Artist Wayne White, who will be featured on the Independent Lens filmis beloved in the fine arts world for his “word paintings.”
He buys big landscape paintings at flea markets and transforms them into unique works of art by painting block-letter phrases and words across them. You can see a few in the photo above and many more on the Wayne Whitepage.
Our friends at Independent Lens asked Wayne for some of this tips for shopping at flea markets. He was happy to humor us. Literally.
1. Don’t buy landscape reproductions and paint words on it.
2. If you recognize me in a thrift store don’t tell the proprietor about my gazillion dollar markup.
3. I don’t paint on Thomas Kinkade. Hasn’t he suffered enough?
4. You’ll never get the cigarette smell off those pictures and don’t try. It’s part of the provenance.
5. Always be nice to the lady with the matted wig and three hats. She means well.
Beauty is Embarrassing will be broadcast 10 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, 2013. Check local listings. Photo of Wayne White is courtesy of Independent Lens.