finding your roots

Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon

Finding Your Roots looks into the ancestral pasts of real-life married Hollywood couple actors Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick. Watch the full episode. Episode credits.

Share:

comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments

• Barbara Selletti

May 10, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I really love Finding Your Roots and Dr. Gates strikes the right balance of research and entertainment. I am a passionate genealogist and librarian who put all my searching skills into finding not only my husband and my adoptive families, but found our original birth families. It would also be be thanks to another people’s research that I and my hubby were able to finally be whole. I loved the episode with Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick especially the part about them being cousins. Both my husband and I laughed because we too are distant (traceable) cousins. But then again, aren’t we all one family? Keep up the wonderful work and help others to be turned on to finding their roots!

• Llisa

May 20, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I was hoping they would tell me whether or not Kevin Bacon was related to Sir Francis Bacon or not. Oi gevalt.

• Deborah Shaw

May 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Speaking as someone descended from one rebel, Sir Thomas Wyatt 1521-1554, through both parents, I’d like to know if Kevin is related to another rebel, Nathaniel Bacon 1647?-1676.

I’d also like to know if the buffering can be improved, or if these episodes can be made available online at Netflix. Or if the file can be downloaded in an avi or mp4 format of less than 1000 MB. I wouldn’t mind if the leading ad were included. I wouldn’t mind if it expired and locked after two weeks. I just want to see it.

But it’s torture to watch five seconds, wait for it to load, watch three more seconds, wait for it to load. Or you can pause it for ten minutes and watch 15 whole seconds running before it has to load. I’m on DSL. I don’t have TV, so I can only watch online. You’d think PBS, if anyone, would be willing to help poor people, who can no longer get live TV off the air (digital converter doesn’t work) and can’t afford cable or satellite. It is the _public_ broadcasting system, is it not?

I hope I find out if Kevin is related to Nathaniel later in the show. I am writing this while paused about ten minutes in.

• Jonathan M.

June 22, 2012 at 3:19 am

I love this show!!! I cannot stop watching each episode. I admire Professor Gates for doing this. I want my family tree researched next, alongside with my DNA. Who knows, maybe I’ll find out that I am related to Joan of Arc or some figure of historical significance. Sign me up.

• June 25, 2012 at 1:24 am

At about minute 45, you show a diary entry for April 14th recording the death of Lincoln.

How can this be when he died at 7h22am of April 15th, and his death announcements went national on April 16th?

• Diane Norton

June 27, 2012 at 7:34 am

I found this very well done and most interesting. I like both of these actors very much and this was a treat to learn about their ancestry.

• sarah e

July 29, 2012 at 8:37 am

I am related to kyra and kevin and was told that we are believed to be related to francis.

• KaSandra A. Williams

September 13, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I love this show. I make my son and daughter watch it to learn and love history. I myself want to learn about my past. I know there is some interesting things that probably happened, but more so to know where I came from, because you can’t know where you you’re going until you know where you’ve been.

• Hope

September 17, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I kept waiting for the Bacon lineage to be discussed. Why was the Bacon name left out? Disappointed.

• John E. Roark Jr

November 25, 2012 at 11:07 am

11/25/12 re: Sedgwick Family Genealogy.
    While emphasis was duly placed on the life and contributions of “Theodore Sedgwick” to early Colonial and later American History, an equally famous “Sedgwick” ancestor was Theodore’s Nephew, John Segdwick, Major General, Union Army, West Point graduate, and ‘senior’ Union casualty of the Civil War, who was VI Corps Commander, AOP, killed by a sniper on May 9, 1864 during the battle of Spotsylvania Court House, VA. MG John Sedgwick, was admired and well respected by his soldiers, as well as General Officers on both sides of the conflict.

Buy the DVD

About the Series

The basic drive to discover who we are and where we come from is at the core of the new 10-part PBS series Finding Your Roots with Henry Louis Gates, Jr., the 12th series from Professor Gates, the Alphonse Fletcher University Professor at Harvard University and director of the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research. Filmed on location across the United States, the series premieres nationally Sundays, March 25 – May 20 at 8 pm ET on PBS (check local listings).

Join the Community