Rollover Information
About the Series Schedule The Archive Learning Resources The American Collection Home Search Shop
The Archive Broadcast Schedule Masterpiece Theatre Forum Forum

Forum [image map with 2 links]

Visit this site:
Bleak House

Share your thoughts
Forum Home

Bleak House
updated 6.27.2006

Warning! Plot points may be revealed below!

Dear Masterpiece Theatre,
I have just recently started watching Masterpiece Theatre regularly, and I just wanted to thank you for the great books you bring to television! I got hooked on Masterpiece Theatre when you aired Bleak House, which became one of my favorite books. The casting was fantastic, and I especially enjoyed Gillian Anderson as Lady Dedlock. She was perfect for the role and virtually unrecognizable from her days on The X-Files. I also liked Charles Dance as Mr. Tulkinghorn. He was fantastic and very convincingly evil. Thank you so much for such great programming and keep up the good work!

Charlotte Ryan
Birmingham, AL

I just wanted to thank Masterpiece Theatre and PBS for the superb production of Bleak House. The adaptation, direction and acting were incomparable. I felt as though I was transported back to the Victorian era and the suspense was palatable. I thought that it would be difficult following so many characters but the actors did such an outstanding job making them so real and believable. Thank you for this exhilarating "mountain top" experience!

Judy Chatfield
Southington, CT

I enjoyed your production of Bleak House so much that I am actually having withdrawal! Gillian Anderson and Anna Maxwell Martin were fantastic, and Richard Harrington as Woodcourt was an absolute heartthrob. I loved the staging and script. Please make more shows like this -- more great stories and fewer how-to and "reality" shows.

Dale Hansen
Somerville, MA

Superb! Without question, an absolutely outstanding interpretation of Dickens' work, and the actors were dead on. I was sad to see it end!

Angela
MA

I absolutely loved this production! The story line was excellent. It was original and captivating. I loved the fact that although there were different story lines, they all seemed to blend together without being confusing. With each episode, I found myself on the edge of my seat. I couldn't wait to see the next one! Waiting a whole week seemed like a punishment. I thought that the actors were well cast and did an excellent job. They all embodied the characters that they were playing so well that it felt real. One could easily forget that it was just a show. I was very much impressed with the young actors who portrayed Charley and Jo. Their performances were excellent. Once again Masterpiece Theatre delivers gold.

Michal Robinson

Just wanted to say that Bleak House was the best production I've seen since the Poldark series 30 years ago. In fact, it is the best overall production I've ever seen on television.

Gloria Badillo Hill
Austin, TX

Sensational! I didn't miss an episode of Bleak House and refused to answer the phone while it was on. First rate acting, doing great honor to Mr. Dickens' characters. Encore! Encore! Thank you, PBS.

Mildred Smith
Bozeman, MT

Bleak House was Masterpiece Theatre at its absolute best! It seems like you've gotten away from the multiple-part serials that have always been the Masterpiece Theatre hallmark, I hope this is a sign of the future. I also hope you return to having a host in the tradition as Alistair Cooke and Russell Baker; they added a special touch.

I also think Mystery! should return to its independent night, as it used to be, and not be shared with Masterpiece Theatre. It deserves to have its own night, as it had for so many years.

Mark Thanas
Concord, NH

Thank you so much for your production of Bleak House. it was magnificent! I was captivated each week, waiting for more. I have watched parts of it over and over and have also now purchased the book to read. I was not familiar with the story before. The actors were excellent; the whole story so well done. Again, my deepest thanks. I hope to view the entire saga again whenever it airs. Kudos to all responsible. I absolutely love Masterpiece Theatre! All of your works are so well done! Thank you for feeding us the great works of literature!

Christine Scherr
Fort Collins, CO

The best show I have ever seen in any genre!

Melvin Greenblatt
Ventura, CA

Thank you PBS and the excellent cast for an outstanding dramatic presentation of Dickens' novel. The casting was brilliant, the sets remarkable and the pace intoxicating. The best drama on television. All should be very proud of the result!

Donald Kauke
West Hartford, CT

Share your thoughts More on Bleak House

Home | About The Series | The American Collection | The Archive
Schedule & Season | Feature Library | eNewsletter | Book Club
Learning Resources | Forum | Search | Shop | Feedback

WGBH Logo PBS logo

©

Vertical Dotted Line