21 Aug 2009 15:35
Bullet-ridden Reza Anbouhi
Blog Watch | Date August 21, 2009
Reza Anbouhi was shot point blank in the head with a BB gun intended to be fired from a 50-meter distance to disperse protesters.
When Reza's father attempted to take him to hospital, he was stopped and his car was trashed by law enforcement officers.
Reza has lost vision in one eye and has only 10 percent use of his other eye. The infection may cause him to completely lose his sight. Half of his body has been paralyzed. He is unable to eat or drink and is fed through a tube.
In response to the fake Taraneh Mousavi's brother-in-law, Mehdi Karroubi said, "I visited a family of Sadats [decedents of the prophet of Islam]. Their son is in sickbed. They have made a hole in his stomach and feed him through a tube, one of his eyes has been removed and his other eye is losing its sight. This young man has a skull full of round metal balls [the ones used in BB guns], has undergone surgery several times and still needs further surgery. When this family was recounting its sufferings, I felt ashamed that these incidents have happened under the banner of the Islamic Republic."
Iranian boy who defied Tehran hardliners tells of prison rape ordeal
The Times (UK) | August 22, 2009
Reza's ordeal began in mid-July when he was arrested with about 40 other teenagers during an opposition demonstration in a large provincial city. Most were too young even to have voted. They were taken to what he believes was a Basiji militia base where they were blindfolded, stripped to their underwear, whipped with cables and then locked in a steel shipping container. That first night Reza was singled out by three men in plain clothes who had masqueraded as prisoners. As the other boys watched, they pushed him to the ground. One held his head down, another sat on his back and the third urinated on him before raping him.
"They were telling us they were doing this for God, and who did we think we were that we could demonstrate," Reza said. The men told the other boys they would receive the same treatment if they did not co-operate when interrogated the next day.
Reza was then taken outside, tied to a metal pole and left there all night. The next morning one of the men returned. He asked whether Reza had learnt his lesson. "I was angry. I spat in his face and began cursing him. He elbowed me in the face a couple of times and slapped me." Twenty minutes later, he says, the man returned with a bag full of excrement, shoved it in Reza's face and threatened to make him eat it.
Reza was later taken to an interrogation room where he told his questioner he had been raped. "I made a mistake. He sounded kind, but my eyes were blindfolded. He said he would go look into it and I was hopeful," Reza said.
Instead, the interrogator ordered Reza to be tied up and raped him again, saying: "This time I'll do it, so you'll learn not to tell these tales anywhere else. You deserve what's coming to you. You guys should be raped until you die." Read
Dozens of protesters secretly buried in Behesht-e Zahra
RaheSabz.net | August 21, 2009
The bodies of dozens of those killed in the post-vote protests on July 12 and 15 have been secretly buried in section 302 of the Behesht-e Zahara cemetery.
This is while the families of many of the missing protesters are still looking for their loved ones. Security and judiciary officials refuse to reveal any information about the fate of the missing protesters.
One of the employees of the cemetery told Nourouz website that "the bodies of several 'John and Jane Does' were brought to the cemetery on July 12 and 15 under extreme security measures and they were buried in section 302 after burial permits were forcibly issued."
According to the Nourouz website, on July 12 at least 28 burial permits were issued for section 302 and on July 15, some 16 permits were issued for the same section.
Other reports had earlier said that the frozen bodies of some protesters were handed to their families.
Bodies will not freeze when kept in hospital mortuaries; industrial freezers, however, are a different matter.
Behesht-e Zahara authorities have refrained from commenting on the issue.
Nourouz claims to have obtained the registration numbers of the burial permits issued for section 302 on July 12 and 15. The website says it will make the information public if necessary.
Qom Prayer Leader: Imposing more penalties won't save the Islamic Republic
Aftab News | August 21, 2009
Qom Friday Prayers Leader Ayatollah Ahmad Amini says stubbornness and imposing penalties will not save the Islamic establishment of Iran.
