On December 1, the District of Columbia City Council is scheduled to vote on the Religious Freedom and Marriage Equality Amendment Act, which would legalize same-sex marriage. The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington has said that if the measure–which is subject to Congressional review–takes effect, its social service partnerships with the DC government may have to stop. (The Archdiocese refuses to place children with gay parents in foster care and adoptions, and it and would not pay spousal benefits to same-sex employees.) Watch Washington’s Archbishop Donald Wuerl on November 20 describing his church’s position.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
News of the Week
- Syrian Airstrikes Destroy Doctors Without Borders Hospital in Aleppo
- Vatican Hosts Stem Cell Research Conference
- Pope Francis Hears Teenaged Confessions in St. Peter’s Square
- Tennessee Counselors, Therapists Can Refuse to Treat Patients Based on “Sincerely Held Principles”
- Interfaith Groups: “No Faith Is Our Enemy”
- SEE ALL
R&E Video and News Widgets
Our news widget offers the latest headlines from our website.LEARN MORE