01.08.2019

January 8, 2019

Christiane Amanpour speaks with Lawrence Summers about President Trump’s proposed all and the government shutdown; and Katharine Hayhoe about the numerical facts of climate change. Hari Sreenivasan continues his conversation with actor and musician Lenny Kravitz.

Read Full Transcript EXPAND

> HELLO, EVERYONE, AND WELCOME TO 'AMANPOUR & COMPANY.'

HERE IS WHAT'S COMING UP.

PRESIDENT TRUMP TALKS TO THE NATION ABOUT HIS WALL AND HIS GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN.

WE EXAMINE THE FALLOUT AND THE THREAT TO THE GLOBAL ECONOMY.

FORMER TREASURY SECRETARY LARRY SUMMERS JOINS ME.

WE HEAR FROM THE CLIMATE SCIENTIST AND COMMITTED CHRISTIAN KATHARINE HAYHOE.

PLUS THE SECOND PART OF OUR INTERVIEW WITH ROCK STAR LENNY KRAVITZ.

AFTER TOURING FOR THREE DECADES, HE'S ABOUT TO GET BUSIER THAN EVER, AND THAT'S MUSIC TO HIS FANS EARS.

> WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM, EVERYONE.

I'M CHRISTIAN AMANPOUR.

ILLEGAL BORDER CROSSINGS HAVE BEEN FALLING DRAMATICALLY OVER MORE THAN A DECADE.

IT COMES AS A PARTIAL SHUTDOWN OF THE GOVERNMENT CONTINUES TO IMPACT HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF AMERICANS AND DISRUPT IMPORTANT CORNERS OF THE ENTIRE NATION LIKE, FOR INSTANCE, THE VERY TSA SECURITY SYSTEM THE PRESIDENT SURELY WANTS IN PLACE AT ENTRY POINTS.ILE BEIJING, TALKS BETWEE UNITED STATES AND CHINA, OVER THE BITTER TRADE DISPUTE SET TO ENTER AN UNSCHEDULED THIRD DAY.

THE STAKES ARE IMMENSE FOR BOTH COUNTRIES AND ALSO FOR HELP OF THE GLOBAL ECONOMY.

THESE ARE THE FIRST FACE-TO-FACE DISCUSSIONS THE TWO SIDES HAVE HELD SINCE PRESIDENT TRUMP AND XI AGREED TO A 90-DAY TRUCE IN ARGENTINA.

HERE TO DISCUSS THIS, LARRY SUMMERS, FORMER SECRETARY IN THE CLINTON ADMINISTRATION AND DIRECTOR OF ECONOMIC COUNCIL UNDER PRESIDENT OBAMA.

MR. SECRETARY, WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM.

GOOD TO BE WITH YOU.

THE WHOLE LEADUP, GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN.

THE BIG, BIG STORY IS THE ECONOMY.

WHAT HAVE NEGOTIATORS BEEN DOING UNTIL NOW?

THEY HAVE BEEN CLEARING AWAY UNDERBRUSH IN THE ORGANIZATION.

I'M SURE THEY HAVE RESOLVED SOME ISSUES.

I'D BE VERY SURPRISED IF THEY RESOLVED ALL THE ISSUES.

IT'S GOT TO BE BETTER PEOPLE ARE TALKING.

IT'S BETTER PEOPLE THINK IT'S WORTHWHILE TO CONTINUE THE NEGOTIATIONS.INK PROSPECTS ARE T NOT CERTAIN THAT SOME KIND OF AGREEMENT WILL BE REACHED BEFORE THE MARCH 1st DEADLINE.

BUT LET'S NOT BE CONFUSED.

THE REAL ISSUES, THE QUESTION OF WHETHER THE UNITED STATES AND CHINA, TWO COUNTRIES WITH VAST ECONOMIC POWER, VAST POLITICAL POWER WITH HAPPILY CO-EXIST IN THE WORLD.

THAT'S A QUESTION THAT'S GOING TO BE DEFINING INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS FOR DECADES TO COME.

EVEN IF WE RESOLVE THIS TRADE DISPUTE, THERE'S A GREAT DEAL THAT'S AHEAD OF US.

ONE HAS TO SAY THAT THE DEGREE OF TRUCULANCE THAT HAS BEEN OBSERVED ON THE AMERICAN SIDE IS TROUBLING.

WE'VE SEEN WITH THE WAR AND FACTS AND COUNTER FACTS, WHAT THE ADMINISTRATION IS SAYING ABOUT THE WALL ARE NOT BORN OUT BY THE FACTS.

WHAT THE PRESIDENT SAID AT THE BEGINNING OF THE ADMINISTRATION, TRADE WARS ARE GOOD, EASILY WINNABLE, THAT WE WILL WIN, SEEMS TO HAVE SORT OF BOXED HIM IN.

HERE IS WHAT HE SAID ON FRIDAY JUST AS THIS ROUND OF TRADE NEGOTIATIONS IS GOING TO GET UNDER WAY.

CHINA IS NOT DOING WELL NOW, AND IT PUTS US IN A VERY STRONG POSITION. ARE DOING WELL.

WE'RE TAKING IN BILLIONS AND BILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

I HOPE WE'RE GOING TO MAKE A DEAL WITH CHINA.

IF WE DON'T, THEY ARE PAYING OF TENS OF BILLIONS WORTH OF TARIFFS.NOT THE WORST THING IN E WORLD.

SO THERE'S A LOT TO UNPICK THERE.

THIS WHOLE ISSUE, HE SAYS CHINA IS DOING BADLY.

I THINK HE IMPLIES WORSE THAN THE UNITED STATES IN THE TRADE WAR.

THAT GIVES HIM A VERY STRONG BARGAINING POSITION, A STRONG NEGOTIATING HAND.

WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THAT?

WHAT HE SAID WAS MOSTLY A MELANGE OF CONFUSION.

TO START WITH, WE'RE TAKING IN BILLIONS OF DOLLARS FROM AMERICAN CONSUMERS AND AMERICAN WE'RE PAYING HIGHER PRICES BECAUSE OF OUR TARIFFS.

IT'S AMERICANS WHO ARE PAYINGOT.

SECOND, THE MAIN PROBLEMS THE CHINESE ECONOMY HAVE ARE THE PROBLEMS OF CHANGING A STATE ENTERPRISE ECONOMY INTO A MARKET ECONOMY AND THE SLOWING DOES NOT PRIMARILY HAVE TO DO WITH OUR TARIFFS.

THIRD, THE PRESIDENT VASTLY OVERSTATES THE COMFORT OF OUR OWN ECONOMIC POSITION.

IF YOU LOOK AT CONSENSUS ECONOMIC FORECAST, PEOPLE ARE NOW SAYING THERE'S A 40 OR 50% CHANCE OF RECESSION WITHIN THE NEXT TWO YEARS.

THAT IS THE RIGHT READING OF WHAT FINANCIAL MARKETS ARE SAYING.

SO OUR POSITION ISN'T SO STRONG.

THIS WHOLE IDEA THAT MAKE HOW TRADE WARS ARE GOOD THINGS IS REALLY A VERY SERIOUS MISS JUDGMENT THAT'S GOING TO DO A LOT OF DAMAGE IT MANY OF THE PEOPLE WHO THE PRESIDENT PROFESSES TO CARE MOST ABOUT.

YES, WE SHOULD BE ADDRESSING ISSUES AROUND CHINA HE'S TRADE PRACTICES.

YES, THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH CHINA TAKING OUR TECHNOLOGY FROM U.S. COMPANIES, BUT THE KIND OF ADMINISTRATION THAT DECLARES THAT CANADIAN STEEL IS A NATIONAL SECURITY ISSUE FOR US, THE KIND OF ADMINISTRATION THAT SUGGESTS THEY ARE PUTTING TARIFFS ON EUROPEAN AUTOMOBILES IS SOMEHOW A THING WE NEED TO DO FOR OUR NATIONAL SECURITY, THAT'S A KIND OF ADMINISTRATION THAT'S GOING TO HAVE MINIMAL CREDIBILITY IN PURSUING THE VALID AMERICAN OBJECTIVES WITH CHINA.

AND THE PRESIDENT NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND THAT HE HAS DONE WHAT OTHER PRESIDENTS HAVE NOT DONE.

HE HAS BRAGGED AND TREATED THE STOCK MARKET WHEN IT WAS GOING UP AS A REFLECTION OF THE GLORY OF HIS POLICIES.

THAT WASN'T RIGHT.

BUT LIVE BY THE SWORD, DIE BY THE SWORD.

IN A PERIOD WHEN WE APPEAR TO HAVE A MUCH MORE VOLATILE STOCK MARKET, THAT'S ALSO GOING TO BE SEEN AS A REFLECTION ON HIS POLICIES.

SO BEYOND THE PRESIDENT HIMSELF AND HIS POLICIES AND THE POLITICS OF ALL OF THIS, THERE IS A VERY, VERY SERIOUS ISSUE OF THE GLOBAL ECONOMIC HEALTH.

