Issue #3: Building a Coalition to Effect Change in Your Community
1. Leadership Guide Is Online
2. How the ON OUR OWN TERMS Outreach Campaign Can Develop in Your Community
3. Goals of the Outreach Campaign
4. Imagining a Renewed Community
5. Building Coalitions to Effect Change
6. Help Us Set Up State and Local Online Networks
7. Help Us Grow This Campaign
1. LEADERSHIP GUIDE IS ONLINE
All the tools you need are in the Leadership Guide for ON OUR OWN TERMS: MOYERS ON DYING, now online. It's chock full of ideas and resources you can begin to use NOW to create a coalition to address end-of-life needs in your community. It's in easy-to-read HTML format, and also downloadable in PDF format.
Highlights of the Leadership Guide:
2. HOW THE "ON OUR OWN TERMS" OUTREACH CAMPAIGN CAN DEVELOP IN YOUR COMMUNITY
Facing death, whether it be a loved one's or the possibility of our own, can open us more fully to a deeper experience of life. Through caring conversations with our family and friends, among healthcare providers, clergy, and fellow citizens, we can begin to envision a more humane, compassionate, and trustworthy process for dying. For ideas on nurturing this environment, check out this link:
3. GOALS OF THIS OUTREACH CAMPAIGN
The goals of the ON OUR OWN TERMS outreach campaign are to
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ onourownterms/out/ leader_guide/vision2.html
- Expand broadcast viewership for ON OUR OWN TERMS in the fall of 2000
- Encourage the development of sustainable coalitions in cities and towns across the country to address community concerns around end-of-life care
- Generate dialogue and community action on end-of-life issues among the general public, healthcare professionals and institutions, organizations, and small groups
- Promote in-depth conversation that will enable individuals and families to address dying on a personal level
- Encourage public-policy makers to participate in public discussions of what constitutes appropriate end-of-life care and policies that may need to be addressed.
4. IMAGINING A RENEWED COMMUNITY
How might the outreach look in your town or city?
5. BUILDING COALITIONS TO EFFECT CHANGE
Your first assignment as a volunteer in the ON OUR OWN TERMS outreach campaign is to begin to building a local coalition. Read this section of the Leadership Guide and begin to think how you can organize in your local community right now!
Start thinking about who might be interested in serving on a steering committee. Think creatively about expanding the discussion -- adding new faces to those you usually see in your travels.
Ask yourself: what local organizations have a natural interest in end of life issues? Church groups? Government agencies? Educational institutions? Medical professionals? Hospitals? Hospice? Friends or family who may have lost someone to a lingering illness? Employers or personnel managers who have had employees suffer through a long-term care process?
Start thinking about possible activities which your steering committee could organize around end-of-life issues. By beginning this process now, you will be able to go a long way toward expanding the dialogue.
6. HELP US SET UP STATE AND LOCAL ONLINE NETWORKS
We are setting up state-by-state e-mail networks as soon as we have at least 10 volunteers per state. Volunteers can then brainstorm on how to grow the campaign locally. E-mail networks that promote dialogue on the local or community level will have the most face-to-face impact. You can help foster the developments of local networks by recruiting local people for the campaign and collecting their e-mail addresses.
We've had a great initial response to the call for volunteer moderators for state e-mail networks. We'll soon be setting up networks in 15 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, Missouri, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Oregon, and Pennsylvania. But we still need volunteers for the other states! If you have some time each week you can devote to moderating an online discussion group, please send e-mail to moyersoutreach@ bballard.com. In the subject line, type MODERATOR <<>YOUR STATE<>>.
7. HELP US GROW THE "ON OUR OWN TERMS" OUTREACH CAMPAIGN
Feel free to forward this message to friends and colleagues around the Internet and encourage them to get involved in the campaign. They can do so by sending e-mail to JOIN-MOYERSOUTREACH@ LISTS.LYRIS.NET