Summaries of To the Contrary's shows from 1996 to present are listed. You can also watch full episodes from 2010 to the present online here.
Click on a year below to see a list of that year's shows.
New women Senators
Program Number: 940
Panelists: Ruth Conniff, Elaine Chao, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Karen Miller
• Women control 80 cents of every consumer dollar spent in this country. Merchants fear that when the final tallies are in after the Christmas shopping season, it may not be as big as last year's.
• Educating unwed mothers: The NYCLU is charging that some New York City schools with discriminating against pregnant and parenting teens.
• New Women Senators: The 107th Congress welcomes four new Democratic women Senators. Interview with Senator-Elect Debbie Stabenow, a Democrat from Michigan.
Program Number: 939
Panelists: Cecilia Munoz, Elaine Chao, Victoria Toensing, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton
• The 2000 Presidential Election is over! We look ahead to see what President-Elect George W. Bush has in store for women in his administration.
• Chronic Pain: Fifty million Americans suffer needlessly with chronic pain - the majority of whom are women. We look at some treatment options that will help keep you informed and pain-free.
Older Women's Agenda
Program Number: 938
Panelists: Laura Flanders, Cherylyn Harley, Arianna Huffington, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton
• Grading Parents: Some schools are trying to get parents more involved in their kids education by grading how well parents do on that front.
• The older women's agenda: What do older women want from the new administration? Interview with Deborah Briceland Betts of the Older Women's League.
Program Number: 937
Panelists: Rep. Connie Morella, Cherylyn Harley, Arianna Huffington, Julianne Malveaux
• The U.S. Supreme Court hears oral arguments in the battle for the Presidency.
• The National Association of Women Business Owners is celebrating its 25th Anniversary. We'll take a look at what they've done for women in business over the years. Interview with Debra Hickerson of the National Association of Women Business Owners.
Program Number: 935
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ruth Conniff, Toni Ford, Karen Miller
• Election 2000 results update.
• A new government report says not enough American moms are breast-feeding their infants.
Program Number: 934
Panelists: Ruth Conniff, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ann Stone, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Election 2000 Results and the Florida re-count.
• Women and Election 2000: The impact of the elections and what lies ahead for women.
Program Number: 933
Panelists: Julianne Malveaux, Angela McGlowan, Amy Holmes, Megan Beyer
• Its the last full week before the election and both major party candidates are working furiously to get-out-the-vote. We talk about what will get women to the polls. Interview with leading pollsters Linda Divall and Celinda Lake.
• Special Election Update - TTC follows one of the closest Presidential races in history. We examine the issues from both sides with special panelists, Julianne Malveaux and Kellyanne Fitzpatrick.
Saving Family Farms
Program Number: 932
Panelists: Julianne Malveaux, Ann Stone, Cherylyn Harley, Ruth Conniff
• Presidential polls show an astounding amount of volatility and differences in the numbers. Our panel of experts will tell you what is causing these gyrations and why the majority of undecided voters are women.
• Saving Family Farms - As urban sprawl expands, its eating up the number of family- owned farms nationwide. That while consumer demand for organic produce, which these farms grow, is rising dramatically. An in-depth feature piece examining local farms.
Program Number: 931
Panelists: Del. Holmes Norton, Janet Parshall, Pat Schroeder, Amy Holmes
• The Homework Debate - How much homework is too much homework? Many parents are complaining that their lives are being over run by their children's homework. The PTA and other organizations are suggesting homework time limits.
• Polypharmacy - Its the new term coined to describe the harmful interactions that can occur when patients are on a variety of medications and they interact - sometimes badly. This danger is especially prevalent in older women.
Cancer Fatigue Management
Program Number: 930
Panelists: Del. Holmes Norton, Alicia Montgomery, Karen Miller, Amy Holmes
• Debate Number two is over and while most instant polls show Texas Governor George W. Bush the winner, Vice President Al Gore holds on to his steady lead among women voters.
• Cancer Fatigue Management - Cancer patients suffer from many side effects in addition to the cancer itself. The most prevalent and longest lasting of those side effects is fatigue. We'll take a look at what is being done to help patients, especially women who suffer from fatigue in greater numbers than their male counterparts.
Child Support Assurance
Program Number: 929
Panelists: Rep. Lynn Woolsey D-CA, Toni Ford, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Karen Miller
• The Supreme Court is back in session - we'll look at what is turning out to be a surprisingly important issue in this campaign - the next President's selection of Supreme Court Justices.
• Child Support Assurance - California is working hard to make sure child support gets where it belongs - into the hands of custodial parents.
Program Number: 928
Panelists: Ruth Conniff, Michelle Conlin, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Debra Hickerson
• Women's vote in Election 2000 - recent polls show Bush gaining in women's votes, but there is still a wide spread between the two candidates with Gore leading among women voters.
• Women Entrepreneurs - Women start two-thirds of all new businesses each year, and there are over nine million women-owned businesses. In-depth Package profiling different women business owners.