YOU ACTUALLY JUST MENTIONED THERE THE POSSIBILITY OF A RECESSION.U'VE JUST WRITTEN A PR THE 'FINANCIAL TIMES' IN WHICH YOU FLESHED THAT OUT.

WHAT SIGNS ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?

I THINK WHAT ONE HAS TO LOOK FOR IS SPENDING WILLINGNESS OF CONSUMERS, THE INVESTMENT WILLINGNESS OF BUSINESSES, AND THE SIGNALS THAT ARE COMING FROM MARKET PARTICIPANTS, JUDGMENTS IN FINANCIAL MARKETS TO ASSESS THE LIKELIHOOD OF A DOWNTURN.

WE'RE CERTAINLY NOT IN A DOWNTURN YET.

THE CHRISTMAS SEASON IN THE UNITED STATES WAS STRONG, AS BEST WE CAN TELL.

CERTAINLY HIRING WAS SUBSTANTIAL IN DECEMBER ACCORDING TO THE EMPLOYMENT SURVEY.

BUT IF YOU LOOK AT SOME OF THE MORE FORWARD-LOOKING INDICATORS, WHAT BUSINESSES ARE SAYING, IN FACT, IN TERMS OF ORDERS IN COMING MONTHS, WHAT CONSUMERS BUYING INTENTIONS ARE, WHAT'S HAPPENING TO THE PRICE OF PRODUCTS, WHAT'S HAPPENING TO THE PRICE OF COMMODITIES, THOSE ARE SENDING A MORE TROUBLED SIGNAL.

AND THAT COMBINED WITH VARIOUS SUBSTANTIAL UNCERTAINTY AROUND THE EUROPEAN ECONOMY AND VARIOUS PROBLEMS THAT SEEM TO BE ARISING IN THE CHINESE ECONOMY ALL CREATE A SENSE THAT CERTAINLY THE PEAK RATE OF EXPANSION GLOBALLY HAS PROBABLY PASSED AND WHENEVER YOU START TO SEE SLOWING, THE PROSPECT OR POSSIBILITY OF RECESSION IS SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO RECKON WITH.

LET'S NOT FORGET THE APPLE SHARES AND THE KIND SAW SOME SIGNIFICANT LOSSES.

IT'S NOT, AS YOU SAY, GROWTH SLOWDOWN AND MANUFACTURING SLOWTOWN IN THE UNITED STATES -- IN CHINA, RATHER.

AS WE WERE DISCUSSING, THESE TALKS ARE GOING INTO AN UNSCHEDULED THIRD DAY.

JUST AHEAD OF THAT, THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF INTERVIEWING AND SOUND BYTES AND COMMENTARY FROM AMERICANS, FROM FARMERS, BEING AFFECTED BY THIS.

I WANT TO PLAY YOU NOW TWO DIFFERING OPINIONS BY AMERICAN FARMERS ON THIS WHOLE TARIFF WAR ISSUE.

I WOULD TELL THEM THAT FARMING AND AGRICULTURE IS A GLOBAL BUSINESS, THAT WE CANNOT BE PROTECTIONISTS.

CHINA IMPORTS 60% LAST YEAR OF THE SOYBEANS WE GREW IN THE COUNTRY OF THAT'S A GOOD THING BECAUSE IT HELPS OUR BALANCE OF TRADE.

OUR BUYS THERE WANT TO BUY FROM US, BUT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BECAUSE OF WHAT'S GOING ON AT A HIGHER LEVEL.

I KNOW PEOPLE WHO PROBABLY WON'T BE HERE NEXT YEAR TO FARM, AND THAT HURTS EVERYBODY, BECAUSE THE AGRICULTURE INDUSTRY IS THE BASIS FOR OUR RURAL COMMUNITIES HERE.

IT SUPPORTS OUR ECONOMICS HERE.

THEY PUT THE TARIFFS WHERE THEY DID TO RETALIATE AGAINST TRUMP.

IT SUCKS THAT I'M LOSING MONEY BUT I'D AS SOON BE ME LOSING THE MONEY THAN THE WHOLE UNITED STATES FOR YEARS ON END.

I STILL SUPPORT HIM ON WHAT HE'S DOING BECAUSE IN THE END IT'S THE GREATER GOOD.

THE ONLY WAY FOR US TO GET THIS PROBLEM REALLY FIXED FOR THE NEXT GENERATION IS TO PLUNGE THROUGH IT NOW.

OKAY.

SO TWO DIFFERENT OPINIONS, TWO FARMERS, A SOYBEAN PARMER, PIG FARMER.ONE SUPPORTS THE TARIFF E SEES THE DEFINITE PROBLEMS WITH THEM.

WHAT IS THE WAY OUT OF THIS NOW?

THE CHINESE HAVE SAID, I DON'TKU SAID YOU LIKELY THINK THERE'S A SOLUTION.EIR STATE MEDIA SAID, F WE WERE GOING TO RAISE THE WHITE FLAG AND SURRENDER, WE WOULD HAVE DONE THIS MUCH EARLIER ON.

WE'RE NOT GOING TO.

NOT GOING TO SURRENDER, BUT THERE ARE CERTAINLY PRACTICES THAT CHINA SHOULD BE ADJUSTED.

THERE'S NO REASON WHY AMERICAN COMPANIES WHO WANT TO DO BUSINESS IN CHINA SHOULD HAVE TO ENTER INTO A JOINT VENTURE WITH CHINESE PARTNERS WHERE THEY GIVE OVER ALL THEIR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND THEN THEY GET KICKED OUT OF THE JOINT VENTURE A FEW YEARS LATER.

THAT'S A WRONG TRADE PRACTICE.

WE'RE RIGHT TO WANT TO SEE THAT CHANGE.

SO THERE ARE LEGITIMATE ISSUES THAT CHINA CAN COMPROMISE ON.

I THINK THEY HAVE SIGNALED A WILLINGNESS TO COMPROMISE.

WHAT THEY HAVE ALSO SIGNALED IS THEY ARE NOT GOING TO BUY INTO A THEORY WHERE UNITED STATES IS THE LEADING TECHNOLOGICAL COUNTRY FOR ALL OF HISTORY, AND THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TRY TO CATCH UP.

THEY ARE NOT GOING TO ACCEPT THAT.

NO SOVEREIGN COUNTRY WOULD ACCEPT THAT.

I THINK WE HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL IN THE UNITED STATES NOT TO PROJECT THE SENSE THAT OUR GOAL IS TO HOLD CHINA DOWN.

OUR LEGITIMATE GOAL IS REASONABLE FAIRNESS FOR AMERICAN PRODUCERS LIKE THE FAIRNESS THAT AMERICANS PROVIDE FARM PRODUCERS WHO WANT TO DO THINGS IN THE UNITED STATES.

I THINK IF WE CAN CONFINE OUR DEMANDS TO THAT, AND IF CHINA CAN APPROACH THIS IN THE SPIRIT OF COMPROMISE, I THINK WE CAN WORK THIS THROUGH.

BUT IF CHINA THINKS THAT THEY CAN JUST GO ON A BUYING SPREE THAT MANIPULATES THE TRADE DEFICIT STATISTIC, AND THAT THAT WILL RESOLVE THE PROBLEMS, I THINK THEY ARE MAKING A MISTAKE.

IF WE THINK WE CAN REASONABLY ASPIRE TO STOP CHINA, A COUNTRY THAT HAS STANDARDS OF LIVING LIKE THEY WERE IN OUR COUNTRY IN THE 1930s FROM GROWING RAPIDLY, THAT'S NOT A REASONABLE THING FOR US TO THINK.

SO WHAT WE HAVE TO DO IS FIND SOME KIND OF MIDDLE WAY.

SO LET'S GET BACK TO THE U.S.

ECONOMY AND HOW IT AFFECTS PEOPLE.

OF COURSE WITH THE NEW ELECTIONS, MIDTERMS, A WHOLE NEW WAVE OF CONGRESS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN ELECTED.

MANY DEMOCRATS, YOU CAN CALL THEM SOCIALIST DEMOCRATS.

THEY HAVE RAISED LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS ABOUT WHO THE HUMMING ECONOMY IS BENEFITING.

AMERICAN ECONOMY IS DOING WELL, MANUFACTURING IS GOOD.

YOU HAVE WRITTEN PROMINENTLY ABOUT A RECENT ROAD TRIP YOU TOOK ACROSS AMERICA AND YOU SAY IT SHAPED OR RESHAPED, PERHAPS, YOUR VIEW OF PEOPLE AND THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ECONOMY AND HOW IT'S WORKING FOR THEM.

GIVE US A BROAD SENSE OF WHAT YOU FOUND ON THAT TRIP.

FOR PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO SPENT THEIR LIFE ON THE EAST COAST WITH OCCASIONAL VISITS TO CALIFORNIA, AND WHO HASN'T SPENT MUCH TIME IN THE HEARTLAND OF OUR COUNTRY, IT WAS A VERY, VERY GOOD EXPERIENCE.

