Rollover Information
About the Series Schedule The Archive Learning Resources The American Collection Home Search Shop
The Archive Broadcast Schedule Masterpiece Theatre Forum Forum

Forum [image map with 2 links]

Visit this site:
Casanova

Share your thoughts
Forum Home

Casanova
updated 11.21.2006

Dear Masterpiece Theatre,
I wanted to compliment you on the quality of your two-part airing of the Casanova story. The acting was simply superb, the storyline captivating, and it leaves me hoping that you will make this a part of your online shop in short order. Surprisingly, I admit that the baseball playoffs took a back seat to my viewing habits for the two evenings -- you've outdone yourselves for sure. My kudos to your production and scheduling staffs. Please do let me know if said program does become available. Thank you.

Doug
Nashville, TN

Oh, how wonderful a program! That is what PBS should have more of, instead of fund drives full of self-help gurus!

Diane Birdwell
Dallas, TX

Casanova was so great that I can not stop thinking about it. Both Casanovas did an outstanding job and I need to buy the DVD to view it again and again. Loved it!

Phyllis McGuire
Longboat Key, FL

I thought it was quite sad that Casanova loved Henriette, but the fact that he slept with other women is the problem. If he really loved her he would not do what he did. He did love her. That's what really matters.

Christine Daae
Pittsburgh, PA

Did I miss something, or did the last scene with Bellino in Venice seem oddly futuristic? It almost seemed like something out of The Lathe of Heaven or The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. Did anyone else think the setting and costuming of the scene seemed strange?

Chuck Lee
MI

I found the presentation of Casanova's life very interesting with a color and energy rarely seen. Seldom do we live life to the fullest degree; however, he did so with passion and zeal. We live in denial of who we are as people, never really living life but subsisting in a mold cast by others. However, we can live life to the fullest as he did but in a more honorable way. So, go out and live, that is the lesson to be learned. Because when you're at your deathbed, it is over. Food for thought.

Robert Benton
Stephenville, TX

Casanova is one of my new favorite movies now. At first I thought it was a pointless story but, to my surprise, after seeing the first episode I couldn't wait until the next. It kept me entertained and wondering what could possibly happen next. Thank you for bringing wonderful movies like that to public television.

Yessenia Navarro
Grand Prairie, TX

A new low for Masterpiece Theatre -- tacky, tasteless, and tawdry. I can't believe Peter O'Toole lent himself to this. It just shows how public television continues to follow the general downward spiral of the popular media at the hands of those who control it.

Daniel Larsen
Long Beach, CA

I was somewhat disappointed in the first segment. O'Toole is still brilliant, despite his aging. It is so upsetting to see once-handsome actors age, but his acting is still superb. However, the actor who plays him in youth leaves much to be desired. Even though I assume the vehicle was meant to be frivolous, Tennant's facial expressions were most annoying. I actually could not watch it to the end. Will see if the second segment improves. Coincidentally, my creditable colleagues seem to agree with me.

Sylvia Joffe
Edison, OH

It took an enormous effort to believe that the two actors, as admirable as they were in playing their individual roles, were related. Peter O'Toole's plummy diction as old Casanova went out the window when Casanova the younger appeared. He was a sweet fellow, but he talked like a cockney who had been born within the sound of Bow Bells. (That's in London where I was born!) The contrast in speech between the two lead actors was very difficult to swallow. Has anyone else mentioned this? Just curious!

Barbara Greenhouse
NY

The acting and writing are wonderful but Tennant is not my idea of a 'Casanova.'

Lorraine Collins
Bayonne, NJ

I saw the first episode of Casanova. It's the best thing I have seen on Masterpiece Theatre in a long time. O'Toole works his O'Toole magic, a perfect job of casting. The other actors are excellent, the direction is fun, and, aside from some modern English colloquialisms that seem out of place, this is wonderful entertainment. Gonna be tough to match this quality. But do try!

Ed O.
Oakland, CA

I just saw Part I and want to commend you on the "splendidness" of this bio. It is most tasteful and all actors are simply splendid.

Evelyn Ronell
Secaucus, NJ

It was with great anticipation that I sat down to watch Casanova yesterday as I have read the story of his life with interest and admiration. What a disappointment! The director, whoever he is, deserves the whip for his obnoxious anachronisms, garish costumes, slangy dialogue and excruciatingly bad music (when the 18th-century produced the most charming and grandiose music ever written by man, they had to use horrible modern concoctions of sounds). And the dancing... no comment. As for young Casanova, with his lower-class English accent, he had all the dashing nobility of a grocery store packer. The only elegant touch was provided by this wonderful actor Peter O'Toole. Why couldn't he tell that arrogant director that he was out to lunch!

Dr. Jacqueline de Sarigny-Gerols
Montreal, QC

Masterpiece Theatre has for years provided excellence in programming, entertainment suitable for all. Devoid of the baseness and vulgarity of the rest of the entertainment industry, it was with sorrow that I beheld Masterpiece Theatre fail it's viewers. Yes, I know Casanova is about sexual exploits. No, I am not a prude. I am just sick and tired of crudeness in today's world. Masterpiece Theatre has provided me with a place of sophistication -- well-spoken English, beautiful costumes and settings -- culture! I am sorely disappointed.

Melanie Boone
Charlotte, NC

Extremely funny and entertaining film.

Gary Ward
Ardmore, OK

Excellent production! Laugh-out-loud funny! Excellent acting, a witty script, romance and pageantry. What a wonderful time I had! Oh, bravo! Bravo!

Vince Singleton
Kingsport, TN

Share your thoughts

Home | About The Series | The American Collection | The Archive
Schedule & Season | Feature Library | eNewsletter | Book Club
Learning Resources | Forum | Search | Shop | Feedback

WGBH Logo PBS logo

©

Vertical Dotted Line