St. Lawrence/Champlain Theater Continued (Part Two)
Coteau-du-Lac National Historic Site
308 A Chemin du Fleuve
Coteau-du-Lac, Quebec JOP 1BO(450) 763-5631
Coteau-du-Lac, located on the St. Lawrence River between Montreal and Lake Ontario, was vital to the development of Canada. A lock-system and canal were built to facilitate the movement of goods to and from the western parts of the colony in the non-winter months, but in winter, portage was necessary. To protect the vital portage during the War of 1812 a military post was established here. It included a blockhouse designed in such a way that sentries could kept close watch on the river and canal and protect them with a quick-loading cannon. The mere existence of this outpost deterred the Americans from attempting a direct river attack on Montreal. Coteau-du-Lac is located about 40 km (25 miles) southwest of Montreal and 20 km (12 miles) from the Ontario border via the Jean-Lesage Highway.
Crysler’s Farm Battlefield
13740 County Road 2
Morrisburg, Ontario K0C 1X0(800) 437-2233 (Upper Canadian Village)
Believed by many to have saved Canada from possible domination by the United States, the Battle of Crysler’s Farm took place in November 1813 and was part of a poorly led American campaign aimed at capturing Montreal. Here along the banks of the St. Lawrence the outnumbered troops of Colonel Joseph Morrison stood firm in the face of repeated American assaults. Having lost the battle, the American army led by General James Wilkinson abandoned the invasion and retreated to U.S. soil. Not long afterwards Wilkinson was drummed out of the army. The battlefield where Colonel Morrison’s outnumbered regulars and militia turned back an American invasion has been all but destroyed by time and progress. When the St. Lawrence Seaway was constructed during the 1950s, much of the battlefield was cut away to make a channel for large, seagoing ships. Soil from the battlefield was piled into a large mound not far from the original site of the fighting. Flanked by a pair of 24-pound cannon, an impressive pyramidal granite monument commemorating the British and Canadian victory stands atop the mound. Nearby is the Battle Memorial Building, which houses battlefield artifacts and a mural depicting the encounter. The mounds and memorial building are located near an extensive living history museum known as the Upper Canada Village. It is located on Highway 2 a few miles east of Morrisburg.
167 Webster Street
Malone, New York 12953(518) 483-2750 (Franklin County Historical and Museum Society)
Having practiced law with Alexander Hamilton in New York City, Richard Harison purchased two lots of land along the St. Lawrence River in Franklin County, New York. His home, known today as the Harison House, was used by General Wilkinson as a headquarters during the War of 1812. The Harison House is located at 167 Webster Street in Malone, across from the cemetery, and is marked by a New York State historical plaque.
17 Cumberland Avenue
Plattsburgh, New York 12901(518) 561-1035
The Kent-Delord House located across the Saranac River from American defenses at Plattsburgh was occupied by British officers during General George Prevost’s siege of Plattsburgh in 1814. The home was owned at that time by Henry Delard who sold various goods to the U.S. Army. The house, located opposite Champlain Park at 17 Cumberland Avenue, a northern extension of City Hall Place, is open to the public.