WHAT YOU REALIZED WAS THAT THERE WERE PEOPLE WHO WORKED VERY, VERY HARD, WHO FRANKLY DIDN'T HAVE THEIR EYES GLUED TO CNN OR 'THE NEW YORK TIMES' OR NEWS SHOWS BUT WERE CONCERNED WITH WHAT WAS HAPPENING IN THEIR COMMUNITIES, WHO WANTED THEIR CHILDREN TO GET TO HAVE EXPERIENCES THEY HADN'T BEEN ABLE TO HAVE AND TO LIVE BETTER THAN THEY HAD, AND WHO WERE WORRIED ABOUT THE FUTURE.

I THINK MORE OF OUR ECONOMIC POLICY NEEDS TO BE DIRECTED AT THOSE PEOPLE IN A HARDWORKING MIDDLE CLASS.

WE NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT OUR ECONOMY'S GROWTH ISN'T MOSTLY FOR TECHNOLOGISTS IN THE SAN FRANCISCO AREA AND FINANCIERS IN THE NEW YORK AREA AND SCHOLARS IN THE BOSTON AREA.

I KNEW THAT.

I SAID THAT MANY TIMES.

BUT I SAW IT IN A DIFFERENT -- IN A DIFFERENT WAY AS WE DROVE THROUGH IOWA AND SOUTH DAKOTA AND PARTS OF WYOMING AND IDAHO.

IT MUST HAVE BEEN, AS YOU DESCRIBED, VERY EYE-OPENING FOR YOU WHEN YOU QUITE HONESTLY SAY IT TOOK YOU OUT OF YOUR IVORY TOWER AND AS YOU'VE DESCRIBED, SHOWED YOU A DIFFERENT SIDE OF WHAT'S GOING ON.

MANY AS YOU SAY, GENERATION, NEW CLASS OF ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES ARE TAKING ON THIS ISSUE AND EVEN NOW DISCUSSING TAXES IN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY.

YOU REMEMBER THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY.

AND THE MOST PROMINENT OF THESE IS ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ FROM NEW YORK.

SHE SAID THIS WEEKEND ON '60 MINUTES' THE FOLLOWING ABOUT WHERE THE CORRECT TAX LEVELS SHOULD BE ON AMERICANS.

HERE IS WHAT SHE SAID.

YOU KNOW, YOU LOOK AT OUR TAX RATES BACK IN THE '60s.

WHEN YOU HAVE A PROGRESSIVE TAX RATE SYSTEM, YOUR TAX RATE, YOU KNOW, LET'S SAY FROM 0 TO $75,000 MAY HAVE BEEN 10% OR 15%, ET CETERA.

BUT ONCE YOU GET TO THE TIPPY TOP ON YOUR 10 MILLIONTH DOLLAR, SOMETIMES YOU SEE TAX RATES AS HIGH AS 60 OR 70%. THAT DOESN'T MEAN ALL $10 MILLION ARE TAXED AT AN EXTREMELY HIGH RATE.

BUT AS YOU CLIMB UP THIS LADDER, YOU SHOULD BE CONTRIBUTING MORE.

SHE SEEMS TO HAVE DONE A LOT OF HOMEWORK.

EVEN THOUGH REPUBLICANS CALL IT INSANE VOODOO ECONOMICS -- THAT'S MY WORD -- BUT WHAT DO YOU THINK?

WHERE DO YOU STAND ON THIS ISSUE NOW GOING FORWARD?

ESPECIALLY TO CORRECT THE INEQUALITY?

THE CONGRESSWOMAN IS RIGHT.

WE NEED MORE PROGRESSIVE TAXES IN THE UNITED STATES.

THE TOP 1% AND TO THE .1% AND TOP .001% SHOULD BE PAYING MORE THAN THEY ARE IN ORDER THAT THE AMERICANS I SAW ON MY TRIP CAN PAY LESS AND GET BETTER MEDICARE BENEFITS AND STRONGER SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS.

SHE'S QUITE RIGHT ABOUT THAT.

WHAT'S THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT?

I THINK ECONOMISTS HAVE MOSTLY COME TO THE VIEW THAT IT'S A BETTER IDEA TO CLOSE A WHOLE RANGE OF LOOPHOLES THAN IT IS TO JUST SET HIGH TAX RATES.

BECAUSE WHEN YOU HAVE HIGH TAX RATES AS WE DID IN THE 1960s, IT TURNS OUT PEOPLE TAKE ADVANTAGE MORE AND MORE OF THE LOOPHOLES AND YOU DON'T ACTUALLY COLLECT AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU'RE HOPING TO.

SO I THINK SHE'S RIGHT IN SPIRIT IN CALLING FOR MORE PROGRESSIVE TAXATION, BUT I THINK THERE'S ROOM FOR A VERY PRODUCTIVE CONVERSATION ABOUT WHAT THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT IS.

I'D RATHER SEE US GET THERE WITH MEASURES THAT STOP PEOPLE FROM AVOIDING TAXES BY PUTTING IT ABROAD OR BY PUTTING IT INTO REAL ESTATE TAX SHELTERS OR BY USING FINANCIAL ENGINEERING TO AVOID TAXES.

I THINK WE CAN RAISE VERY SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNTS OF REVENUE.

CERTAINLY A TRILLION DOLLARS OVER THE NEXT 10 YEARS, PROBABLY MORE, FROM THE VERY TOP OF THE INCOME AND WEALTH DISTRIBUTION.

THAT'S WHAT WE SHOULD DO IN ORDER TO FORTIFY WHAT GOVERNMENT DOES FOR MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE THE BEDROCK OF OUR COUNTRY.

IT'S REALLY A FASCINATING MOMENT TO SEE ALL OF THIS IN PLAY.

SECRETARY SUMMERS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR JOINING US TODAY.

> NOW, PRESIDENT TRUMP'S BORDER WALL HAS BEEN CONTROVERSIAL FROM THE BEGINNING WITH MANY CRITICS CONCERNED ABOUT THE NOW DEBUNKED FACTS AND FIGURES THE WHITE HOUSE PUT FORWARD TO SUPPORT ITS CONSTRUCTION.NCE CONCERN OVER DY WHEN IT COMES TO THE ENVIRONMENTAL FOSSIL FUELS VERSUS SUSTAINABLE AND CLEAN ENERGY.WE TALK ABOUT HOW TO CUTH THE FALSE HOODS IN JUST A MOMENT.

FIRST WE TALK TO COAL MINERS IN PENNSYLVANIA WHO JUST LIKE THE WALLERS WERE PROMISED THE WORLD BY THEN CANDIDATE TRUMP.

ACROSS AMERICA MORE COAL-FIRED SMOKE STACKS ARE SMOKE-FREE.

THE POWER PLANTS BENEATH THEM, COLD AND DARK.

THE MINES THAT ONCE FED THEM, ABANDONED.

BUT FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS, MINERS AND THEIR FAMILIES LET THEMSELVES BELIEVE THAT A COAL COMEBACK WAS ON THE WAY THANKS TO PROMISES LIKE THIS.

WE ARE PUTTING OUR GREAT COAL MINERS BACK TO WORK.

HE'S TRYING TO GET THEIR HE'S NOT TELLING THE TRUTH.

HE'S LYING TO THEM.

HE'S LYING TO THEM.

YOU USED TO WORK IN THIS MINE?

I WORKED IN THIS MINE.

ART WORKED IN AND CONSULTED ON MINES AROUND THE WORLD.

HE BRISTLES EVERY TIME HE HEARS THE PRESIDENT CLAIM TO BE THE SAVANNAH I DON'T REMEMBER OF COAL.

THAT REALLY DISTURBS ME, BECAUSE THESE ARE REALLY GOOD PEOPLE.

THESE ARE THE PEOPLE I'VE SPENT MY LIFE WORKING WITH.

IF THEY HAD THE TRUTH, THEY WILL MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION.

IF THE PRESIDENT WAS HONEST, HE WOULD EXPLAIN MINES LIKE THIS ARE NEVER, EVER COMING BACK TO LIFE AGAIN.

NOT BECAUSE OF REGULATION BUT COAL CANNOT COMPETE WITH CHEAPER, CLEANER NATURAL GAS, WIND, AND SOLAR.

THAT'S THE REASON MORE COAL-FIRED POWER PLANTS HAVE GONE OUT OF BUSINESS IN THE FIRST TWO YEARS OF DONALD TRUMP THAN THE FIRST FOUR YEARS OF BARACK OBAMA.

ANOTHER 20 ARE EXPECTED TO GO DOWN THIS YEAR.

IF A MINER IS HIRED TODAY, CHANCES ARE HE WILL BE DIGGING TO FILL THE DEMAND.

DO YOU THINK THE PRESIDENT GAVE THEM FALSE HOPES?

