finding your roots

Families of New Amsterdam

Elizabeth Wilcox March 7, 2012

Among my earliest ancestors to come to North America is the Vigne family of New Amsterdam. Guillaume Vigne and his wife, Ariaentje, owned land near what is now Wall St. and Pearl St. in NYC. I am descended from their daughter, Maria, but her younger brother Jean was the first male child born in the New Netherland Colony (about 1624). My people were occupying Wall St. in the 1620s!

Another of my New Amsterdam ancestors was the miller, Abraham Van Deursen. There was a big article in the New York Times last summer about him and some of his 200,000+ descendants — Franklin Roosevelt and Martin Van Buren were among them.

Also I am descended from the Dutch Reform Minister Everardus Bogardus and his wife Annetje Jans. Duane Park in TriBeCa has a plaque dedicated to them because she was its first European land owner.

Plaque Duane Park in TriBeCa

Plaque Duane Park in TriBeCa

Share:
Submit Your Story

comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Joan

March 7, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I too have direct desendants that lived in what is now Manhatten. Sylvanis DeHart lived in the vicinity of 46th and 47th streets on 300 acres of land. He arrived in new Amsterdam on the ship Calderland in 1664.

• Coyne LaMoreaux

April 7, 2012 at 10:56 am

My Family was descended from Jean Vigne who we understand ran the brewery up in what is now Wall Street. His Niece married a LaMoreaux and they live up by Cold Springs NY until after the revolution and were kicked out of the USA. The family settled for a time in the Toronto area before eventually moving south to Ohio.

• Janet Kaufman

April 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I found people from my family there too. The Srillwell family. It appears from the description of where their property was located, it is wher the United Nations sits today. Good luck with your search. I made it back to the Mayflower.

• Lindsey Cain

April 23, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Hi Elizabeth, Your ancestors the Bogardus’s were my direct ancestor Anthony Van Salee’s neighbor…and, quite a colorful story exists about all of them…. I am also directly descended from the Couwenhovens and several others there at the same time. SMALL WORLD :) Nice to mneet you :)

• Lindsey Cain

April 23, 2012 at 2:33 pm

OH forgot to mention, sister to another direct ancestor from New Amsterdam, Sarah…First white European GIRL born in the colony

• Debra Winchell

April 29, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Then we are distantly related. I am descended from Anneke Jans and her first husband Roeleff Jansen through their daughter Sarah Jans.

• Claudette Moran

April 29, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I have ancestors that owned land in that part as well. Her name was Annatje Luke, who married William Flansburgh.

• Claudette Moran

April 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm

William Brower, father to Sarah Brower Flansburg, who married Peter Deed Flasnburg, owned property near Trinity Church. And the Flansburgh Family owned property on Smith Street.

Buy the DVD

About the Series

The basic drive to discover who we are and where we come from is at the core of the new 10-part PBS series Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr., the 12th series from Professor Gates, the Alphonse Fletcher University Professor at Harvard University and director of the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research. Filmed on location across the United States, the series premieres nationally Sundays, March 25 – May 20 at 8 pm ET on PBS (check local listings).

Join the Community