Rollover Information
About the Series Schedule The Archive Learning Resources The American Collection Home Search Shop
The Archive Broadcast Schedule Masterpiece Theatre Forum Forum

Forum [image map with 2 links]

Visit this site:
The Forsyte Saga

Share your thoughts
Forum Home

The Forsyte Saga, Series II
updated 3.15.2004

Dear Masterpiece Theatre,
Though the young actors playing Jon and Fleur are gifted and beautiful, I was disappointed by liberties taken by the scriptwriters. The scene with Fleur (in disguise) going to see Young Jolyon is absurd. Fleur is much smarter than that, and would know she would be caught in a lie later on. Second, Young Jolyon would never visit Soames, who then demands that his daughter keep away from Jon. Jolyon and Soames avoid each other like the plague. Jolyon is more concerned for Irene, and for how she might react, than for himself. The riveting scenes are between Irene and Soames and not between Irene and Jolyon.

Also, why are Montague Dartie and Aunt Hester still alive? According to the Galsworthy book, they pass on early in the century. And why do the characters not age? June is pushing 60, yet looks 25. Holly looks older than June though she's supposed to be a lot younger, and Soames is pushing 70, yet he looks about 45. For me, these obvious liberties with the plot take away from the drama.

Lucy Heckman
New York, NY

I'm so addicted to The Forsyte Saga! I look forward to each Sunday when it comes on. I can't get away from the television. My husband doesn't understand why, but I just love it. And to all the Irene haters: I think she's wonderful. Soames has grown on me a bit, now that he's had a daughter, but he put Irene through pure dread!

Andrea Bowen
Nashville, TN

Please list names and composers of the wonderful piano music used in The Forsyte Saga II now airing. The music is excellent, but there are no credits being given.

Nancy Bird
Morgantown, WV

As listed in Cast and Credits, the composer for The Forsyte Saga, Series II is Geoffrey Burgeon.

Rarely do I tune in to a program more than once these days. My television has become a device that hooks into my DVD player, rather than the other way around. The Forsyte Saga has become my guilty pleasure! I found it by accident during a bout of channel surfing and, as good fortune would have it, it was the first episode. Quickly drawn in to the lives of these characters, I found myself eagerly anticipating the next airing. The pleasant discovery that there was a DVD collection was just a bonus. I re-watched the entire Series I before Series II began. The acting is stunning.

My favorite moment is the one in which Soames holds his baby daughter for the first time and realizes that he loves her, despite the fact that she's a girl. The tears in his eyes and the smile on his lips are genuine. The great acting teacher Sanford Meisner said, "Acting is living truthfully in imaginary circumstances." That is what these fine performers do and in so doing, they entice us into a different world for an hour or two; a world we love to share with them. Thanks for such a fabulous series.

Danielle Roy-Dilks
Orlando, FL

I thought The Forsyte Saga, Series II was brilliant. I've read all the books and have seen the 1960s version as well. My favorite characters are Fleur and Soames, because the actors that play them bring such emotion to the roles. I've always had a crush on Oliver Milburn (though I'm not sure why), and I absolutely adore him (as Michael Mont) in this series. Thanks so much Masterpiece Theatre!

Meg Devlin

Share your thoughts

Home | About The Series | The American Collection | The Archive
Schedule & Season | Feature Library | eNewsletter | Book Club
Learning Resources | Forum | Search | Shop | Feedback

WGBH Logo PBS logo

©

Vertical Dotted Line