IN MY OPINION, ABSOLUTELY.

I'M AN EXPERT.

WHEN HE WAS CAMPAIGNING, I TALKED TO HIS PEOPLE AND I SAID, WHAT'S YOUR PLAN?

HOW ARE YOU BRINGING BACK COAL?

IT COULD BE BROUGHT BACK, IF THESE PLANTS WOULD COME BACK UP AND DEREGULATING THIS WOULD HELP.

IT'S NOT GOING TO HELP A LOT.

TRUMP'S EPA LED BY A COAL LOBBYIST IN ANDREW WHEELER RECENTLY SOUGHT TO LIFT OBAMA CAPS ON POISONOUS MERCURY AND HEAT TRACKING CARBON POWER PLANTS CAN TRACK INTO THE SKY, WHICH REALLY WORRIES CLIMATE SCIENTISTS LIKE PENN STATE'S MICHAEL MANN.

WE'RE EXPERIENCING EXACTS OF CLIMATE CHANGE WE COULD A HAVE AVOIDED PS IF WE HAD ACTED TWO DECADES AGO WHEN WE KNEW THERE WAS A PROBLEM PURCHASE IN ORDER TO SAVE LIFE AS WE KNOW IT, MANN SAYS COUNTRIES NEED TO BE THERE BY 2030.

COAL RESERVES NEED TO STAY IN THE GROUND.

I THINK THERE'S ENOUGH RESILIENCE IN THE SYSTEM THAT WE CAN WITHSTAND ONE TERM -- ONE FOUR-YEAR TERM OF DONALD TRUMP.

I'M NOT SURE WE CAN WITHSTAND TWO.

WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO UNITE PEOPLE ON CLIMATE CHANGE?

THE SCIENCE OF THESE IS SETTLED AND COMPREHENSIVE.

ON THIS SHOW WE WILL NOT GIVE MORAL OR FACTUAL EQUIVALENTS TO THE HANDFUL OF DENIERS OUT THERE.

WE WILL MAKE IT A PRIORITY TO HIGHLIGHT THE WAY FORWARD AND EXAMINE SOLUTIONS.

IT'S A CALL TO REASON, WHICH HAS LONG BEEN CHAMPIONED BY AWARD WINNING SIGN HIT KATHARINE HAYHOE.

SHE'S MARRIED TOOK A PASTOR.

SHE WAS ON LAST YEAR'S DAMNING CLIMATE ASSESSMENT.

SHE TOLD ME WHEN IT COMES TO CLIMATE, SHE PREFERS TOSS CRUNCH THE NUMBERS THAN RELY ON ANYONE'S INTERPRETATION OF FAITH OR POLITICAL IDEOLOGY.

KATHARINE HAYHOE, WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM.

THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

LET'S FIRST TAKE THE FACTS ABOUT CARBON EMISSION.

WE JUST SAW THAT REPORT BY BILL WEIR AND HE DEMONSTRATES COAL AROUND THE COUNTRY YET LATEST REPORTS SAY EMISSIONS ARE UP, UP SOMETHING LIKE 3.4% IN 2018.

EXPLAIN TO US WHY THAT'S HAPPENING?

THE CARBON INTENSITY OF ENERGY PRODUCTION IS ACTUALLY GOING DOWN, BUT THE NATURAL GAS SERVING AS A BRIDGE, SO TO SPEAK, BETWEEN COAL AND CLEAN ENERGY HAS PRETTY MUCH COME TO THE END OF ITS TERM.

WHILE WE CONTINUE TO USE MORE AND MORE ENERGY AND WHILE COAL PLANTS ARE CLOSING, A LOT OF THAT ENERGY IS COMING THROUGH NATURAL GAS EVEN THOUGH HERE IN THE STATE OF TEXAS WIND AND SOLAR IS GROWING RAPIDLY.

SO TALK TO US ABOUT TEXAS.

THE REST OF THE WORLD, THE REST OF THE COUNTRY SEES IT AS A BELLWETHER STATE.

THEY BELIEVE IT TO BE PRETTY MUCH CONSERVATIVE AND RELIABLY SORT OF CORPORATE, RELIABLY FOSSIL FUELS, SINCE A LOT OF FOSSIL FUEL ENERGY COMES FROM TEXAS.

WHAT ARE THE ACTUAL FACTS?

HOW IS TEXAS DOING ITS PART IN THE CLIMATE DEBATE?

TEXAS IS A VERY INTERESTING PLACE TO LIVE FOR A CLIMATE SCIENTIST. LIVE IN A VERY CONSEE PART OF THE STATE WHERE THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WOULD SAY THAT, YES, CLIMATE IS CHANGING, BUT THEY WOULD BE HESITANT TO ATTRIBUTE IT TO HUMANS.

TEXAS ALSO HAS THE HIGHEST CO2 EMISSIONS IN THE UNITED STATES.

IT'S KNOWN AS AN OIL PRODUCER BUT TEXAS LEADS THE U.S. IN WIND ENERGY PRODUCTION, AND IT'S RAPIDLY CLIMBING TO THE TOP IN SOLE LAR ENERGY PRODUCTION AS WELL.FROM MY OWN PERSPECTIVE, IY WHAT CLIMATE CHANGE MEANS TO PEOPLE IN THE PLACES WHERE WE LIVE.TEXAS IS ONE OF, IF NOT THT VULNERABLE STATES IN THE NATION TO THE IMPACTS OF A CHANGING CLIMATE.

DESCRIBE THAT TO ME.

OBVIOUSLY WE'VE SEEN THE HURRICANES.

WE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN HOUSTON.

TELL US A LITTLE BIT MORE.

I THINK THE INTERFACE BETWEEN CLIMATE AND PEOPLE, CLIMATE AND OUR COMMUNITY, CLIMATE AND OUR ACTUAL, YOU KNOW, NEIGHBORHOOD IS SOMETHING THAT HASN'T BEEN -- HASN'T GOT ACROSS WELL ENOUGH.

IT'S ALL SORT OF 30,000 FEET WORTH OF SCIENCE, AND ON THE OTHER HAND DENIERS.

TELL US WHAT IT'S SEEN AND HOW VULNERABLE IT IS.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU.

I FEEL THAT IS THE MISSING PIECE IN THE PUZZLE OF WHAT'S PREVENTING CLIMATE ACTION.

WE FEEL AS IF THE IMPACTS ONLY MATTER TO POLAR BEARS OR FUTURE GENERATIONS OR PEOPLE WHO LIVE FAR AWAY, WHERE AS AN ACTUAL FACT WE OURSELVES ARE BEING IMPACTED HERE AND NOW IN PLACES WHERE WE LIVE BY A CHANGING CLIMATE.

ONE OF THE MAIN WAYS WE ARE AFFECTED IS WHEN CLIMATE CHANGE LOADS THE DICE AGAINST US.

SO IT TAKES NATURALLY OCCURRING EVENTS LIKE HEAT WAVES, DROUGHTS, FLOODS, HURRICANES, AND IT AMPLIFIES THEM MAKING THEM STRONGER OR MORE FREQUENT OR SOMETIMES BOTH.

SO TEXAS LEADS THE U.S. IN THE GREATEST NUMBER OF BILLION PLUS WEATHER AND CLIMATE DISASTER SINCE 1980.

THEY HAVE SEEN OVER 100 OF THEM.

SO BECAUSE TEXAS IS NATURALLY VULNERABLE TO ALL OF THESE DIFFERENT TYPES OF WEATHER AND CLIMATE EVENTS, WE GET PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING IN TEXAS, BLIZZARDS, SNOWSTORMS AND ICE STORMS, BECAUSE OF THAT WE ARE ALSO MOST VULNERABLE TO THE IMPACTS OF A CHANGING CLIMATE.

OKAY.

SO NOW LET'S TACKLE THE I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY POUNDS NOW GORILLA THAT SAYS THAT SETTLED SCIENCE, MONETARY REASONS OR RELIGIOUS REASONS OR WHATEVER, YOU HAVE SPENT A LOT OF TIME TALKING ABOUT THIS FROM A SCIENTIFIC POINT OF VIEW.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY A LITTLE BIT OF YOUR TED TALK THIS PAST YEAR AND YOU DESCRIBED WHAT HAPPENED WHEN YOU OPENED THE FLOOR TO QUESTIONS.

LET ME JUST PLAY THIS.

I ENDED MY TALK WITH A HOPEFUL REQUEST FOR ANY QUESTIONS.

ONE HAND SHOT UP RIGHT AWAY.

I LOOKED ENCOURAGING.

HE STOOD UP.

IN A LOUD VOICE HE SAID, YOU'RE A DEMOCRAT, AREN'T YOU?

NO, I SAID, I'M CANADIAN.

[ LAUGHTER ]

WELL, THAT'S A G.

YOU ALSO SAID THAT A THERMOMETER IS NEITHER LIBERAL NOR TELL ME HOW YOU ARE TACKLING THIS HIGHLY POLITICIZED, HIGHLY IDEOLOGICAL BATTLE OVER WHETHER HUMANS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS CLIMATE CHANGE.

