- Primary Resources: The Opening Fiesta
- General Article: Opposition to the Bridge
- Timeline: Golden Gate Bridge Chronology
- General Article: Urban Planning in the San Francisco Bay Area
- General Article: The Golden Gate Bridge's Opening Day and its 50th Anniversary
- Further Reading: Related Books and Websites
On May 27, 1937, 200,000 people thronged to the newly-completed Golden Gate bridge and walked, climbed, skated or cycled across. After 18 years of struggles to complete the bridge, San Francisco's jubilance was unrestrained.
My American Experience
From the Empire State Buiding to the carvings on Mount Rushmore, the Golden Gate Bridge, and the Space Needle, the U.S. has dozens of impressive, important, and iconic structures. Which ones have you been to? Which has had the biggest impact?