This 51st State report, which originally aired in 1975 on Channel Thirteen in New York, looks at New York City’s repeated attempts to complete a second subway line on the East Side of Manhattan. The project is still not finished after over a half-century of delays.
- The Saga of the 2nd Avenue Subway
The following 51st State reports look at the varying modes of transportation in New York City (in 1975).
- Westway: The Solution or the Problem? is an examination of the controversial proposals for the West Side Highway.
- In Getting to the Airport Cheap, reporter Ken Baron takes us on a trip to Kennedy Airport using only public transportation.
- Robert Sam Anson provides commentary in Cars, Cars, Terrible, Wonderful Cars.
- Finally, The Singing Bus Driver profiles a truly unique New Yorker as he tries to make a difference during the daily commute.