I HAVE A CONVERSATION JUST ABOUT EVERY DAY WITH SOMEONE WHO REJECTS THE SCIENCE OF CLIMATE CHANGE.

WHEN THEY DO SO, THEY TYPICALLY THROW UP WHAT I THINK OF AS SCIENCEY SOUNDING MYTH.

IT'S A NATURAL CYCLE.

OR YOU SCIENTISTS ARE SAYING THIS TO LINE YOUR POCKETS.

OR THE RELIGIOUS CONTROL, IF GOD IS IN CHARGE OF THIS, IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

HE'S GOING TO END THE EARTH IF WE LET PEOPLE TALK MORE THAN 30 SECONDS, IMMEDIATELY THE CONVERSATION WILL TAKE A RIGHT TURN INTO I DON'T WANT A PRICE ON CARBON.

I'VE HEARD FIXING CLIMATE CHANGE WILL DESTROY THE ECONOMY.

I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DRIVE MY TRUCK ANYMORE IF WE HAVE LIMITS ON CARBON.

JUST ABOUT ALL OF THE OBJECTIONS I'VE HEARD, THE GENUINE OBJECTIONS ON CLIMATE HAVE EVERYTHING TO DO WITH SOLUTION AVERSION.

THE FACT THAT WE FEAR THE SOLUTION MORE THAN WE FEAR THE IMPACTS.

WE THINK THE SOLUTIONS WILL DESTROY OUR WAY OF LIFE AND LEAD TO MUCH LOWER QUALITY OF LIFE THAN WE ENJOY TODAY WHEREAS WE VIEW THE IMPACTS AS DISTANT AND FAR OFF, THEY DON'T REALLY MATTER TO US.

SO TO ADDRESS THIS, I HAVE TO DO TWO THINGS THAT ARE VERY UNCOMFORTABLE FOR A SCIENTIST TO THE FIRST THING IS, RATHER THAN ENGAGING PEOPLE FROM THE HEAD AS WE OFTEN DO WITH DATA AND FACTS AND CHARTS AND FIGURES, I HAVE TO ENGAGE PEOPLE FROM THE HEART, SHARING WITH THEM FROM MY OWN HEART WHY I CARE, WHY THIS MATTERS TO ME AND TO PEOPLE I CARE ABOUT AND LOVE.

THE SECOND THING I HAVE TO DO IS SOMETHING WE SCIENTISTS AREN'T TRAINED TO DO.

THAT'S WHY WE NEED EVERYBODY ON BOARD HELPING WITH THIS, WE HAVE TO TALK SOLUTIONS.

I LOVE TALKING ABOUT EXAMPLES OF WHERE COMPANIES LIKE A SOLAR PANEL MANUFACTURER IN SAN ANTONIO TOOK IN OIL PATCHWORKERS WHO LOST THEIR JOBS WHEN OIL PRICES DROPPED AND RETAINED THEM TO DO SOLAR PANEL MANUFACTURING.

OR THE FACT A CHINESE COMPANY WENT INTO WYOMING AND TRAINED COAL MINERS IN WYOMING TO DO SOLAR INSTALLATION.

PEOPLE THAT WORK VERY HARD, LIKE COAL MINERS, DESERVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE NUCLEAR AND ENERGY ECONOMY.

> MUCH OF THE BACKLASH YOU'VE DESCRIBED INCLUDES A FAITH-BASED BACKLASH.

CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO US HOW YOU EXPLAIN TO YOUR FAITH-BASED COMMUNITY THAT YOU CAN HAVE FAITH AND BE A COMMITTED CHRISTIAN AND BE A REALLY RIGOROUS ATMOSPHERIC SCIENTIST AS YOU ARE.

WHEN PEOPLE SAY, OH, GOD IS IN CONTROL, SO HUMANS CAN'T AFFECT THE PLANET, I POINT THEM TO GENESIS 1 WHERE HE SAID GOD GAVE US, HUMANS, RESPONSIBILITY OVER EVERYTHING LIVING THING ON THE PLANET.

WHEN THEY SAY HUMANS CAN'T AFFECT SOMETHING AS BIG AS THE PLANET.

LET'S LOOK AT REVELATION WHERE IT SAYS GOD WILL DESTROY THOSE WHO DESTROY THE EARTH.

IT'S GOING TO END ANYWAY.

I POINT TO THESSALONIANS, THE WORLD WILL END ANY DAY.

WE DON'T HAVE TO WORK ANYMORE.

WE SIT BACK AND RELAX AND WAIT FOR CHRIST TO RETURN.

THE APOSTLE PAUL WROTE TO THEM.

HE'S A LITTLE SALTY AT TIMES.

GET A JOB, SUPPORT YOUR FAMILY.

CARE FOR THE ORPHANS AND WIDOWS AND POOR.

WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS.

WE DO KNOW RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW WE ARE CALLED TO HELP OTHERS AS WE ARE CALLED TO LOVE BY GOD.

WHY THEN DO YOU THINK IS THE ROOT IN MANY PARTS OF THE CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY IN THE UNITED STATES, YOU KNOW, PEOPLE ARE ENCOURAGED TO BELIEVE THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU'RE SAYING.

WHY IS THAT?

THE REASON IS BECAUSE WE HAVE CONFUSED OUR POLITICS WITH OUR RELIGIOUS.

FOR MANY PEOPLE UNFORTUNATELY IN THE UNITED STATES TODAY, THE STATEMENT OF FAITH IS WRITTEN FIRST BY THEIR POLITICAL IDEOLOGY AND ONLY SECOND BY THE BIBLE.

WHEN THE TWO COME INTO CONFLICT, AS UNFORTUNATELY THEY OBVIOUS DO THESE DAYS, THEY WILL GO WITH THEIR POLITICAL IDEOLOGY OVER THEIR FAITH.

TELL ME ABOUT THE POLLS.

THEY ARE COUNTER-INTUITIVE.

PEOPLE BELIEVE THERE'S CLIMATE CHANGE BUT A MAJORITY BELIEVE WHAT?

THE MAJORITY, 70% BELIEVE CLIMATE IS CHANGING BECAUSE THE EVIDENCE IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF US.

WILDFIRES ARE BURNING ABOUT TWICE THE AREA IN THE WESTERN U.S. THAT THEY WOULD WITHOUT A CHANGE IN CLIMATE.

HURRICANES ARE BEING SUPERSIZED BY A FACTOR OF 30, 40% MORE RAINFALL FALLING TODAY THAN THEY WOULD HAVE 100 YEARS AGO.

SO 70% OF PEOPLE AGREE THE CLIMATE IS CHANGING.

ABOUT THE SAME NUMBER AGREE THAT PLANTS AND ANIMALS AND FUTURE GENERATIONS AND EVEN PEOPLE IN DEVELOPING COUNTRIES WILL BE AFFECTED.T ONLY A MINORITY AGRET WE OURSELVES WILL BE AFFECTED.

EVEN THOUGH JUST OVER 50% DO AGREE CLIMATE IS CHANGING DUE TO HUMAN ACTIVITY, THERE'S A STRONG IDENTITY GRADIENT.

THE NUMBER ONE PREDICTOR IN THE UNITED STATES OF WHETHER WE AGREE THE CLIMATE IS CHANGING AND HUMANS ARE RESPONSIBLE IS NOT HOW MUCH WE KNOW ABOUT THE SCIENCE, IT'S SIMPLY WHERE WE FALL ON THE POLITICAL SPECTRUM.

THE FURTHER TO THE RIGHT WE ARE, THE LESS LIKELY WE ARE TO AGREE WITH SIMPLE FACTS WE'VE KNOWN SINCE THE 1850s.

BY DIGGING UP AND BURNING COAL AND GAS AND OIL, WE'RE RELEASING HEAT TRAPPING GASES INTO THE ATMOSPHERE WHERE THEY ARE WRAPPING AN EXTRA BLANKET AROUND THE PLANET, TRAPPING HEAT THAT WOULD OTHERWISE ESCAPE TO SPACE AND THAT'S WHY THE EARTH IS RUNNING A FEVER.

ALL RIGHT.

SO THE EARTH IS RUNNING A FEVER.

WE ARE NOW CAUGHT UP IN A YOU WERE ONE OF THE AUTHORS OF THE GOVERNMENT'S RECENT QUITE CATACLYSMIC CLIMATE REPORT, WHICH THE PRESIDENT DISMISSED, BUT IT WAS REALLY DEVASTATING, TALKING ABOUT THE ECONOMIC WHAT YOU SAID WAS A THREAT MULTIPLIER.MILITARY CALLS IT A T MULTIPLIER.

JUST EXPLAIN THAT.

WE CARE ABOUT A CHANGING CLIMATE NOT BECAUSE IT INCREASED THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF OUR CLIMATE BY 1 OR 2 DEGREES C.

