Grades 7 & 8
- How important is a set design?
- Can the same set be used for every play?
- The Shaw Festival: Behind the Curtain
- Drawing Paper
- Rulers (or Architect’s Scales if available)
- Foam Board, Cardboard, Balsa Wood or other building materials
Choose a production from a Shaw Festival season (143.6 KB). Read a synopsis of the play. Research the play further if needed. Write a few paragraphs about what the setting of this play is. Choose a scene to design a set for. First complete a scale drawing of the set and then build a model.
- Stage Design: Using Visual Elements to Provide Information to an Audience from The Kax Herberrger Center for Children and the Arts
- The Incredible Scale Model Set Design Lesson Plan from Pioneer Drama Service
- Theater: Scene Shop from PBS Learning Media
- The role of a set designer from ANNIE: It's the Hard-Knock Life, From Script to Stage