In this lesson, students will address two of the more
pressing issues confronting continental Africa — the related
concerns of growing desertification and the scarcity of clean
water. Students will examine these issues within the context
of Africa’s development and the environmental, economic, and
personal impact it has upon its citizens. More specifically,
students will explore a variety of Internet resources, learn
about Africa’s geography and natural resources, read and
respond to African art and literature, and write and produce
a documentary-style news broadcast report.
1. Students will conduct Internet research about Africa.
2. Students will read and respond to literature about
3. Students will become familiar with the geography and
climate of varied regions of Africa.
4. Students will compose a news script highlighting what
they have learned about issues of desertification and water.
5. Students will create a class presentation.
6. Students will engage in reading and writing activities.
7. Students will analyze a variety of issues surrounding
desertification and water use in Africa and their impact on
the environment and economy.
8. Students will create projects reflecting their
understanding of geographic, climatic, and economic issues.