WE CARE BECAUSE IT AFFECTS ALMOST EVERY ASPECT OF OUR LIVES.THE DESCRIPTION OF A THRET MULTIPLIER IS AN APT ONE BECAUSE IT TAKES THE THINGS WE'RE ALREADY CONCERNED ABOUT.

WE'RE CONCERNED ABOUT PRODUCING ENOUGH FOOD, ABOUT KEEPING THE ECONOMY HEALTHY, ABOUT HAVING SUFFICIENT WATER, ABOUT WORKING WITH COUNTRIES THAT ARE SUFFERING FROM POLITICAL CONFLICT AND STRIVE.

WE'RE WORRIED ABOUT PROVIDING SAFE PLACES FOR PEOPLE TO LIVE.

TODAY CLIMATE CHANGE AFFECTS ALL OF THOSE THINGS.

THE U.S. NATIONAL CLIMATE ASSESSMENT REALLY ADDRESSED WHAT I FEEL IS THE MOST DANGEROUS AND WIDESPREAD MYTH THAT THE ALARMEST NUMBER OF PEOPLE HAVE BOUGHT INTO AND THAT IS THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER TO ME.

CLIMATE ASSESSMENT BROUGHT THIS HOME TO EVERY READING OF THE U.S., EVERY SECT OR OF THE U.S.

IT POINTED TO VERY SPECIFIC WAYS THAT PEOPLE ARE ALREADY BEING AFFECTED.

WHETHER BY SUNNY DAY FLOODING ALONG THE EAST COAST, WHETHER NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES THAT ARE FORCED TO ABANDON THEIR ANCESTRAL LANDS DUE TO SEA LEVEL AND EROSION, INCREASED RISK OF WATER SHORTAGES, STRONGER DROUGHTS, GREATER HEAT WAVES, IT BROUGHT ALL THAT DOWN TO THE LOCAL LEVEL WHERE PEOPLE LIVE.

IT HELPED US UNDERSTAND WE ARE ALREADY BEING AFFECTED.

IN FACT, WE ARE ALREADY STARTING TO RESPOND BUT NOT FAST ENOUGH.

PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO RESPOND.RNMENTS IN CHINA, INDIAL SORTS OF PLACES, THEY GET IT.

NOW, THE YOUTH, THE YOUNG PEOPLE OF THE WORLD ARE REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT THIS, BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY IT IS THE WORLD THEY WILL INHERIT.

I JUST WANT TO PLAY A IT IS PART OF A SPEECH FROM A YOUNG GIRL, SWEDISH GIRL AT THE LATEST CLIMATE CONFERENCE WHICH TOOK PLACE IN POLAND.

HERE IS WHAT SHE SAID.

YOU ARE NOT MATURE ENOUGH TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS, EVEN THAT BURDEN YOU LEAVE TO US CHILDREN.

BUT I DON'T CARE ABOUT BEING UNPOPULAR.

I CARE ABOUT CLIMATE JUSTICE AND THE LIVING PLANET.

SO THERE IS THAT YOUNG GIRL PUTTING THE ADULTS AT THE CLIMATE CONFERENCE ON NOTICE AND SAY YOU'RE JUST NOT GETTING IT.

THAT IS OUR FUTURE, AND YOU ARE NOT PROTECTING US.

YOU ARE LEAVING IT TO US.

WHAT ARE THE SOLUTIONS, KATHARINE HAYHOE?

WHAT WE REALLY LACK IS A VISION OF A BETTER FUTURE.

WHEN WE TALK ABOUT CLIMATE ACTION WE'RE PRESENTED WITH TWO OPPOSING APOCALYPTIC VISIONS.

ONE WHERE CLIMATE CONTINUES UNDER CHECKED, WHICH COULD MEAN THE END OF CIVILIZATION AS WE KNOW IT.

NOT THE END OF THE PLANET.

THE PLANET WILL BE FINE.

BUT THE END OF CIVILIZATION.

OUR CIVILIZATION IS BULLET ON THE ASSUMPTION OF A STABLE CLIMATE.

ON THE OTHER SIDE WE HAVE THIS APOCALYPTIC VISION WE HAVE TO THROW AWAY EVERYTHING THAT MAKES OUR CLIMATE COMFORTABLE.

NO ELECTRICITY, NO CARS, NO NOTHING.

WE'RE FACED WITH THESE TWO OPPOSING VISIONS OF THE FUTURE.

NO WONDER PEOPLE ARE MORE AFRAID WHERE WE THROW AWAY OUR MODERN TECHNOLOGY VERSUS WHERE CLIMATE IMPACTS AFFECT US.

THE REALITY IS NEITHER OF THOSE HAVE TO HAPPEN.

WE NEED A POSITIVE VISION OF THE FUTURE WHERE WE DO CONTINUE TO HAVE ABUNDANT ENERGY FOR ALL, NOT JUST US IN DEVELOPED COUNTRIES BUT EVERY COUNTRY AROUND THE WORLD, BUT THAT ENERGY COMES FROM CLEAN SOURCES THAT DON'T POLLUTE OUR AIR AND WATER AND WILL NEVER RUN OUT ON US.

WE NEED THE POSITIVE VISION WHERE THERE'S ABUNDANT FOOD FOR PEOPLE, WATER AVAILABLE TO PEOPLE, SAFE PLACES FOR US TO CLIMATE CHANGE IS A THREAT MULTIPLIER.

IT MULTIPLIES THREATS LIKE HUNGER, POVERTY, DISEASE, LACK OF ACCESS TO CLEAN WATER AND EVEN CIVIL AND POLITICAL CONFLICT.

YOU'VE TALKED ABOUT ONE OF THE THINGS WE INDIVIDUALS CAN DO IS BE VERY CAREFUL OF OUR OWN CARBON FOOTPRINT.

YOU TAKE THAT VERY SERIOUSLY.

YOU'RE TALKING TO US FROM TEXAS WHERE YOU LIVE.

DESCRIBE HOW YOU ARRANGE YOUR PROFESSIONAL LIFE SO AS NOT TO BE GALAVANTING ALL OVER THE WORLD.

AS A CLIMATE SCIENTIST I'M VERY SENSITIVE TO THE FACT THAT THE BIGGEST PART OF MY PERSONAL CARBON FOOTPRINT IS MY TRAVEL.

YET AT THE SAME TIME WHEN I DO TRAVEL I'M TALKING ABOUT A CHANGE IN CLIMATE.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WE CAN DO TO FIX CLIMATE CHANGE RIGHT NOW IS TALK ABOUT IT.

IF WE DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, WHY WOULD WE CARE.

IF WE DON'T CARE, WHY WOULD WE DO ANYTHING TO FIX IT.

WHAT I DO IS I ASK PEOPLE WOULD YOU ACCEPT A VIRTUAL I DO ABOUT THREE-QUARTERS OF MY TALKS VIRTUALLY.

WHEN I DO GET INVITATIONS, I GATHER THEM ALL TOGETHER.

WHEN I TRAVEL SOMEWHERE, I TRAVELED TO THE UK LAST YEAR, I MAKE SURE EVERY SINGLE DAY I'M GOING TO A DIFFERENT PLACE, TALKING TO A DIFFERENT GROUP OF PEOPLE ABOUT OUR CHANGING I ALSO LOOK AT OTHER WAYS WE PERSONALLY CAN EAT LOWER DOWN THE FOOD CHAIN.

WE DON'T HAVE TO HAVE MEAT EVERY DAY.

WE DON'T HAVE TO EAT BEEF AS MUCH AS WE DO.

SAVING ENERGY IN OUR HOUSES, HANGING UP CLOTHES TO DRY, CHANGING LIGHT BULBS.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING WE CAN DO ABOUT THE PROBLEM IS TALK ABOUT IT.

IF WE DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, WHY WOULD ANYONE CARE.

WHEN YOU SAY TALK ABOUT IT, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT IT, WE'RE COMMITTED TO DOING IT.

WHAT DO YOU THINK THE MEDIA'S RESPONSIBILITY HERE IS?

THE TWO MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO TALK ABOUT ARE FIRST OF ALL HOW IT MATTERS TO US IN THE PLACES WHERE WE LIVE.

SO TELL THE STORIES ABOUT HOW REAL PEOPLE ARE BEING IMPACTED TODAY BY THE WAY THAT CLIMATE CHANGE IS LOADING THE WEATHER DICE AGAINST US.

SECOND OF ALL, TALK SOLUTIONS.

THERE ARE SO MANY INCREDIBLE, INSPIRING SOLUTIONS OUT THERE FROM PAY AS YOU GO SOLAR IN SUBSARAHAN AFRICA TO SOLAR BOOMS IN THE REDDEST STATE IN THE WE NEED TO FEEL, FIRST OF ALL, AS IF THE IMPACTS REALLY DO MATTER TO US, BUT SECOND OF ALL THAT THERE ARE POSITIVE, BENEFICIAL, ATTRACTIVE SOLUTIONS THAT WILL GIVE US NOT A WORSE BUT A BETTER LIFE.

