A cadre of physicists working on the theory of shape dynamics could change our understanding of reality. NOVA Next contributor Dan Falk reports the story.
In other news:
- Physicists are close to completing an 80 year quest to create an unusual substance—metallic hydrogen.
- Iceman’s H. pylori genome hints at ancient migrations to Europe.
- Four new elements complete the periodic table’s seventh row.
- It took six years, but scientists finally rid these vulnerable little frogs of a virulent, debilitating disease.
- See microscopic creatures with your own DIY microscope! No fancy tools required.
What We’re Reading
- Antarctic clouds are being studied for the first time in 50 years. [Nature News]
- X-ray binary black holes kick out some low-level light. That means you might be able to see them from your backyard. [Gizmodo]
- Brazil normally sees just several hundred cases of microcephaly each year. But in 2015, officials documented nearly 3,000. [Vox]
- The U.S. government is filing a lawsuit against Volkswagen. [The Verge]
- California is in a state of emergency over a methane leak just outside of L.A. [BBC News]