Lesson Plan: ENDLESSLY BEATING
Video Clip for TOUGH CHOICES
This segment of Endlessly Beating introduces Beth Bradley, an otherwise healthy woman who is on a heart transplant waiting list after suffering a heart attack. She is currently surviving due to an externally powered pump. Beth is one of more than 97,000 people waiting for an organ .
- Who is Beth Bradley and why does she need a heart transplant?
- Describe the way the heart works to distribute blood throughout the body.
- What happened to Beth's heart and how does it affect the functioning of her heart?
- What is a VAD? What types of VAD's exist? What was the original function of the VAD? What do doctors hope to accomplish with new technological advances to VAD's?
- What are some of the pros and cons of living with a VAD?