Program Number: 927
Panelists: Senator Patty Murray D-WA, Rep. Ellen Tauscher D-CA, Amy Holmes, Julianne Malveaux, Victoria Toensing
• All eyes are focused on Sydney where the 2000 Summer Games are under way, we'll look at the role women are playing in this year's games.
• Distance Learning: More and more people are taking advantage of the educational opportunities extended to them via the Internet. In-depth package featuring a woman enrolled in a distance learning course at the University of Washington - Seattle.
Healthy Teen Sexuality
Program Number: 926
Panelists: Rep. Ellen Tauscher D-CA, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ann Stone, Amy Holmes
• Al Gore turns his attention toward the white male vote now that he has for the moment, secured his standing among women and minorities.November elections.
• Healthy Teen Sexuality: There are two schools of thought disputing the best way to teach our teens about sex.
Hispanic Heritage Month
Program Number: 925
Panelists: Alma Moralez Riojas, Irene Natividad, Elaine Chao, Barbara Olson
• Congress is back in session and we'll look at the confounding array of women's issues Congress will be tackling before it adjourns for the November elections.
•Its Hispanic Heritage month and as the nation celebrates its diversity, the Presidential campaign fights to woo the Hispanic vote.
• "Wealth of Choices" -- Wall Street Journal Washington Bureau Chief Alan Murray untangles the rules of the new economy for women.
Program Number: 924
Panelists: Pat Ireland, Alicia Montgomery, Barbara Olson, Elaine Chao
• Prescription Drugs - Al Gore launches an aggressive ad campaign describing his prescription drug plan for seniors should he be elected President.
• The Single Vote - Single Americans have typically supported Democratic candidates in past elections, but now they claim they are being overlooked by both parties.
• Corporate Boards - Women theorists are changing the way corporations manage resources to maximize profits.
Program Number: 923
Panelists: Pat Schroeder, Amy Holmes, Irene Natividad, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Education and Politics
• Capital Punishment
• Digital Divide
Program Number: 922
Panelists: Pat Schroeder, Amy Holmes, Irene Natividad, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Girls Rule Cyberspace
• Democratic Convention
Nine and Counting
Program Number: 921
Panelists: Arianna Huffington, Julianne Malveaux, Karen Miller, Ruth Conniff
• Parental Leave Act
• College Grads Move Home
• Nine and Counting
Program Number: 920
Panelists: Arianna Huffington, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Amy Holmes, Ruth Conniff
• GOP Convention
• Parent-Child Privilege
Welfare to Work
Program Number: 919
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Laura Flanders, Amy Holmes, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Women and Advertisements
• Flexible Jobs
• Welfare to Work
The Black Student Fund
Program Number: 918
Panelists: Rep. Connie Morella, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Laura Flanders, Amy Holmes
• Marriage Penalty Tax
• The Black Student Fund
Women, the Internet and Election 2000
Program Number: 917
Panelists: GUEST HOST: Fmr. NY Rep. Susan Molinari, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Amy Holmes, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick, Megan Beyer
• Working Women Narrow the Wage Gap/Bernadette Grey of Working Woman magazine
• Women, the Internet & Election 2000/Interview w/Nancy Evans, President of iVillage.com
CT Parental Involvement
Program Number: 916
Panelists: GUEST HOST: U.S. HHS Secretary Donna Shalala, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Amy Holmes, Karen Miller, Megan Beyer
• Congress and Prescription Drug Benefits
• CT Parent Leadership Training Institute.
The Feminine Love of Animals
Program Number: 915
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Michelle Conlin, Ann Stone, Heather Nauert
• Changing Attitudes on Sex and Abortion
• Domestic Violence Decreasing
• Interview w/Mary Lou Randour, author of Animal Grace
Program Number: 914
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Ann Stone, Phyllis Greenberger, Megan Beyer, Toni Ford
• The Elections and the Social Security Debate: Interview w/Senator Barbara Mikulski, D - Maryland
• Managing Menopause
Working Woman 500
Program Number: 913
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Elaine Chao, Ruth Conniff, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Throwaway Dads: Armin Brott
• Interview w/Bernadette Grey, Editor-in-Chief of Working Woman Magazine
Program Number: 912
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Ruth Conniff, Elaine Chao, Karen Miller
• Beijing +5
• Chance of Woman VP in 2000 Growing Slim
Senator Dianne Feinstein: Gun Control
Program Number: 911
Panelists: Lynn Martin, Julianne Malveaux, Amy Holmes, Pat Schroeder
• The Pill at 40
• The Happiness Index
• Interview w/California Senator Dianne Feinstein
Play Like a Man, Win Like a Woman
Program Number: 910
Panelists: Lynn Martin, Julianne Malveaux, Amy Holmes, Michelle Conlin
• NOW Rates FOX the "Network of Shame"
• PA Governor Tom Ridge as Bush Running Mate?
