The Challenge: Make a kite from natural products
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
that we understand the principles of aerodynamics, what is the best
way of making a kite?
Take two 90 cm (1 yard) long sticks, one slightly thicker than the other.
2. Cut the thicker stick to 75 cm (3 ft.) long (this will be your horizontal
bar) and make pencil marks 2 cm (3/4 in.) in from each end.
3. Using a small saw, cut tiny, slanted notches on the marks.
4. Mark the center but don't put a notch in it.
5. On the thinner stick make pencil marks 2 cm (3/4 in.) in from the ends
and 20 cm (8 in.) from the bottom.
6. Cut a V-notch at the top of the stick and slanted notches at
the other marks. This will be your vertical bar.
7. To attach the bars together, put the center of the horizontal
stick into the V-notch of the vertical stick and criss-cross a piece
of string for a tight fit.
8. Attach the end of another piece of string to notch A on the horizontal
9. Gently bend the stick down and wrap the string around the vertical
stick at point B so the string is about 30 cm (12 in.) long.
10. Bend the other side of the horizontal stick and attach the string
at notch C, another 30 cm (12 in.) long.
11. Then continue stringing the kite frame from point C to point
D, from point D to notch A, from notch A to notch E and from E to
Making it fly