KATHARINE HAYHOE, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING US.

AN INFECTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC SPIRIT.

THANK YOU.

> SO LET US SEE IF WE CAN CONTINUE TO TALK ABOUT IT AND TRY SOMEHOW TO REACH SOME KIND OF TIPPING POINT WHERE WE CAN MOVE THE DIAL.

AS SHE SAID, TO SAVE OUR CIVILIZATION.WE CONTINUE OUR INW WITH THE MULTI-TALENTED ROCK STAR LENNY KRAVITZ, SITTING DOWN WITH US HE TALKS ABOUT THREE DECADES OF TOURING, CHARITY WORK, AND WHY HE, HIS DAUGHTER, HIS EX-WIFE AND HER NEW HUSBAND ARE ONE BIG, HAPPY FAMILY.

YOU'VE DONE THIS NOW, BEEN TOURING 27, 28 YEARS ON THE ROAD.

30 YEARS COMING.

IS THE MUSIC CHANGING YOU?

ARE YOU CHANGING THE MUSIC?

HOW DO YOU SEE THAT SORT OF EVOLUTION.

I DO WHAT COMES THROUGH ME.

I'M OPEN TO EVERYTHING.

I LISTEN TO NEW THINGS.

I'M STILL LISTENING TO THE CLASSICS AND STILL DISCOVERING OLD MUSIC I HADN'T DISCOVERED.

BUT I DON'T FOLLOW THE TRENDS.

I DON'T TRY TO MAKE HIT RECORDS.

I NEVER HAVE.

♪♪ ♪ I'M GOING TO FLY AWAY

EVERY HIT RECORD THAT I'VE HAD HAS JUST BEEN SOMETHING THAT HAPPENED.

FOR ME IT'S ABOUT BEING MYSELF.

THROUGH THAT YEAR THE RIDE WILL BE UP AND DOWN AND UP AND DOWN AND STRAIGHT.

I'M FINE WITH THAT.

HERE I AM 30 YEARS LATER AND THE RECORDS ARE BEING LISTENED TO, THE OLD FANS ARE THERE, THE NEW FANS ARE THERE.

I'M QUITE GRATEFUL THAT I GET TO LIVE MY LIFE DOING WHAT I LOVE AND THAT I CAN STILL BE DOING IT WITH THE BEST IN FRONT OF ME.

YOU DON'T WANT TO CHASE TRENDS.

QUITE THE CONTRARY, YOU'RE A TRENDSETTER, WHEN IT COMES TO STYLE.

HOW DID YOU GET THAT?

THROUGH YOUR PARENTS?

I WOULD THINK THROUGH MY MOTHER AND THROUGH GROWING UP IN NEW YORK CITY IN THE EARLY '70s.

IT WAS REALLY INFLUENTIAL BEING AROUND ALL THESE ARTISTS, MUSICIANS, WRITERS THAT HAD A FLAIR, YOU KNOW, STYLE.

THAT'S ALSO WHAT GOT ME INTO INTERIOR DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURE.ND PEOPLE WHO EXPRS THEMSELVES THROUGH THEIR CLOTHING, INTERIORS AND THEIR ART.

YOUR DAUGHTER RECENTLY SAID THAT WAS PART OF WHAT WAS TOUGH GROWING UP KNOWING YOU HAD SUCH A COOL DAD AND COOL MOM, SUCH FASHION PLATES.

I THINK SHE SAID, DUDE, CAN YOU BE LOW KEY, JUST A SHIRT I CAN'T SEE YOUR NIPPLES THROUGH WAS SO DOPE.

WE WERE SINGING IN MIAMI AT THE TIME AND IT WAS HOT.

I DON'T THINK THAT EXPLAINS MULTIPLE TIMES YOU HAD SEE-THROUGH SHIRTS.

SHE HAD TO GROW UP WITH THAT.

WHAT'S IT LIKE SEEING YOUR DAUGHTER FLOURISH?

IT'S THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING EVER.

I HAD NO IDEA WHICH DIRECTION SHE WOULD GO INTO.

I THOUGHT THEY WOULD NOT GO IN THIS DIRECTION.

YOU KNOW, WHEN YOUR PARENTS ARE DOING IT, YOU KIND OF WANT TO GO THE OTHER WAY.

ALL OF A SUDDEN SHE STARTED ACTING, AUDITIONING AND GETTING PARTS.

WHERE DID THIS COME FROM?

I'M MARIE, I'M SUPPOSED TO SHOW YOU AROUND.

NOW I LOOK AT HER, AND IT'S JUST BEAUTIFUL SHE DID IT ON HER OWN.

DID PEOPLE KNOW WHO SHE WAS BECAUSE OF HER PARENTS?

YES.

BUT THAT LASTS ABOUT FIVE MINUTES.

HER SKILLS --

IT COMES DOWN TO YOUR SKILLS.

SHE KEPT US OUT OF IT.

I DIDN'T WANT TO BE A PART OF SHE HAS HER OWN DIRECTION AND HER OWN VISION.

I WATCH HER AND I LEARN.

IT'S REALLY BEAUTIFUL TO SEE.

ONE OF THE THINGS THAT'S INTERESTING IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS WE'VE ALSO SEEN IS YOU'RE QUITE FRIENDLY WITH JASON MOMOA WHO IS MARRIED TO LISA BONET.

MY BROTHER.

YOUR EX-WIFE.

HOW DO YOU DO THAT?

MOST PEOPLE CAN'T DO THAT?

IT'S FUNNY THE REACTION.

I WENT TO SEE HIM HOSTING

YOU HAVE MATCHING RINGS.

HE GAVE ME ONE AFTER THE SHOW.

HE GAVE ME ONE OF HIS RINGS.

IT'S INTERESTING TO SEE THE REACTION FROM PEOPLE.

HOW DO YOU DO IT?

SO AMAZING.

WHAT AN EXAMPLE OF BLENDED FAMILY OF LOVE AND RESPECT.

FOR US IT'S JUST NORMAL.

YES, I KNOW IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY.

I KNOW SO MANY PEOPLE DON'T GO IN THAT DIRECTION.

THEY CAN'T HANDLE THAT.

BUT WE'RE FAMILY, YOU KNOW.

LISA AND I WERE ONCE TOGETHER AND WE HAD ZOE.

NOW WE'RE BACK TO A BROTHER-SISTER KIND OF RELATIONSHIP, BUT WE'RE JUST AS CLOSE AND WE LOVE EACH OTHER JUST AS MUCH AS WE DID.

EITHER JUST A DIFFERENT DYNAMIC.

SHE'S NOW WITH JASON.

THEY HAVE THEIR RELATIONSHIP.

HE RESPECTS ME.

I RESPECT HIM.

WE LIKE EACH OTHER VERY MUCH.

I LOVE EACH OTHER.

I NOW SPEND TIME WITH THEIR KIDS.

WE'RE ONE FAMILY.

THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.

LOVE IS LOVE.

I'M NOT GOING TO STOP LOVING SOMEBODY BECAUSE WE'RE NOT HAVING THAT TYPE OF RELATIONSHIP, ROMANTIC WHEN YOU SAY LET LOVE RULE, YOU HAVE TO LET LOVE RULE IN ALL THE CATEGORIES.

YOU HAVE BEEN DESIGNING FOR QUITE SOME TIME.

YOU'VE DESIGNED A FARM IN BRAZIL, DESIGNED HOMES, INTERIOR DESIGNED THEM.

YOU'VE HAD A ONE OFF ROLEX.

FURNITURE FOR CB 2.

IS THIS LIKE MAKING MUSIC?

ABSOLUTELY.

FOR ME IT'S THE SAME THING.

I LOVE MAKING FURNITURE, DO INTERIOR DESIGNING PRODUCTS.

I'VE BEEN FORTUNATE TO WORK WITH, YOU KNOW, GREAT BANDS, THE DIRECTOR OF DOM PERRIGION, HOTELS, CONDOMINIUMS, HOMES.

THE CREATIVE PROCESS IS THE SAME.

YOU START WITH NOTHING AND YOU MAKE SOMETHING.

I LOVE IT.

I WAS NOT EDUCATED IN IT FORMALLY.

I DIDN'T GO TO SCHOOL FOR IT.

IT'S JUST SOMETHING I HAD WITHIN ME.

I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THAT FOR YEARS.

I BUILT THIS COMPANY, KRAVITZ DESIGN.

WE'RE WORKING ALL AROUND THE WORLD DOING DIFFERENT THINGS.

IT'S A LOT OF FUN.

I GET THE SAME JOY AND THE SAME BUZZ THAT I GET FROM MAKING

WHY STILL MAKE MUSIC?

BECAUSE I HAVE NO CHOICE.

I HAVE TO.

I HEAR IT.

I STILL HEAR IT.

IT STILL COMES OUT OF ME.

