In this lesson, students will gain an overview of the art and
music that represent the diverse regions of Africa. They will
read picture books, listen to folktales, and research the
history of Kente cloth. They will have opportunities to
create original art, learn about and make African crafts,
listen to selections of African music, and explore numerous
Web sites that depict images of many different kinds of art
forms. They will also create and act out a dramatic
presentation based on what they have learned about Africa.
1. Students will conduct Internet research focusing on
various geographical areas of Africa and diverse images of
its people and landforms.
2. Students will engage in reading and writing activities
to gain knowledge of Africa.
3. Students will create original art based on what they
have the learned about African culture.
4. Students will be exposed to a variety of African
5. Students will read and act a folktale. Students will
write a script, cast actors and actresses, build a set,
create costumes, and act out a presentation based on a chosen
6. Students will study African carvings and masks, and
create an art project based on their research.
7. Students will study the origin of Kente cloth and create a
project using what they have learned.
8. Students will conduct Internet research.
Continue to get started