On December 1, the District of Columbia City Council is scheduled to vote on the Religious Freedom and Marriage Equality Amendment Act, which would legalize same-sex marriage. The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington has said that if the measure–which is subject to Congressional review–takes effect, its social service partnerships with the DC government may have to stop. (The Archdiocese refuses to place children with gay parents in foster care and adoptions, and it and would not pay spousal benefits to same-sex employees.) Watch Washington’s Archbishop Donald Wuerl on November 20 describing his church’s position.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
Tags: Archdiocese of Washington, Catholic, Charities, DC, District of Columbia, Donald Wuerl, marriage equality, religious freedom, same-sex marriage, social service
- Religious Groups, Pope Call for Peace as Middle East Conflict Escalates
- Obama Comment on Middle East Conflict at Iftar Shocks Muslim Group
- Religious Groups Organize and Express Support for Migrant Children
- Italian Newspaper: Pope Francis Says Two Percent of Catholic Priests are Pedophiles
- Archbishop John Nienstedt, Others Accused of Sex Abuse Cover Up
- SEE ALL
see allWatch Full Episodes
R&E Video and News Widgets
Our news widget offers the latest headlines from our website.LEARN MORE