amy Holmes, Deborah Simmons, Kavita Ramdas
• White House School Violence Summit.
• To The Contrary's Exclusive Poll on Women and Philanthropy.
State of the States: Pay Equity
Program Number: 806
Panelists: Kellyanne Fitzpatrick, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ruth Conniff, Amy Holmes
• Uninsured Children.
• Money & Marriages.
• Pay Equity from State to State.
Program Number: 805
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ruth Conniff, Amy Holmes, Heather Nauert, Vicki Thomas
• School Violence in Littleton, Colorado.
• The Closing of Radcliffe College.
• Investement Programs for Women.
Women Serial Killers
Program Number: 804
Panelists: Lynn Martin, Linda Chavez, Julianne Malveaux, Harriet Woods
• Negative Behavior of Parents.
• Gender Issues in the Military.
• Interview with Pat Kirby, on the feminization of serial killing.
Program Number: 803
Panelists: Julianne Malveaux, Irene Natividad, Lynn Martin, Linda Chavez, Margaret Simms
• Kosovo Refugees.
• Deadbeat Parents.
• San Francisco's Hearts and Minds Collaborative, discourse on minorities becoming the majority in the new millenium.
The Power of Women's Bodies
Program Number: 802
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Irene Natividad, Ann Stone, Amy Holmes, Phyllis Greenberger
• Gay Marriages.
• Interview with Natalie Angier, author of Woman: An Intimate Geography.
Women and Media - Geraldine Laybourne
Program Number: 801
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ruth Conniff, Elaine Chao, Amy Holmes
• Women in the Military: Kosovo.
• Women and Sleep.
• Interview with Geraldine Laybourne of Oxygen Media.
Program Number: 752
Panelists: Working Mother's Top 10 Work-Life Companies
• Education Agenda & Republicans.
• Car Phone Safety.
• Working Mother's Top 10 Work-Life Companies.
Program Number: 751
Panelists: Kellyanne Fitzpatrick, Irene Natividad, Judsen Culbreth, Faye Anderson
• Elizabeth Dole Explores Presidential Bid.
• Happy 40th Birthday, Barbie.
• The Unsung Heroine Awards.
Program Number: 750
Panelists: Julianne Malveaux, Ruth Conniff, Faye Anderson, Vicki Toensing
• Equal Pay & Poverty.
• Race, Sex and Your Heart.
• Freshman Women in Congress: Interview w/Tammy Baldwin.
Women at the Polls
Program Number: 749
Panelists: Julianne Malveaux, Karen Miller, Patricia Ireland, Darlene Kennedy
• Senator Hillary?
• Interview with Amy Caiazza.
Program Number: 748
Panelists: Eleanor Holmes Norton, Arianna Huffington, Irene Natividad, Linda Chavez
• Family Medical Leave Act.
• Interview with Cathy Young, author "Ceasefire!".
The Greedy Hand
Program Number: 747
Panelists: Eleanor Holmes Norton, Rep. Jennifer Dunn, Irene Natividad, Arianna Huffington
• Impeachment Ends.
• Where the Boys Aren't.
• Interview with Amity Shlaes, author "The Greedy Hand."
Middle School Daycare
Program Number: 746
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Karen Miller, Judsen Culbreth, Deborah Simmons
• Anti-Affirmative Action.
• American & European Sex Education.
• Interview with Sarah Hoit Whitman.
Hope In a Jar
Program Number: 745
Panelists: Judsen Culbreth, Elaine Chao, Faye Anderson, Karen Tumulty
• Women Senators and the Impeachment.
• Women More accepting of Religion?.
• Interview with Kathy Peiss, author of "Hope in a Jar".
Program Number: 744
Panelists: Eleanor Holmes Norton, Linda Chavez, Ruth Conniff, Karen Miller
• Breast Cancer.
• Hillary and Liddy.
• Issues facing the women of the 106th Congress.
Shareholders vs. Stakeholders
Program Number: 743
Panelists: Eleanor Holmes Norton, Linda Chavez, Rep. Ellen Tauscher, Elaine Chao
• Politicians' Private Lives/Bob Barr.
• The role of corporations in economic security of families.
Ms. Senior America
Program Number: 742
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Linda Chavez, Julianne Malveaux, Faye Anderson
• Laws making it harder for teens to smoke illegally and get drivers' licenses.
• A new study shows a link between delaying childbearing and living longer.
• Contestants in the Ms. Senior America Pageant are proving the later years can be a time of opportunity.
Women and Social Security
Program Number: 741
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Linda Chavez, Julianne Malveaux, Faye Anderson
• The ethics of the science behind the world's first live-born octuplets.
• Women dockworkers sue for equality in hiring.
• Interview with Rep. Judy Biggert (R-IL) on what women need from Social Security reform
Support for pbs.org provided by: