Jerry Kobalenko's "Ellesmere Island" Blog
The Greely Expedition interviewee Jerry Kobalenko keeps a blog about Ellesmere Island with writings, images, maps and archival photographs from his Arctic travels.
Abandoned in the Arctic: Documentary Film
A documentary from Cocked Hat Ventures LLC, released in 2009.
Arlington National Cemetery: Adolphus Washington Greely
Biography of A.W. Greely from the Arlington National Cemetery website and images from his gravesite.
The Arctic Saga of David Legg Brainard
A website assembled by a descendant of David Brainard, which includes a biography and description of his journey as a member of Greely's crew.
A Biographical Sketch of Gen. David L. Brainard, US Army
Biography of David Brainard from the International Polar Year website.
Chances for Arctic Survival: Greely's Expedition Revisited
A PDF article written for Arctic Magazine in December 2002.
James Booth Lockwood Biography
Biography of crew member James Lockwood from a Hassan Cigarette Card series in 1914.
The Internet Archive
Scanned archival documents from the Lady Franklin Bay Expedition.
- Schley, Winfield S. "Report of Winfield S. Schley, Commanding Greely Relief Expedition of 1884." Washington: Government Printing Office, 1887. http://www.archive.org/stream/cu31924083524383#page/n9/mode/2up
- Greely, A.W. "Greely Relief Expedition: Reception of Lieut. A.W. Greely, U.S.A., and his Comrades, and of the Arctic Relief Expedition, at Portsmouth, N.H., on August 1 and 4, 1884: an Account Prepared at the Request of the Navy Department (1884)." Washington: G.P.O. http://www.archive.org/stream/cihm_17431#page/n3/mode/2up
- Greely, A.W. Explorers and Travellers. New York: Scribner, 1904. http://www.archive.org/stream/explorerstravell00greeuoft#page/n9/mode/2up
- Greely, Gen. A.W. American Weather: A Popular Exposition of the Phenomena of the Weather. New York: Dodd, Mead & Company, 1888. http://www.archive.org/stream/americanweather00greegoog#page/n10/mode/2up
- Greely, Major-General A.W. True Tales of Arctic Heroism in the New World. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1912. http://www.archive.org/stream/truetalesofarcti00greeuoft#page/n5/mode/2up
- Greely, A.W. Handbook of Polar Discoveries. 5th Ed. Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1896. http://www.archive.org/stream/handbookpolardi00greegoog#page/n8/mode/2up
International Polar Year Links
- International Polar Year http://ipy.arcticportal.org/
- International Polar Foundation http://www.polarfoundation.org/
- NASA and the International Polar Year http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/IPY/main/index.html
- US and the International Polar Year http://www.ipy.gov/
- The First International Polar Year http://www.arctic.noaa.gov/aro/ipy-1/
Berton, Pierre. Arctic Grail: The Quest for the Northwest Passage and the North Pole, 1818-1909. New York: The Lyons Press, 2000.
Brainard, David L. The Outpost of the Lost: An Arctic Adventure. Indianapolis: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, 1929.
Dick, Lyle. Muskox Land: Ellesmere Island in the Age of Contact. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2001.
Fleming, Fergus. Ninety Degrees North: The Quest for the North Pole. New York: Grove Press, 2001.
Greely, Maj. Gen. A.W. Reminiscences of Adventure and Service. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1927.
Greely, Lieut. A.W. Three Years of Arctic Service Vols. I & II: An Account of the Lady Franklin Bay Expedition of 1881-1884 and the Attainment of the Farthest North. New York: Charles Scribner’s Sons, 1886.
Guttridge, Leonard F. Ghosts of Cape Sabine: The Harrowing True Story of the Greely Expedition. New York: Berkley Books, 2000.
Kobalenko, Jerry. The Horizontal Everest: Extreme Journeys on Ellesmere Island. New York: Soho Press, Inc., 2002.
Lopez, Barry. Arctic Dreams: Imagination and Desire in a Northern Landscape. New York: Vintage Books, 1986.
Lotz, Jim. Canada’s Forgotten Arctic Hero: George Rice and the Lady Franklin Bay Expedition, 1881-1884. Cape Breton: Breton Books, 2009.
McGhee, Robert. The Last Imaginary Place: A Human History of the Arctic World. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 2005.
Powell, Theodore. The Long Rescue. New York: Doubleday & Company, 1960.
Putnam, William Lowell. Arctic Superstars. Sedona: The American Alpine Club, 2001.
Robinson, Michael F. The Coldest Crucible: Arctic Exploration and American Culture. Chicago, University of Chicago Press, 2006.
Streever, Bill. Cold: Adventures in the World’s Frozen Places. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2009.
Todd, Alden. Abandoned: The Story of the Greely Arctic Expedition 1881-1884. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1961.