How should a self-driving car behave? It’s not as simple as you might think. NOVA Next contributor and AAAS Mass Media Fellow Kelsey Houston-Edwards reports the story.
In other news:
- Crystal-powered quantum entanglement satellite will test quantum communications.
- A promising Alzheimer’s treatment has failed in a new trial. But what if the disease is caused by brain infections?
- Physicists detect neutrinos in superposition hurtling through spacetime.
- Human-like speech has been seen in orangutans for the first time.
- Cloning doesn’t lead to early aging.
What We’re Reading
- This is the oldest known example of a malignant tumor in a human ancestor. [National Geographic]
- Is time even real? Physicists are vehemently divided on the question. [Quanta Magazine]
- Many of the genes in your cells can be traced back to life’s last common ancestor. [New Scientist]
- Pretty much everything that survives from Marie Curie’s Parisian home is still radioactive, and will be for at least 1,500 years. [Open Culture]