Today’s brightest personalities discover the surprising stories buried within their own families in the fifth season of the critically acclaimed PBS series FINDING YOUR ROOTS WITH HENRY LOUIS GATES, JR. The new ten-episode season premiered on January 8, 2019 (check local listings) on PBS.
This season features an array of celebrated guests who are cultural trailblazers with fascinating family stories, including Academy Award winner Marisa Tomei; Emmy and Golden Globe Award winners Felicity Huffman, Laura Linney and S. Epatha Merkerson; and actors Michael K. Williams, Andy Samberg, Chloë Sevigny and Kal Penn. Season Five also includes superstar author George R.R. Martin; acclaimed journalists Christiane Amanpour, Ann Curry, Joe Madison and Lisa Ling; bestselling author and Facebook executive Sheryl Sandberg; TV hosts Seth Meyers and Michael Strahan; artists Marina Abramović and Kehinde Wiley; politicians Marco Rubio, Tulsi Gabbard and Paul Ryan; Academy Award-winning filmmakers Alejandro G. Iñárritu and Michael Moore; and comedians Tig Notaro and Sarah Silverman.
When to watch
Finding Your Roots With Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
FINDING YOUR ROOTS WITH HENRY LOUIS GATES, JR., Season Five includes the following episodes:
- “The Stories Encoded In Our DNA” with Andy Samberg and George R.R. Martin
- “Mystery Men” with Michael K. Williams and Felicity Huffman
- “Truth Tellers” with Christiane Amanpour, Ann Curry and Lisa Ling
- “Dreaming of a New Land (Between Worlds)” with Sheryl Sandberg, Kal Penn and Marisa Tomei
- “Freedom Tales” with S. Epatha Merkerson and Michael Strahan
- “Into The Wild” with Laura Linney, Michael Moore and Chloë Sevigny
- “Roots in Politics” with Tulsi Gabbard, Marco Rubio and Paul Ryan
- “The Eye of the Beholder” with Marina Abramović, Alejandro G. Iñárritu and Kehinde Wiley
- “No Laughing Matter” with Tig Notaro, Seth Meyers and Sarah Silverman
- “All in the Family” with Joe Madison, Dr. Gates’ personal DNA story and “The Finding Your Roots: The Seedlings” STEM Camp