Northwest Theater Continued (Part Two)
360 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Situated along the Chicago River in what is now downtown Chicago, Fort Dearborn was intended to protect local settlers from attacks by Indians. Many Midwestern tribes sided with the British, and feeling the fort was too vulnerable, General William Hull ordered his troops to evacuate the fort. Having abandoned the relative safety of the fort, the garrison and a large number of accompanying settlers were ambushed on August 15, 1812 by a sizeable war party. More than 80 were killed in what came to be known as the Fort Dearborn Massacre. Another 60 or so were taken prisoner and later sold to the British, who then released them. The original site of Fort Dearborn is now partially submerged beneath the waters of the Chicago River. Bronze markers on the sidewalk near the corner of Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive show the outline of some of the fortress walls. The Battle of Fort Dearborn Park at 18th Street and Calumet Avenue marks the site of the massacre.
Original Site of Fort
The Battle of Fort Dearborn Park
The westernmost U.S. military outpost prior to the war, Fort Defiance was used by William Henry Harrison as a base for attacks on the British in the Northwest. Located at the confluence of the Auglaize and Maumee Rivers at the junction of Fort and Washington Streets in Defiance, Ohio, Old Defiance Memorial Park marks the site of the fortress.
201 West Fort Street
Detroit, Michigan 48226
(800) 338-7648 (Detroit Visitor Center)
Ceded by the British to the United States in 1796 under the terms of the Jay Treaty, Fort Detroit was used as a base of operations by General William Hull for his abortive invasion of Upper Canada in 1812. Soon afterwards, British General Isaac Brock besieged the American army at Fort Detroit and through a combination of force and deception convinced Hull to surrender. The fort was retaken by U.S. forces in 1813 and held for the remainder of the war. A historic plaque commemorates the original site at the corner of Shelby and West Fort Streets not far from the Detroit Visitor Center.
93 Jury Drive
Penetanguishene, Ontario L9M
Penetanguishene Bay had been scouted as a potential deep-water naval base before the War of 1812, and plans for its construction were accelerated with the advent of hostilities and the loss of the Amherstburg Navy Yard. But by the time construction had started the war had ended. Known nowadays as Discovery Harbour, the old military base serves as a park and historic site. It features several of the original buildings and replicas of the war-era British warships HMS Bee and HMS Tecumseh. Discovery Harbour Park is located at 93 Jury Drive in Penetanguishene, Ontario.