• Interview w/Gail Evans, an Executive Director at CNN
California Tech Up
Program Number: 909
Panelists: Senator Barbara Boxer, Irene Natividad, Amy Holmes, Ann Stone
• After-School Education Programs
• Women and Grassroots Organizing via the Internet
I'm Not Mad, I Just Hate You!: Mother-Teenage Daughter Conlifcts
Program Number: 908
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Linda Chavez, Ruth Conniff, Karen Miller
• The Gun Issue: Million Mom March vs. Second Amendment Sisters
• Giuliani Campaign Woes
• Interview w/Dr. Roni Cohen Sandler
Women Waging Peace
Program Number: 907
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Heather Nauert, Julianne Malveaux, Karen Miller
• Million Mom March
• Paying Without Paternity
• Interview w/Swanee Hunt, Former Ambassador to Austria and now Harvard University’s Women and Public Policy Program Director
Program Number: 906
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Heather Nauert, Julianne Malveaux, Karen Miller
• Elian Gonzalez
• Testosterone Therapy
• Interview w/Representative Connie Morella (R-Maryland)
Women on Shop Floors
Program Number: 905
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Laura Flanders, Amy Holmes, Karen Miller
• Girls Shun Technology
• Erin Brockovich: Casual/Sexy Dress at Work
• Interview w/Eileen Appelbaum, Research Director of the Economic Policy Institute
Program Number: 904
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Laura Flanders, Amy Holmes, Michelle Conlin
• Women's Vote 2000: Bush-Gore Camapaign Gaffs
• Britain's Prime Minister Blair to take 'Paternity Leave'
• Interview w/Judith Lichtman, President of the National Partnership for Women & Families
Early Childhood Initiative
Program Number: 903
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Irene Natividad, Linda Chavez, Susan Molinari
• Women's Vote 2000: Gun Control and Social Security
• Pennsylvania's Early Childhood Initiative
Women & Corporate Boards
Program Number: 902
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Elaine Chao, Pat Schroeder, Kellyanne Fitzpatrick
• Women Want Affirmative Action (AFL-CIO Study)
• Teen Drivers: The More the Deadlier
• Interview w/Madeliene Condit of Korn/Ferry International.
Internet Innovations for Women
Program Number: 901
Panelists: Rep. Ellen Tauscher, Amy Holmes, Pat Schroeder, Rosalynn O'Connell
• Rules on Ritalin - First Lady, Hillary Clinton outlines plans to study the number of children on powerful psychiatric drugs.
• Governor Bush's views may "kill" the women's vote - George W. holds the record of overseeing more executions than any other governor.
• Internet Innovations for Women - TTC's look at how technological developments will make women's everyday lives easier.
Prescription Drug Benefits
Program Number: 852
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ruth Conniff, Elaine Chao, Linda Chavez
• Brilliant Babies
• Working Women Work Irregular Hours
• Interview w/Senator Blanche Lambert Lincoln.
Program Number: 851
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Ruth Conniff, Elaine Chao, Karen Miller
• Super Tuesday Primaries
• Abandoned Babies
• Unsung Heroines: Great Women Doing Great Things.
Women's History Month
Program Number: 850
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Laura Flanders, Toni Ford, Amy Holmes
• Urban Sprawl
• New Business Trend? Clients Get Canned
• Interview w/ Patricia Ireland, President of the National Organization for Women.
Women & Venture Capital
Program Number: 849
Panelists: Irene Natividad, Toni Ford, Laura Flanders, Michelle Conlin
• McCain leads Bush over Gore
• Multi-Millionaire Marriage Meltdown
• Interview w/Sheryl Marshall, Managing Director of Axxon Capital.
Program Number: 848
Panelists: Lynn Martin, Arianna Huffington, Irene Natividad, Julianne Malveaux
• Women, Religion & Politics
• Women & Bio-Diversity
• Older Women and Sarcopenia.
Program Number: 847
Panelists: Rep. Ellen Tauscher, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Amy Holmes, Lynn Martin
• Cohabitation on the Rise
• Hillary Clinton Officially Announces NY Senate Run
• Early Childhood Family Education.
Election 2000: Ernestine Schlant Bradley
Program Number: 846
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Amy Holmes, Heather Nauert, Julianne Malveaux
• The Natural History of Rape?
• The Great Black Divide
• Interview w/Ernestine Schlant Bradley, wife of Presidential candidate Bill Bradley.
Girls & AD/HD
Program Number: 845
Panelists: Rep. Anne Northup, Rep. Janice Schakowsky, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Linda Chavez
• State of the Union: State of Healthcare
• Girls and Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.
Program Number: 844
Panelists: Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Linda Chavez, Ruth Conniff, Toni Ford
• Preview: The Iowa Caucuses
• Teen Allowance Averages $50 a week
• Interview w/Deirdre Mulligan, of the Center for Democracy & Technology.
The Reform Party
Program Number: 843
Panelists: Julianne Malveaux, Linda Chavez, Ruth Conniff, Toni Ford
• Elian Gonzalez/Grandparents Suing for Visitation at Supreme Court
• Americans' Mixed Reactions on Putting a Woman in the White House.
• Interview w/Jacqueline Salit, Reform Party Consultant.
Mexico's Abortion Debate
Program Number: 842
Panelists: Rep. Connie Morella, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Irene Natividad, Ann Stone, Frances Kissling
• OSHA Standards in the Home
• Mexico's Abortion Debate
Support for pbs.org provided by: