Judge Overturns Part of Danziger Bridge Verdict
Follow @smoughtsOctober 21, 2011, 1:02 pm ET
While upholding the majority of the verdict, a federal judge yesterday threw out three counts against the five New Orleans police officers convicted in the Danziger Bridge case. Six civilians were shot by police on the bridge in the days after Hurricane Katrina; two of them died and four were severely wounded.
Judge Kurt Engelhardt, who presided over the trial, said that prosecutors failed to prove that Sgt. Kenneth Bowen stomped on Ronald Madison, a 40-year old mentally disabled man, as he lay dying from his wounds. Former Officer Ronald Hunter, who earlier this month was sentenced to eight years in prison for his role in the cover-up, was the only witness to testify he saw Bowen stomp on Madison. According to the Times-Picayune:
The judge also said that there was insufficient evidence that Bowen and three other officers conspired to falsely prosecute Jose Holmes Jr., who survived the shooting, on charges that he shot at police. Holmes “was never prosecuted, arrested or even detained,” the judge wrote.
U.S. District Attorney Jim Letten said his office is weighing an appeal. “The majority of the counts and the serious counts are intact, but all the counts are important to us,” he told the Associated Press.
Sentencing for the five officers is set for Dec. 14.
SUPPORT PROVIDED BY
NEXT ON FRONTLINEMy Brother's Bomber (Part Three)October 13th
FRONTLINE Watch FRONTLINE
FRONTLINE is a registered trademark of WGBH Educational Foundation.
Web Site Copyright ©1995-2015 WGBH Educational Foundation
PBS is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization.