finding your roots

Barbara Walters and Geoffrey Canada

Finding Your Roots looks into the ancestral pasts of journalist Barbara Walters and educator Geoffrey Canada. Watch the full episode. Episode credits.

Share:

comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Peggy Oberbeck

April 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I just loves the way Mr Gates makes connections of the past culture to the present culture. He is an absolute pleasure to listen to!!

• RL Canady

April 3, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I am doing research on the Canady families(african American) side.The program is very informative.

• Marian Aument

April 5, 2012 at 9:34 am

I saw the show for the first time last week and love it and PBS. If you ever want to do a show on a non-celebrity, my brother has traced my mom’s side, the Robideau’s, back to the 1500′s. The family has a French-Canadian background and was exploring the west before Lewis and Clark. Just a thought.

• April 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I love this. It’s awe inspiring

• AM

April 9, 2012 at 12:40 am

I love all the series that Dr. Gates has hosted. I missed 2 episodes of this ‘Finding your roots’ show and have come to your site to watch them. Have come many, many times. Each time it says that it is unavailable. Is it only available to US citizens?
    Please make it available to everyone all around the world. WE LOVE THESE SHOWS ON GENEALOGY and genetics.

• Hilary

April 10, 2012 at 4:27 am

I just wanted to say how I do so hope that Geoffrey Canada will eventually find Cannaday family members who will help him. I am saddened to see such a fine man, and great educator unable to educate himself further on his own family history.

Of course, there are other Cannadays out there and hopefully one of them will prove a more willing individual who will assist Geoffrey Canada. In my excitement, I checked my own family tree again but sadly I am unable to offer any help. Could he adopt us? ;) My family would only be too happy to have such a man in it.

Please, please Dr. Gates (and his team) keep us up to date if you would be so kind as to Geoffrey Canada’s story if he would be willing. I am so anxious that he should be able find this paternal ancestor.

Thanks so much for this show and the others that Dr. Gates has always so graciously hosted. My family and I have enjoyed them so very much.

All my best!

Hilary Duryee-Taber

• teresa

April 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm

what Geoffrey Canada states about having to fight is the same way I grew up. It was insanity! But that”s how it was you were just challenged at any time. I mean walking home from school was like land mines

• Liz

April 17, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I love these shows and was able to watch one from this website but for the past two days I cannot access the full episodes or any videos. In fact they are just black on the screen. And I can’t find any way to contact anyone except these comment areas. Would love to watch more; hope someone fixes the problem

• Erica Tegethoff

April 19, 2012 at 8:03 am

I am fascinated with the prospect of breaking down genetic code by continent. Could someone provide me with more information on genetic analysis services?

• Catherine Miller

April 23, 2012 at 9:02 am

I am finishing my masters in Elementary Education and I have quoted Geoffrey Canada many times. He is a professional hero to me. My passion is history and I find this subject so interesting. Americans are just mutts— which is why we are so strong. Pure-breds usually have a lot of problems!

Loved the show!

• JT Cannaday

May 8, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I was sitting and talking with my sons one night and the television was on with the sound off. As we were talking, one of my sons pointed at the TV and said “oh my gosh…look!”. On the screen was our family name…Cannaday. We turned up the sound and watched the episode. My sons knew about this chapter in our family history because it was important to me that they were aware that these events were not just footnotes in an old dusty history book. These events profoundly affected the lives of real people. When the show was over, my 17 year old son said that he felt a degree of shame but at the same time, pride. He asked me if I thought Geoffrey Canada hated us for what our family had done. I told him that from what I had just seen, I didn’t think so. This program made the stories of the past very real to my sons. The pride my son said he felt after watching this episode was due to the knowledge that he might very well be related to a man as decent and good as Geoffrey Canada. This is simply an outstanding program. The Cannaday family thanks you!

• Torilynn

May 16, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I was saddened by the fact that the White Cannady family would not assist in the dna analysis. How sad to carry such ignorance in the 21st century. Hopefully, there are other male Cannady’s who will chime in and provide the dna sample. These type of shows could do wonders for race relations in America. To find out that most are truly related could break down the barriers inherent in our society. Further, I have YET to see a White person profiled who showed us that there was traceable African genes in their dna. I am astounded because I know that there are many American Whites who do have it! Time to make in known, Skip! :)

• June 19, 2012 at 8:28 am

Great show! but I can’t understand why the y chromosome doesn’t have any African in it. When all of us originated from Africa.

• Terri Jensen

July 11, 2012 at 5:05 pm

My family loved this show, and we were so disappointed that the descendants of Charles Cannaday would not agree to have their DNA tested to assist Mr. Canada in his family search. My mom and aunt, both still living, are descendants of William Cannaday, aka Patrick Billy, who I believe was a brother to Charles Cannaday of Franklin, the slave owner in this episode. They would be happy to have their DNA tested if it would help!

This is a wonderful series…many thanks to Dr. Gates and all the participants for sharing their genealogical stories with us!

Terri Jensen

• Beaver dean

September 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I wish I could be one of Mister Gates subjects. I enjoy his research so much.

Buy the DVD

About the Series

The basic drive to discover who we are and where we come from is at the core of the new 10-part PBS series Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr., the 12th series from Professor Gates, the Alphonse Fletcher University Professor at Harvard University and director of the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research. Filmed on location across the United States, the series premieres nationally Sundays, March 25 – May 20 at 8 pm ET on PBS (check local listings).

Join the Community