Dreaming up languages… What does our good friend and Secret Lifer Jean Berko Gleason have to do with Disney’s big-budget fantasy “John Carter”? The invention of fake languages, of course! This TIME magazine article shows how her famous “wug” experiments informed the work of those inventing Thark, the imaginary language used on Mars in “John Carter” and Na’vi, the language used by the inhabitants of Pandora in “Avatar.” In lieu of residuals, we say “oe irayo si ngaru” (Na’vi for “I give thanks to you”) to Jean for helping Hollywood discover the beauty of imaginary languages!
WATCH Jean Berko Gleason videos
How many languages does Jean speak? Can she use her “old lady” voice in all of them? Has she ever won the Indy 500? Watch
- Secret Lifer Revisited: Jean Berko Gleason, Ig Nobel Royalty
- Jean at World Science Festival in NYC
- Jumping on the Baby Babbling Bandwagon
- Ugga Da Bugga
- Secret Life Post Card: Jean Plays Polo
- Trick or Treat: The Halloween Routine
- Jean, Laura, And An Instructional Film
- The Wug Revolution
- “Friends” and Friends with Jean
- Don't You Think?
- 111 MPH
- Secret Life Snap Shot #6
- Hunting And Gathering
- She's A Demon On Wheels!
- The Secret Life Of Maria Gaetana Agnesi
- "Hi, Thanks, And Goodbye"
- The Language Of Science
- Secret Life Snap Shots #4-5
- What's A Wug?
- "Mad Men" And Mango Lemonade
- Ask Jean Your Questions