Happy Darwin Day! Here are five ways to celebrate.
1. Explore his original work. Visit the archives at Darwin Online, and check out Darwin’s handwritten manuscripts, illustrations, and publications. (Pictured below: a draft of his cover page for On The Origin of Species).
2. Read his obituary. Here’s his 1882 obituary from the New York Times.
3. Get graphic. Read the graphic novelization of Darwin’s biography. This excerpt from “Darwin: A Graphic Biography” on the Brain Pickings blog is a good place to start.
4. Discover how scientists continue to finish what he started. Revisit NOVA’s two-hour special “What Darwin Never Knew.”
5. Read his diary. NOVA Evolution has pieced together a fascinating timeline of Darwin’s private musings and published thoughts.