Pepperdine University Professor of Constitutional Law Douglas Kmiec, a well-known opponent of abortion, shocked his fellow Roman Catholics when he announced his endorsement of Barack Obama. Because of that endorsement, a priest denied Kmiec communion. Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony said the denial was “indefensible.” Kmiec describes his feelings about the incident and says it was a “teachable moment.” Also, he says it’s appropriate to examine how a candidate’s religious beliefs affect his or her politics.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
News of the Week
- Syrian Airstrikes Destroy Doctors Without Borders Hospital in Aleppo
- Vatican Hosts Stem Cell Research Conference
- Pope Francis Hears Teenaged Confessions in St. Peter’s Square
- Tennessee Counselors, Therapists Can Refuse to Treat Patients Based on “Sincerely Held Principles”
- Interfaith Groups: “No Faith Is Our Enemy”
- SEE ALL
R&E Video and News Widgets
Our news widget offers the latest headlines from our website.LEARN MORE