Pepperdine University Professor of Constitutional Law Douglas Kmiec, a well-known opponent of abortion, shocked his fellow Roman Catholics when he announced his endorsement of Barack Obama. Because of that endorsement, a priest denied Kmiec communion. Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony said the denial was “indefensible.” Kmiec describes his feelings about the incident and says it was a “teachable moment.” Also, he says it’s appropriate to examine how a candidate’s religious beliefs affect his or her politics.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
News of the Week
- Baltimore Religious Leaders March, Demonstrate, Work to Repair Riot-Torn Communities
- Faith-based Aid Organizations Face Challenges of Widespread Death and Damage in Nepal
- Pope Meets UN Secretary-General on Climate Change, Calls Gender Wage Disparity a “Scandal”
- Report Documents Religious Freedom Violations around the World
- Bail Revoked, Catholic Church Official Returns to Prison
- SEE ALL
see allWatch Full Episodes
R&E Video and News Widgets
Our news widget offers the latest headlines from our website.LEARN MORE