"You are not one another's enemy. You are all in favor of the establishment, Islam and the rule of the Just Jurisprudent. Why don't you, instead of talking to the enemy, talk to one another and find a solution to this disunity," queried the cleric, adding that the enemy was benefiting from the internal strife.
"I am not talking about one party or the other... You, as the elite, must sit down and talk. If injustice has really been done to people, deal with it. If an innocent has been incarcerated, release him. And if someone has been shamed [publicly], apologize to him, and properly deal with those who are really guilty."
"How must I advise you to set aside disunity for it to register? We are not enemies and our solidarity is possible. Resolve this issue through dialogue and stop giving the enemy something to talk about."
He went on to advise against 'dragging the conflict to the seminary' as it would be betraying both the establishment and the seminary.
"If you want to mend the situation as caring individuals, end the conflict and prevent it from expanding."
Defense Nominee Wanted by Interpol
Tehran Bureau | August 21, 2009
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's candidate for defense minister, Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi, was a commander of the Quds Force, a secretive unit within the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC), which is estimated to be about 3000 strong, made of elite troops.
In Novemver 2007, Interpol, the international police organization, issued an arrest warrant for him, as well as for Mohsen Rezaee, former top commander of the IRGC and a presidential candidate in the June 12 election, and Ali Fallahian.
Interpol accused them of being involved in a huge explosion in a Jewish Center in Buenor Aires, Argentina, that killed 85 people and injured 200.
At that time Vahidi was working in Iran's embassy in Argentinia, Rezaee was the IRGC commander, and Fallahian was the Minister of Intelligence.
Since the case has never gone to trial though, it is not clear whether the allegations are actually true. In the past Argentina had absolved Iran of having any role in the explosion.
Tehran Justice Department in charge of Kahrizak
Aftab News | August 19, 2009
Rasoul Jalali, head of the Kahrizak township justice office, said the notorious Kahrizak Detention center was not under his supervision.
"This Detention center [Kahrizak] was not under our supervision, as detention centers must be under the supervision of the Prisons Organization... it was under the supervision of the Tehran Justice department because its detainees did not belong to the Kahrizak Justice office," said Rasouli.
"This detention center was opened to house thugs and ruffians and we were not aware of its issues. We were slated to visit it but it was closed [before we had a chance]."
Jalali went on to say that as the Kahrizak Justice office had not sent any of the detainees to the center, he was therefore unaware of the interrogation techniques used there. "The interrogation methods used and the subsequent issues had nothing to do with us," he said.
"We do not have any temporary detention centers in Kahrizak and if there is a temporary arrest warrant [issued], the suspect is sent to Evin or Karaj prison."
"Everyone knows that Mr. Lankarani is one of the greatest administrators in the country. He's been very successful, he's been very hard working. I have personal admiration for him. He is a pure man, and very likable. I said somewhere that he's like a peach, you just want to eat this young, religious man."
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad describes Kamran Baqeri-Lankarani, the husband of one of his proposed ministers. Source: Iranian State TV
Prosecutor's office rejects Kayhan ordered closed
Tabnak | August 21, 2009
The Tehran Prosecutor's office has rejected reports that the Media Court has ordered the closure of the hardline Kayhan daily after its editor failed to appear in court twice.
Mir Hossein Mousavi's aide, Ali-Reza Beheshti, has filed a lawsuit against Hossein Shariatmadari after Kayhan published an interview suggesting that Mousavi and his supporters had silenced lawmaker Seyyed Hassan Ayat before he could make public his report on the former prime minister.
Shariatmadari was summoned to court twice but failed to appear in court both times, prompting Judge Mansouri to order the closure of the daily.
The reports yesterday claimed that the case had been sent to Tehran Prosecutor Saeed Mortazavi for his approval.
Seyyed Abulhossein Pourhosseini, of the Tehran Prosecutor's public relations office, rejected this. "No such order has been issued," Pourhosseini said.