» Student Handout:
Prescription Drug Advertising
After examining drug advertisements in magazines or from television, answer the following questions:
- Describe one or two of the ads you examined. What visual images are used with the TV or magazine ads? What background words (or, in the case of television, music and sound effects) are used?
- What is the emotional appeal of the ads? How has the advertiser created this appeal?
- Who do you think is the advertisements' main audience? Why?
- What product information do the ads provide about the drugs? What information is not given? Why do you think any missing information is left out?
- In what ways do the ads make the drug's purpose clear? In what ways do they obscure the purpose of the drug?