Northeast Theater Continued (Part Four)
Carleton Martello Tower
454 Whipple Street
Saint John, New Brunswick E2M 2R3(506) 529-4270 (June to August)(506) 529-4011 (September to May)
At Saint John, New Brunswick, the British built a Martello tower to help defend this strategic port city. The tower stood on a hill where it commanded a 360-degree view of the harbor, town, and surrounding countryside. The war was already over by the time the tower was completed, but as things turned out, it was never needed. New Brunswick was in a relatively quiet sector, and the Americans never threatened the town. A familiar and much-loved Saint John landmark, the Carleton Martello Tower has been designated a national historic site. The tower is located just south of Highway 1 in West Saint John. Open to the public during warm-weather months, it offers a grand view of the city and the Bay of Fundy.
View War of 1812-Northeast Theater in a larger map
Halifax Citadel National Historic Site
1960 Brunswick Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2G7(902) 426-5080
Most of the defensive structures that stood here during the War of 1812 have been substantially altered and look nothing like they did then. Fort George, known today as the Halifax Citadel, was greatly expanded during the 1860s and its walls given the star-shaped battlements typical of nineteenth-century forts. Located within easy walking distance of the Halifax waterfront, the fort is now part of the Halifax Citadel National Historic Site. During warm-weather months, uniformed re-enactors give visitors a sense of what life was like for soldiers stationed here in earlier times. Other important fortifications can be seen on St. George’s Island, a sizeable glacial drumlin located out in the harbor. The historical structures on the island are maintained by Parks Canada. They can be seen from shore, but are not currently open to the public.
Prince of Wales Martello Tower
5718 Point Pleasant Drive
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 5M7(902) 426-5080
The oldest surviving Martello Tower in North America once guarded Halifax from Point Pleasant. Placed to protect the system of batteries that were the heart of the Halifax defense, the 26-foot high tower had as many as eight 24-pound guns and a few smaller ones. However, no shots were ever fired from the tower in the city’s defense. The park is at 5718 Point Pleasant Drive and is reachable by way of the 9 Barrington and 9 Mumford bus routes.
York Redoubt National Historic Site
5 York Redoubt Crescent
Fergusons Cove, Nova Scotia B3K 5M7(902) 426-5080
Located several miles south of Halifax, the York Redoubt National Historic Site preserves a key gun emplacement intended to defend Halifax against attack from the sea. Built in the 1790s, the fort never fired its guns in anger. Only a small section of the original fort remains. Maintained by Parks Canada, it is located off Purcell’s Cove Road.