Northwest Theater Continued (Part Three)
Erie Maritime Museum and the Brig Niagara
360 North Michigan Avenue
Erie, Pennsylvania 16507
During the Battle of Lake Erie, Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry transferred his flag to the Niagara after his first flagship, the Lawrence, was blasted to splinters by the British. From the deck of the Niagara, Perry orchestrated a renewed attack and forced the entire British fleet to surrender. A reconstructed Niagara is docked next to the fascinating Erie Maritime Museum Maritime Museum on E Front Street between State and Holland Streets, just off the East Bayfront Parkway.
Hull’s Trail (Corduroy Segment)
36000 W Jefferson Avenue
Brownstone, Michigan 48173
In 1812, General William Hull needed to get reinforcements to his fortifications along the Michigan-Canada border. So he went to Ohio to gather more volunteers and on his way back to Michigan built a trail intended to link his troops in Detroit with their supply bases in Dayton, Ohio. Known as Hull’s Trail, Hull’s Trace, or Hull’s Road, the path was cut from Dayton to Urbana, Ohio, then north to Detroit. Among the only remaining sections of the road that can still be seen is the so-called Corduroy Segment near Brownstone, Michigan.
Hull’s Trail (Fort McArthur Marker at Hardin County Courthouse)
90 North Detroit Street
Kenton, Ohio 43326
In 1812, General William Hull ordered his men to build a trail for moving troops and supplies into the Northwest frontier. Known today as Hull’s Trail, Hull’s Trace, or Hull’s Road, this crude wilderness cut extended from Dayton, through Urbana, Ohio and onward to Detroit. Several historical markers can be found along the trail. One of these is located on the grounds of the Hardin County Courthouse on North Detroit Street in Kenton, Ohio. It describes Fort McArthur, a key fortification built by Hull to protect the trail.
Main (Huron) Street
Mackinac Island, Michigan 49757(906) 847-6330
I Located on the southern tip of Mackinac Island near the entrance to the strategic Straits of Mackinac, Fort Mackinac was originally known as Michilimackinac. Established by the British as a trading post, it was handed over to the Americans under the terms of Jay’s Treaty in 1796. During the early weeks of the War of 1812, the British attacked and seized the island fortress where the American garrison remained totally unaware that war had been declared. On a hill north of the fort, British troops positioned cannon and demanded that the Americans surrender. The U.S. troops had no choice but surrender, and the fort remained in British hands for the rest of the war. An American attack on the island in 1814 failed to capture the fort.Mackinac Island with its historic fort, delightful hotels, good food, and horse drawn transportation is one of North America’s most remarkable travel destinations. The views alone are very much worth the trouble of getting there. The island is linked to the mainland by ferries which depart from Mackinaw City and St. Ignace several times each day during warm weather months.
General Macomb Statue
Washington Boulevard at Michigan Avenue
Detroit, Michigan 48226
(800) 338-7648 (Detroit Visitor Center)
Born in Detroit Alexander Macomb earned praise for his bravery and combat skills in the 1814 Battle of Plattsburgh, and in 1826 became commanding general of the U.S. Army. The citizens of Michigan named a county in his honor. The statue of Macomb is located on a grassy traffic island in the middle of Washington Boulevard at the corner of Michigan Avenue in downtown Detroit.