Rollover Information
About the Series Schedule The Archive Learning Resources The American Collection Home Search Shop
The Archive Broadcast Schedule Masterpiece Theatre Forum Forum

Forum [image map with 2 links]

General Comments about Masterpiece Theatre
updated 11.27.2006

Dear Masterpiece Theatre,
What has happened to the fantastic TV on Thursday and Sunday nights? I so looked forward to spending Thursday night watching Mystery! and starting the week by watching Masterpiece Theatre. Thursday is now a sewer and on Sundays, I must be content to watch some Mystery! and some Masterpiece Theatre. What a waste of Thursday! Why tinker with what was a wonderful program lineup? Currently PBS has so much time and so little to distinguish it from the commercial channels. Give me back my separate Mystery! and Masterpiece Theatre!!!

Nolan Vaughan
Tulsa, OK

I absolutely adore Masterpiece Theatre. I wait for it every Sunday night and it makes me so happy when it's on. I love British classics and just about classic anything. Thank you so much for such a great program!

Lauren McGhee
Bellevue, WA

I love Masterpiece Theatre. However, it is often preempted by fundraising or other programs. The show is a "masterpiece," and one wonders why PBS would preempt it with substandard fundraising programs, which seems to be occurring more and more often.

Judy Dex
Hartford, CT

I have watched Masterpiece Theatre for over 30 years. I would be intellectually and educationally deprived without these outstanding "masterpieces." Thank you for bringing "the best" to the public.

Betty Walsh
Reading, MA

I've been watching Masterpiece Theatre since I was five and I love it as much now as I did then! Compared to so many other TV shows out there, Masterpiece Theatre is really a work of art in every episode. Thanks for giving me a show that I can watch and know, every time, that I'm watching something good.

Claire Primozic
Rio Rancho, NM

Masterpiece Theatre is not only the best program on PBS, but the best program on TV, period. My wife and I buy the movies on DVD to hold us over when it's not on PBS. If they showed these movies at the theater, they'd all win for best picture!

Jeff and Jan Stephenson
Topeka, KS

For years I have been looking forward to Sunday nights at 9:00 P.M. I knew that I could count on being transported to another time and place. The classics are brought to life with impeccable authenticity, with wonderful sets and beautiful costumes. The acting is always top notch. No matter how the real world is crumbling around me, for an hour or an hour and a half, I'm relaxed and entertained. The more contemporary works are engrossing and so beautifully acted that they also weave their magic. Please keep Masterpiece Theatre on Sunday nights forever!

Anna Remon
Hackensack, NJ

Thirty years ago my daughter was born, and so was I as an original fan of Masterpiece Theatre. Pre-VCRs, taping was not an option, so Sunday nights was definitely her dad's turn to read and tuck her in bed. All the dramas you've presented over the three decades have been superb, from Upstairs, Downstairs, The Forsyte Saga, The Duchess of Duke Street, and all that involved the monarchy, just to mention a few. Thanks so much and best wishes for more decades of productions!

Kathy Strack
Belleville, NJ

Superb! Every time I hear "contributions from viewers like you, thank you," I want to personally say, no to me, thanks to you! Thank you for giving the viewer what is really worthwhile.

Elizabeth Valle
Pasadena, CA

I LOVE Masterpiece Theatre. Real actors, real stories, real theatre. No botoxed babes here. I am addicted.

Katherine Puckett
Canton, MS

Foyle's War and The Inspector Lynley Mysteries are the best shows on television.

Bill Fleming
New York, NY

Masterpiece Theatre is one of the best shows on public television right now. I remember watching one of Mark Russell's comedy specials on PBS a while back in which he joked that, in the future, the program would be hosted by Tony Danza. Now that would be a hoot! Overall, it is a fine show and the numerous parodies of it are affectionate indeed.

Dana Carlson
Woodbury, MN

Growing up, I wasn't very interested in Masterpiece Theatre -- mainly because of its lack of visual production quality; many of the programs were filmed in sound stage environments. Years later, my wife reintroduced me to the series. I was amazed at how far the productions had come in quality. What used to come across as videotaped theater productions were now filmed at authentic and glorious sites. The productions were now on par with feature-length, big-budget films. As always, the writing and adaptations are highly entertaining. My wife and I have just one request: bring back Russell Baker or if he is not available, maybe alternate guest narrators of literary notoriety to introduce each episode. Because most of your adaptations are from literary masterpieces, it was great to have insight before each episode into the history of the original novel or author, how well it was received by its original audience, if the author based certain characters off of political figures from the past, and so on. Please consider this request for upcoming seasons of Masterpiece Theatre!

Franzie Weldgen
Webster, NY

Share your thoughts More General Comments

Home | About The Series | The American Collection | The Archive
Schedule & Season | Feature Library | eNewsletter | Book Club
Learning Resources | Forum | Search | Shop | Feedback

WGBH Logo PBS logo

©

Vertical Dotted Line