The town of Uman in central Ukraine is the site of the grave of Rabbi Nachman of Breslov (1772-1810), a Chassidic mystic and the continuing and only central leader ever acknowledged by Breslov Chassidism. Uman is a place of annual pilgrimage for tens of thousands of Jews from all over the world, including Rebbi Nachman’s followers and a wide range of other devout Jews, who come for Rosh Hashanah to pray at his grave. View a gallery of photographs taken at Uman during this year’s pilgrimage by Leonard Cooper of Potomac, Maryland.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
News of the Week
- ISIS Attacks Christian Minorities in Syria, Ancient Artifacts in Iraq
- Muslim Leaders Hold Anti-ISIS Meeting in Mecca
- Muslims in Norway Protect Oslo Synagogue with Human “Ring of Peace”
- Muslim Men from Brooklyn Arrested for Supporting ISIS
- Indian Jesuit Priest Released from Captivity in Afghanistan
- SEE ALL
see allWatch Full EpisodesFebruary 20, 2015: White House Summit on Extremism; A Conversation with Rabbi Jonathan Sacks; Churches in Pubs
R&E Video and News Widgets
Our news widget offers the latest headlines from our website.LEARN MORE