16 Things to Know About... President-Elect Donald Trump
On January 20, Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th president of the United States after winning a majority of the electoral college vote on Tuesday. Here's what you need to know about the future Commander in Chief:
1. Trump has never held a public office. He is the first president to be elected without a career stopover in government or the military.
2. Trump, at age 70, will be the oldest president ever sworn into office.
3. After getting into some trouble in grade school, Trump’s parents sent him to the New York Military Academy. Other graduates of NYMA include Francis Ford Coppola, Stephen Sondheim and John Gotti Jr.
4. Trump graduated from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business with a degree in Economics in 1968. He also attended Fordham University.
5. After college, he worked for his father’s company and convinced him to develop and expand real estate opportunities. According to Trump’s biography, his father often said, “everything my son touches seems to turn to gold.”
6. Trump received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2007 for his work on The Apprentice.
7. At one point his building, the Trump World Tower, was the largest residential building in the world. It’s 90 stories high.
8. Trump once insulted former President Ronald Reagan in his 1987 book, “The Art of the Deal.” He said “only now, nearly seven years later, are people beginning to question whether there’s anything beneath that smile.”
9. He is #405 on Forbes list of the world’s billionaires for 2015. Forbes reported his net worth is $4.1 billion. Trump stated the magazine was incorrect and that his actual net worth was $11.5 billion.
10. Trump believes that “a nation without borders is not a nation.” His immigration solution includes building a wall across the southern border of the United States.
11. He was involved in the “birther” movement that questioned whether Barack Obama was born in the United States, though he acknowledged in September that the President was likely born here.
12. Trump is the first Republican president-elect to have put forward proposals on child care. He plans to allow families to deduct child care costs from their taxes and has proposed six weeks maternity leave for biological mothers.
13. Top priorities for Trump’s first 100 days in office include: limiting congressional terms, renegotiating NAFTA, repealing Obamacare and enacting a “multi-trillion dollar” tax cut.
14. Trump has frequently described global warming as a “hoax.” He plans to withdraw from the Paris Agreement and reconsider the EPA’s finding that carbon dioxide is a harmful pollutant.
15. Trump won as a Republican, but he has been affiliated with other political parties including the Reform Party (1999 to 2001), the Democratic Party (2001 to 2009) and the Independent Party (2011 to 2012).
16. He is currently married to Melania Trump, with whom he has one child (Barron, who is 10). The future First Lady is a former Slovenian model. Trump has four other children (Donald, Jr., Ivanka, Eric and Tiffany) from previous marriages.