by Maggie Haberman, Michael Gordon, Eric Schmitt | The New York Times
President Trump, who has been accused by lawmakers of dragging his feet on Afghanistan, has settled on a new strategy to carry on the nearly 16-year-old conflict there, administration officials said Sunday.
Amid the fallout from President Trump's comments on the Charlottesville protests, the president at Camp David will try to focus on what may be one of the most consequential decisions of this young presidency: do U.S. troops stay or withdraw from Afghanistan?
President Trump issued yet another provocative warning of military action against North Korea on Friday, the third time in a week that he has suggested he was ready to strike the small, isolated Asian country that has been developing nuclear weapons capable of reaching the United States.
Tensions escalated between the United States and North Korea after U.S. intelligence agencies assessed North Korea has successfully miniaturized a nuclear warhead that could fit on a missile capable of reaching Chicago.
President Trump has held off so far on approving strategy recommendations for the nearly 16-year war in Afghanistan. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said this week, "To just say we're going to keep doing what we've been doing, the president is not willing to accept that."
President Donald Trump has become increasingly frustrated with his advisers tasked with crafting a new U.S. strategy in Afghanistan and recently suggested firing the war's top military commander during a tense meeting at the White House, according to senior administration officials.