Pepperdine University Professor of Constitutional Law Douglas Kmiec, a well-known opponent of abortion, shocked his fellow Roman Catholics when he announced his endorsement of Barack Obama. Because of that endorsement, a priest denied Kmiec communion. Los Angeles Cardinal Roger Mahony said the denial was “indefensible.” Kmiec describes his feelings about the incident and says it was a “teachable moment.” Also, he says it’s appropriate to examine how a candidate’s religious beliefs affect his or her politics.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
- Religious Groups Condemn Middle-East Violence, Pray for Peace
- Iraq: “Mass Cleansing Based on Religion” as Christians Flee Mosul
- Thousands Attend Memorial Services to Mourn Victims of Downed Malaysian Plane
- Imprisoned Sudanese Christian Woman Released, Greeted at Vatican
- Mixed Religious Reactions to Obama’s Executive Order on Discrimination
- SEE ALL
see allWatch Full Episodes
R&E Video and News Widgets
Our news widget offers the latest headlines from our website.LEARN MORE