- Primary Resources: Accepting the Republican Nomination, 1968
- Primary Resources: Address on the Vietnam War, 1969
- Primary Resources: Watergate, First Address, 1973
- Further Reading: Related Books and Websites
- Primary Resources: First Inaugural Address 1969
- Primary Resources: Second Inaugural Address, 1973
The enigmatic nature of the Nixon presidency combined comparatively progressive legislative initiatives with a flagrant abuse of presidential power and the public trust. His achievements in expanding peaceful relations with China and the Soviet Union stand in stark contrast with his continuation of the war in Vietnam. Finally brought down by scandal and duplicity, his administration did much to erode the citizenry's faith in government.
My American Experience
Who is your favorite 20th-century American president? Was it FDR? Reagan? Clinton? Or one of the other 14 men who helped usher the United Sates through the 1900s? Who do you think was the most influential?