Before any work was done on this structure, which is now known as the Temple of
the Warriors, it appeared as only a 50-foot high mound of debris covered with
trees. In this picture, taken after initial excavation, you can see the top
left portion of the structure. Chichen Itza was the main ruling center of the
Yucatan between 1191-1448 AD, in what is now known as Mexico.
The temple, seen here during excavation, rests on a pyramidal foundation
37 feet high and 136 feet square at the base. The crew shown in this photograph
were part of the Carnegie Institute excavation team which uncovered the
After four years of excavation, in 1928, the Temple of the Warriors was
revealed in its full glory. The pyramid is decorated with richly sculptured
friezes of animals, birds and warriors. Seen here at the right side of the
structure is a steep stairway of 36 steps that is 34 feet wide rising to the
temple platform. On either side of the stairway are two stone sculptures
four feet wide, carved to represent feathered rattlesnakes.