tehranbureau An independent source of news on Iran and the Iranian diaspora
nextback

A Snub?

03 Aug 2009 21:4910 Comments

ALeqM5gCH5mAHzBn6K29fF3eYVQDgIVZkw

Iran's president gets cooler reception from top

[AP] Iran's supreme leader bestowed his formal endorsement on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's second term as president on Monday but withheld a powerful symbolic gesture -- the kisses and close embrace that portrayed their bond four years ago.

The awkward and halting moment came when Ahmadinejad leaned forward, apparently to kiss the hand of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. But the supreme leader raised his left hand and gently diverted Ahmadinejad to kiss his robe. The uneasy body language reflected much of the political tension and collateral damage since the disputed June 12 election sent Iran into its worst internal unrest since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Read

Photo: These combination of five sequential video frame grabs taken from Iranian state television show Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, right in the frames, greeting Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei at an official endorsement ceremony in Tehran, Iran, Monday Aug. 3, 2009. Khamenei formally endorsed Ahmadinejad for a second term as president Monday in a ceremony that sought to portray unity among the country's leadership but was snubbed by prominent critics of the disputed election. After Khamenei gave his official seal of approval, he allowed Ahmadinejad to kiss his robe on his shoulder -- a noticeably more restrained gesture than four years ago when Ahmadinejad kissed the leader's hand and cheeks in a sign of closeness and loyalty. (AP Photo/Iranian TV via APTN)

090803151757_khamenei529

Top photo: Ahmadinejad's second term. Bottom: His first term. Source: BBC Persian

SHAREtwitterfacebookSTUMBLEUPONbalatarin reddit digg del.icio.us

i saw that too and was wondering if it was a snub. thanks for the report.

kevin / August 3, 2009 8:15 PM

My question is: Who snubbed whom?

I watched the video clip several times and still can not decide as to who was dissed...

Ara G / August 3, 2009 10:09 PM

I read somewhere that Ahmadinejad was suffering from colds (one of his close aide said) which I think was a lame excuse. But this cold treatment shown by Khamenei was only temporal I personally believe. Aren't they the ones running this current drama?

shetty / August 4, 2009 4:20 AM

Who cares! They are both murderers.......the media instead should focus on the plight of all those young Iranians who are fighting these assholes and putting their lives on the line. A snub?!! You gotta be kidding me!

Why doesnt the media ask about the whereabouts of Moussavi? If he is indeed a leader of a movement, why doesnt he step out of his car and move around a bit, while having thousands of people shouting his name in support, before a well armed police? They are risking their lives and all he does is waves? Who the fuck is he, the Queen of England?

Do you think Martin Luther King stopped his march when there were being stopped by the National Guard? Did Ghandi stop when he was told to do so by the British? Nelson Mandela, Che, or any of the other true Revolutionaries.

My heart goes out to all those Iranians, especially the young, who had nothing to do with the stupidity of their elders in accepting a Supreme Leader as their guide in life.

People get a life and report and comment on real actors here....not a dying breed of thugs.

Ally Bolour / August 4, 2009 12:04 PM

Sorry, Tehran Bureau, please, this one.

This is the spoken conversation as to what really happened in my view. Ahmadinejad starts off by asking Khamenei

Ahmadinejad. Can I kiss you on the cheek?

Khamenei says No!

Ahmadinejad. Not even a peck?

Khamenei repeats No!

Ahmadinejad. Not even a little?

Khamenei again repeats No!

Ahmadinejad. Oh...you're such an old "Critical".

Khamenei retorts No I'm not!

Ahmadinejad again presses. Yes, you are.

Khamenei flustered shouts!!! No...I'm not!

Ahmadinejad gives a little smile & a wink then continues...Yes you are...but I'll give you another chance. Can I kiss you on the cheek?

Khomeini now flustered & annoyed shouts... No! No! No!

But Ahmadinejad come back with a sidewinder body move that knocks his opponent sideward's. Okay can we dance instead?

Khamenei. Looks a little happier & hurriedly says "Yes" But on one condition? Here "I'll whisper it in your ear".

Ahmadinejad then makes him wait a long short moment for his "Answer".

Then with a big broad grin the size of Iran, says

Oh, all right then...I'll do it; I'll be your fraudulent "President"!

v.gerrard / August 4, 2009 12:25 PM

"Nelson Mandela, Che, or any of the other true Revolutionaries."

Please do not group Che Guevara in with good people like Mandela or Martin Luther King. He was the very opposite of such peace-loving men.

Don Cox / August 5, 2009 7:33 AM

Ally Bolour

You are very vulgar therefore you must be an American. Moussavi in my mind is a traitor or he is sick and suffering from a mental illness. If the latter were true then I would forgive him.

Even your american president and american government has now recognized Ahmadinejad as the true leader of Iran. It is time to get over the pettiness of this election dispute. It is time to move forward and get back to work on those projects that will make Iran a world power and a world leader.

Radical Guy / August 5, 2009 12:02 PM

He's got a tissue in his left hand from the beginning till the end and u can read on his lips that he said "sarma khordam..." meaning he's got a cold.

After he embraces Khamenei's shoulder, he goes back at his place and uses his tissue o empty his nose !

Open your eyes dudes !

persian / August 5, 2009 12:34 PM

Radical Guy - If you are not even going to use your real name to make a comment, you are a coward and nothing you say will have any weight. So just go away!

And Don, I understand your point. By putting Che in the category of other revolutionaries, I did not mean to pass judgement on his idealogy or beliefs. In fact, I personally don't subscribe to his agenda.

But, no matter what you think of Che, you can't dispute the fact that he led a movement, which was successful. I would even put Khomeini in the same group - he quite unfortunately led a successful Islamic revolution, which has resulted in countless deaths and major destruction all over the world.

All I'm saying is that Moussavi, is no such leader. I was even going to give him the benefit of the doubt, but since June 12th, I have been hugely dissapointed by his inaction.

Ally Bolour / August 5, 2009 1:12 PM

Ally Bolour,

Am I not the only one who does not use his real namee on this board? And have you not singled me out for scorn and ridicule because you do not agree with me?

Is this a fair comparison? Your hate of me preceeds you and will consume you.

But I would still like to call you friend.

Radical Guy / August 6, 2009 12:27 PM