On December 1, the District of Columbia City Council is scheduled to vote on the Religious Freedom and Marriage Equality Amendment Act, which would legalize same-sex marriage. The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington has said that if the measure–which is subject to Congressional review–takes effect, its social service partnerships with the DC government may have to stop. (The Archdiocese refuses to place children with gay parents in foster care and adoptions, and it and would not pay spousal benefits to same-sex employees.) Watch Washington’s Archbishop Donald Wuerl on November 20 describing his church’s position.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
News of the Week
- Obama Visits Mosque and Denounces Anti-Muslim Sentiments
- Muslim Groups Band Together to Form Joint Council
- Obama Speaks at National Prayer Breakfast
- Zika Virus Threat Renews Debate over Women’s Right to Abortion
- Pope, En Route to Mexico, Will Meet in Cuba with Patriarch of Russian Orthodox Church
- SEE ALL
see allWatch Full Episodes
R&E Video and News Widgets
Our news widget offers the latest headlines from our website.LEARN MORE