Rollover Information
About the Series Schedule The Archive Learning Resources The American Collection Home Search Shop
The Archive Broadcast Schedule Masterpiece Theatre Forum Forum

Forum [image map with 2 links]

Suggestions for Future Productions
updated 11.27.2006

Dear Masterpiece Theatre,
PBS continually presents quality programming, acceptable to the entire family. Let me strongly encourage you to keep that "family oriented approach." May I suggest too, that you do a series on "American heroes" and include great leaders such as President George Washington, General Robert E. Lee, Betsy Ross, Eleanor Roosevelt, Lieutenant General T.J. "Stonewall" Jackson, D.L. Moody, Democratic Presidential candidate (three times) William Jennings Bryan, President Thomas Jefferson, President Calvin Coolidge, Commodore Perry, President "Teddy" Roosevelt, Billy and Ruth Graham, Admiral Chester Nimitz, Lieutenant General George Patton, Sergeant Alvin York, Lieutenant Colonel "Ollie" North, Gene Autrey and President Ronald Reagan. Our young people desperately need great mentorship and many of them don't have a clue as to who most of these very great Americans are. A production of this type by PBS would be a great educational masterpiece... and well worth the monetary investment! Should you need a member of the advisory committee, I'll be happy to volunteer.

Jeff Burnsed
Jacksonville, FL

The year 2016 marks the 100th anniversary of the Easter uprising in Dublin. It's an incredible story that calls for an expert storyteller who can do justice to different points of view. It could take years to bring this epic together but, yes, it's worth the effort. If you want to understand the "why and the how" of many of the conflicts in today's world, look at Ireland in the early 1900s.

Elizabeth Merthyr
Boston, MA

It's revelatory to see the number of Georgette Heyer's fans. I think her sophisticated and atmospheric mysteries, with their very surprising twists, would be a pleasure to watch. Beyond the intelligently delightful romances, I'm a particular fan of her historical novel about Waterloo, An Infamous Army. This would be a terrific miniseries: a dramatic, historic moment, appealing characters, memorable quotes, high emotion, humor, period costumes, and sets ranging from great houses to the muddy battlefield. As I recall, it wasn't the war she was lauding, but courage in its midst. I read it while my brother was serving in Vietnam and it never felt glamorized. Heyer was a felicitous and witty writer whose storytelling in any of her genres is still popular, and I'd love to see dramatizations. Where better than PBS?

Michelle F.
New York, NY

I would like to see a novel by Georgette Heyer dramatized. Thanks.

Kay Densmore
Ashland, VA

As always Masterpiece Theatre does an above-excellent job in what its people choose to put on for viewers to enjoy. I think, and I may be wrong in this, you have yet to produce much of the works of Charles Dickens. Considering the state of the world today, I think his commentaries are more appropriate than ever. There are many to choose from. Perhaps Hard Times might appeal to many whose jobs have been outsourced to a foreign country. The Battle of Life might be another choice. Thank you for allowing me to provide input.

Robert Foedisch
Seattle, WA

Villette by Charlotte Bronte is a wonderful book, and I do believe that it would make a wonderful show. Please do consider. Thank you.

J. M.
Canada

I think that Masterpiece Theatre should consider doing The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

Laura McKie
Garland, TX

I would love to see a miniseries production of the Kathleen Winsor novel Forever Amber. There was a 1940s version with Linda Darnell, Cornell Wilde, and George Sanders that was pretty good, but it left so much of the long novel out. It would make a great miniseries. It's a regular bodice-ripper in the Moll Flanders/Tom Jones/Vanity Fair vein. Also, how about a miniseries of Portrait of a Lady by Henry James? I don't think the 1997 movie version with Nicole Kidman and John Malkovich did it any justice.

Jennifer DeCiero

I'm sure this idea is already being shopped around in Hollywood, but I personally would love to see a British-made, Masterpiece Theatre version of Philip Pullman's brilliant trilogy, His Dark Materials. These three books equal anything by J.K. Rowling (and I am a huge Harry Potter fan) -- they not only create an alternate existence that seems to be true, they make deeply meaningful commentary on our culture, nationalism, religiosity, racism, and class warfare, but in a wholly original and non-didactic way. The only thing to equal it is Tolkien's vision. And I think a British version is called for because it is, in fact, a British vision to begin with and also because Hollywood will be afraid, I fear in these times, to include the spirituality that is in fact a dissection of Christianity (though not overt, only philosophical) and is much more profound than the fantasy of Hogwarts, et al. Demons, indeed.

Maggie Jochild
Austin, TX

Let's see Another Country by James Baldwin.

Duke Mooks
Oklahoma

Currently lacking is a successful adaptation of Edith Wharton's The Children. It would be an ideal piece for Masterpiece Theatre. The miniseries format would allow for the strong plot and character development that is necessary for a Wharton adaptation.

Carrie Gessner
Pittsburgh, PA

The Outlander novel series by Diana Gabaldon would make a wonderful artistic series. The novels begin dealing with Scotland before the 1745 uprising, detail Scottish life, ideals, and of course there is romance. Later, the story line moves to colonial America.

G Simpson
Columbia, MD

Your quality program is inspirational and enlightening. Thank you. I suggest that you, one day, do a program about the life of General Robert E. Lee, termed by the US Army as "the Christian General." Only you... or Mel Gibson... could do him justice!

Thanks a million for all that you have accomplished. Our public is indebted to you.

CH (LTC) Jeff Burnsed
Jacksonville, FL

Thank you for all the wonderful programs.

I would love to see an adaptation of something by Penelope Fitzgerald. But not The Blue Flower, I think.

Faithful Viewer
Potomac, MD

How about a production to do with Wilfred Owen, the English World War I poet?

Martin Warren
Mendota Heights, MN

Share your thoughts More Suggestions for Future Productions

Home | About The Series | The American Collection | The Archive
Schedule & Season | Feature Library | eNewsletter | Book Club
Learning Resources | Forum | Search | Shop | Feedback

WGBH Logo PBS logo

©

Vertical Dotted Line