The town of Uman in central Ukraine is the site of the grave of Rabbi Nachman of Breslov (1772-1810), a Chassidic mystic and the continuing and only central leader ever acknowledged by Breslov Chassidism. Uman is a place of annual pilgrimage for tens of thousands of Jews from all over the world, including Rebbi Nachman’s followers and a wide range of other devout Jews, who come for Rosh Hashanah to pray at his grave. View a gallery of photographs taken at Uman during this year’s pilgrimage by Leonard Cooper of Potomac, Maryland.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
News of the Week
- Faith Groups Respond to Ferguson with Prayer Vigils, Marches, and Special Services
- NYC Mayor Meets with Religious Leaders to Heal Divisions Over Police Choke Hold
- Catholic Journalist James Foley Killed by Islamic State Group
- Middle East Patriarchs Visit Christian Refugees in Iraq, Denounce Armed Extremists
- Pope Supports Use of Force to Stop “Unjust Agressor”
- SEE ALL
see allWatch Full Episodes
R&E Video and News Widgets
Our news widget offers the latest headlines from our website.LEARN MORE