WHEN I'M IN THE STUDIO TO THIS DAY, IT'S THE SAME AS WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL.

THE FEELING I USED TO GET GOING INTO THE STUDIO.

THE STUDIO WAS A MAGICAL PLACE.

YOU COULDN'T WALK INTO A STUDIO.

A STUDIO WAS SOMEWHERE YOU HAD TO BE INVITED OR HAVE THE MONEY.

WHEN YOU GOT IN THERE IT WAS LIKE GOING BEHIND THE CURTAIN, 'THE WIZARD OF OZ.'

WOW, THE MIXING, THE EQUIPMENT, THE ROOM.

IT'S LIKE A SACRED TEMPLE.

AND I'M STILL JUST AS EXCITED AS I WAS THEN.

I'M REALLY GRATEFUL I STILL HAVE THAT.THAT I'M NOT JADED, I'M NOT TIRED.

I'M STILL EXCITED TO MAKE ART AND TO EXPRESS MYSELF.

OTHERWISE I WOULD NOT BE DOING IT.

THE PLACE YOU GO BACK TO, A TINY ISLAND IN THE BAHAMAS.

IT'S A PLACE THAT DOESN'T HAVE A LOT.

YOU ARE DONATING TO A NONPROFIT THAT'S WORKING THERE TO TRY TO BUILD MEDICAL CLINICS, BRING DENTAL CARE.

WHY THERE?

WELL, CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME, AS MY MOTHER ALWAYS TAUGHT ME AS A CHILD.

YOU KNOW, I WAS SITTING AT HOME ONE DAY, AND I HAD SOME FRIENDS THAT I HAD INVITED FROM NEW IT HAPPENED TO BE A DENTIST AND HIS WIFE.

WE STARTED TALKING.

I SAID, MAN, YOU SHOULD SEE WHAT'S GOING ON AROUND HERE.

THERE'S A LACK OF CARE, A LACK OF EDUCATION.

HE SAID, NO, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S LIKE THAT.

I WAS DESCRIBING HOW PEOPLE HAVE, YOU KNOW, REALLY BAD ORAL SO I TOOK HIM AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD IN MY JEEP.

I STARTED STOPPING PEOPLE ON THE ROAD SAYING, HEY, MAN, HOW ARE YOU DOING?

GOOD.

IT'S MY FRIEND, DOCTOR SO-AND-SO.I SAID, HOW IS YOUR M?

THEY LOOKED AT ME, WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

HOW IS YOUR MOUTH?

WHAT'S GOING ON IN YOUR MOUTH?

DO YOU HAVE PAIN?

WE STARTED -- HE STARTED EXAMINING PEOPLE ON THE HOOD OF MY JEEP ON THIS ONE ROAD.

HE HAD HIS GOGGLES AND THINGS AND ALL THIS STUFF TO LOOK IN THERE.

HE HAD HIS MASK.

HE COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT HE FOUND.

I SAID, YOU SEE, IT'S A BIG PROBLEM.

PEOPLE WITH THEIR MOUTHS JUST ROTTED OUT, INFECTIONS.

PEOPLE WITH NO TEETH.

SO WE JUST SAID, YOU KNOW WHAT, LET'S HELP THESE FOLKS.

ALL OF THE MOBILE EQUIPMENT, HIGH-TECH EQUIPMENT.

HE GOT HIS DOCTORS TO COME DOWN.

HE HAD 35 DOCTORS.

WE SET UP A CLINIC IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN AND WORKED FOR FOUR OR FIVE DAYS AND HELPED, YOU KNOW, 400 SOME-ODD PEOPLE THE FIRST TIME.

AND WE'VE NOW BEEN DOING IT, THIS IS OUR FOURTH YEAR COMING UP NOW.

IT'S THE GLOW GOOD FOUNDATION HEADED BY DR. LEVINE, MY PARTNER.

IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

IT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN AGAIN IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS.

THE END GAME, WE HAVE A FREESTANDING MEDICAL -- FULL MEDICAL CLINIC WITH ALL OF THE CLINIC THAT WILL BE FREE TO THE ISLAND.

IN ORDER TO HELP THAT, YOU'RE ALSO BEHIND A TOOTHPASTE?

THIS IS NOT A LENNY KRAVITZ TOOTHPASTE.

THAT'S THE NEWEST COMPONENT.

MY SELF AND THE TWO SONS OF DR.

LEVINE, JULIAN AND CODE START ADD TOOTHPASTE CALLED TWICE.

TWO TOOTHPASTES, ONE FOR MORNING, ONE FOR NIGHT.

TWO DIFFERENT FLAVORS, TWO DIFFERENT DYNAMICS ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO BRUSH TWICE A DAY.

BECAUSE 100 MILLION FOLKS DON'T BRUSH TWICE A DAY.

FACT.

PART OF THE PROCEEDS GO BACK TO THIS MISSION SO WE CAN CONTINUE DOING THIS, SERVICE THE PEOPLE IN THE ISLAND AND ALSO TAKE IT TO OTHER PLACES IN THE WORLD, IN THE FUTURE.

SO IT'S A BEAUTIFUL THING.

I GET TO DO THIS IN MY BACKYARD AT HOME.

IT'S AN HONOR TO BE ABLE TO PROVIDE THIS.

YOU HAVE GOTTEN TO PLAY WITH EVERYONE FROM AL GREEN TO JAY Z.

YOU PERFORMED AT THE SUPER BOWL.

RATTLE OVER A FEW MOMENTS THAT COME TO MIND ABOUT MUSIC AND YOUR PARTICIPATION IN IT.

I MEAN, I'VE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK WITH MY HEROES AND THE PEOPLE THAT EDUCATED ME, PRINCE, DAVID BOWIE, MILK JAGGER, ROLLING STONES, ROBERT PLANT, BB KING, LABELLE, MADONNA.

THAT'S INCREDIBLE LUCK.

I CAN'T THINK OF ANYBODY RIGHT AT THIS SECOND.

WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER?

IT MIGHT NOT BE A MOMENT HALF A BILLION WATCHED LIKE SUPER BOWL, WHAT'S SOMETHING ORE.

THE QUIET MOMENTS WHEN YOU'RE AT HOME.

LIKE HAVING STEVIE WONDER IN YOUR LIVING ROOM PLAYING THE PIANO AND SINGING WITH YOU AND HAVING FUN WHEN NOBODY IS WATCHING.

SAME THING, MICK JAGGER SITTING AT MY PIANO PLAYING THE BLUES.

NOBODY IS LOOKING, JUST HAVING FUN.

SITTING WITH LIONEL RICHIE IN THE KITCHEN, SITTING AND WRITING A SONG.

MY GRANDFATHER WHO WAS LIVING THERE AT THE TIME SAID COULD YOU TAKE THAT SOMEWHERE ELSE, I'M TRYING TO WATCH THIS.

THOSE ARE THE MOMENTS.

ARE YOU GOING ON TOUR NOW, FOR THIS ALBUM?

I'VE BEEN ON TOUR FOR THIS ALBUM.

WE'VE ALREADY DONE MEXICO, EUROPE AND A SMALL TOUR OF AMERICA.

I'M GETTING READY TO DO SOUTH AMERICA AND CHILE ALL THE WAY UP TO BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, COLOMBIA, SO FORTH.

THEN GOING TO DO A FULL TOUR OF EUROPE AGAIN AND FULL TOUR OF THE UNITED STATES AGAIN.

THAT WILL GO TO THE END OF THE SUMMER 2019.

ARE YOU WORKING ON MORE MUSIC ALREADY?

I'M TWO ALBUMS AHEAD OF

WOW.

IS THAT HOW IT USUALLY WORKS?

NO.

I USUALLY DO ONE AT A TIME AND THEN I TAKE A PRACTICE.

BUT I'M COMMITTED FOR THE NEXT FIVE YEARS TO KEEP WORKING WITHOUT BREAK.

I FEEL A TIME FOR ME TO JUST CONTINUE ON THIS JOURNEY WITH NO BREAK.

THAT'S INTENSE.

IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

LENNY KRAVITZ, THANKS SO MUCH.

A PLEASURE TO SPEAK WITH YOU.

TAKE CARE, MAN.

WELL, ALL OF THAT WORK IS GOING TO MAKE HIS FANS VERY, VERY HAPPY.

ROCK LEGEND, RENAISSANCE MAN, LENNY KRAVITZ.

JOIN ME TOMORROW FOR MY INTERVIEW WITH OSCAR WINNING DIRECTOR BARRY JENKINS, THE STAR BEHIND MOONLIGHT TALKS TO ME ABOUT HIS LATEST MOVIE, THE ROMANTIC DRAMA, 'IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK.'

IT WON A GOLDEN GLOBE SUNDAY NIGHT FOR BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS REGINA KING.

THAT'S IT FOR OUR PROGRAM TONIGHT.

THANKS FOR WATCHING 'AMANPOUR & COMPANY.'