The town of Uman in central Ukraine is the site of the grave of Rabbi Nachman of Breslov (1772-1810), a Chassidic mystic and the continuing and only central leader ever acknowledged by Breslov Chassidism. Uman is a place of annual pilgrimage for tens of thousands of Jews from all over the world, including Rebbi Nachman’s followers and a wide range of other devout Jews, who come for Rosh Hashanah to pray at his grave. View a gallery of photographs taken at Uman during this year’s pilgrimage by Leonard Cooper of Potomac, Maryland.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE...
News of the Week
- Tunisian Democracy Group Wins Nobel Peace Prize
- President Apologizes for Deadly Airstrike on Doctors Without Borders Hospital in Afghanistan
- Violence Escalates in Jerusalem and West Bank
- Catholic Synod on the Family Underway in Rome
- Poll: Positive Impact of Pope Francis on Views of the Church, Especially Among Democrats and Liberals
- SEE ALL
see allWatch Full Episodes
R&E Video and News Widgets
Our news widget offers the latest headlines from our website.LEARN MORE